• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-03-21T16:41:58Z by Katherine Sanders
RobertoTengan
RobertoTengan
7 Posts

Pinned topic "Enable Persistence" and Orchestration "ERRORED"

‏2014-01-22T15:37:14Z |

Hi guys

I have some doubts about the Orchestrations options on WMC. What can I do if the Job of one Orchestration fail or go to status "ERRORED" for some reason? Can I submit again the request? edit the initial value of process.

I guess the option "Enable Persistence" is used for this case.

Using this option I can do this or if a Job go to status "ERRORED", I starts another Job with the same data or can I restart this same Job?

Best Regards

Updated on 2014-01-22T16:12:26Z at 2014-01-22T16:12:26Z by RobertoTengan
  • jainnitin10
    jainnitin10
    5 Posts

Re: "Enable Persistence" and Orchestration "ERRORED"

‏2014-01-23T10:04:53Z  

you can always do that..undeploy your orchestration and edit the properties and again deploy the project.

• RobertoTengan
    RobertoTengan
    7 Posts

‏2014-01-23T12:30:24Z  

you can always do that..undeploy your orchestration and edit the properties and again deploy the project.

Sorry, I didn't understand

If I undeploy the orchestration and redeploy. All the jobs that didn't complete very well will be restarted?

• YPS1_guybrush_guybrush
    14 Posts

‏2014-03-21T00:56:56Z  

The "Enable persistence" option doesn't work the way you assume it to be. It's meant to support the recovery of those work in progress jobs in case the appliance goes down. Since the states and the inputs of the jobs were all persisted to the storage, after the appliance is resumed, those jobs will be recovered by the appliance and complete until they finish. it's sort of like a guaranteed delivery option to make sure in case something happens to the appliance, they're still means to recover those in flight data without any loss. However, if you turn this option on for orchestration, the performance will be slower due to the disk io activity(read/write) of the states into storage.

Correct me if wrong. 

• Katherine Sanders
    Katherine Sanders
    11 Posts

‏2014-03-21T16:41:58Z  

The "Enable persistence" option doesn't work the way you assume it to be. It's meant to support the recovery of those work in progress jobs in case the appliance goes down. Since the states and the inputs of the jobs were all persisted to the storage, after the appliance is resumed, those jobs will be recovered by the appliance and complete until they finish. it's sort of like a guaranteed delivery option to make sure in case something happens to the appliance, they're still means to recover those in flight data without any loss. However, if you turn this option on for orchestration, the performance will be slower due to the disk io activity(read/write) of the states into storage.

Correct me if wrong. 

I enable persistence for most orchestrations.  If you don't turn it on, it stores the job data in memory, and you can run out if the jobs are long running or processing a lot of data.  In most cases you want the job to pick up where it left off if the appliance is rebooted too.

If an orchestration errors and you need to run it again, you should design it so you can trigger it to run with the same set of data again.  For example if the starter activity is an HTTP receive request, you should run it with the same headers and request body etc.  Or if it's processing a set of data from a file or a database, you make sure it reads the same set again the next time.

You may be able to see the input that was used for a specific job if you have logging on a higher level.  However in production you should be using Error Values so this won't work.