Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-09-24T17:07:34Z by QCMR_Prashant_Avashia
QCMR_Prashant_Avashia
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Has anyone installed Python 2.7+ version softwware on RHEL 6.4 LPAR over POWER 7+ platform?

‏2013-09-24T01:42:22Z |

Team,

Has anyone on this community successfully installed and compiled Python 2.7+ software on RHEL 6.4 over POWER 7+ platform?

I would like to learn about your experiences, and what specifically did you do to achieve a successful installation.

Here is my recent experience:

• My platform is Power 7+ LPAR (Machine type: 9117-MMD).
  • Installed RHEL 6.4 (redhat-release-server-6Server-6.4.0.4.el6.ppc64)
  • Kernel: 2.6.32-358.el6.ppc64
  • RHEL 6.4 standard distribution software appears pre-included with Python 2.6.6 version code, in RPM packaging format.
  • Also installed IBM XLC_linux (V12.1), and gcc 4.4.7 compilers on the LPAR.
  • Attempted to download and install Python 2.7.5 as open-source from www.python.org, and ran into errors, as below:

ERROR:

The README with the Python 2.7.5 clearly states the following statement:

"For example, if you want to install Python 2.5, 2.6 and 3.0 with 2.6 being the primary version, you would execute "make install" in your 2.6 build directory and "make altinstall" in the others.".

I did not find any Python 2.6.6 makefiles in the RHEL 6.4, so, I chose to execute "Make altinstall" in my 2.7.5 directory. It threw the following errors:

Python build finished, but the necessary bits to build these modules were not found:
_bsddb             _curses            _curses_panel
_sqlite3           _ssl               _tkinter
bsddb185           bz2                dbm
dl                 gdbm               imageop
readline           sunaudiodev        zlib
To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the module's name.

Thank You.   

• ArtisWalker
    ArtisWalker
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Has anyone installed Python 2.7+ version softwware on RHEL 6.4 LPAR over POWER 7+ platform?

‏2013-09-24T05:35:22Z  in response to QCMR_Prashant_Avashia

You did not specify the version of python you attempted to install.   I found this literature on installation of Python.   Please look through it and ensure you downloaded the correct version of python for your system ( ie 64bit or 32bit,  ).

http://geosci.uchicago.edu/~rtp1/PrinciplesPlanetaryClimate/Python/pythonInstall.html

• ArtisWalker
      ArtisWalker
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Has anyone installed Python 2.7+ version softwware on RHEL 6.4 LPAR over POWER 7+ platform?

‏2013-09-24T05:39:10Z  in response to ArtisWalker

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4149361/on-linux-suse-or-redhat-how-do-i-load-python-2-7

• QCMR_Prashant_Avashia
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-24T17:07:34Z  in response to ArtisWalker

Thank you, for your guidance.

Apologies -- inadvertently, I omitted stating the Python version, in my original post. {Good Catch!}

I had downloaded Python version 2.7.5 source from www.python.org

It is an open source code, that can be compiled for various 32 bit or 64 bit environments.Through the stepwise process of Configure; Make; Make install [or] Make altinstall I executed the build in the ppc64 environment.

Also, thank you for additional pointers, as you provided in a separate response post, to the initial  message.