Topic
11 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-04-18T16:10:42Z by Wolfgang Uhr
llandale
llandale
2943 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Great new Changes

‏2013-04-15T17:49:27Z |

I just love these "great new changes" to the forums.  While it was down I was committed to handle my posting-withdrawls.

• GregM_dxler
    GregM_dxler
    162 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Great new Changes

‏2013-04-15T21:37:09Z  in response to llandale

Hey Louie, I hear you.  I felt like I was lost and all alone without this forum! 

By the way, I noticed that one of my previous postings is now posted by someone else.  So if people are looking for their old posts, they might not be under your display name!

• nm3210
    nm3210
    7 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-16T13:05:13Z  in response to llandale

This is ridiculous, hopefully they get things straightened up quickly. And I have the same problem where it seems that my old posts look like they're someone else.

(edit: if the developers actually read this and want to bug check, this thread is supposed to have been created by me, but it looks like the user sbhupa created it. It's probably because I joined recently.) (edit2: AT LEAST WE CAN EDIT THINGS NOW!!)

Updated on 2013-04-16T13:13:38Z at 2013-04-16T13:13:38Z by nm3210
  • ChrisAnnal
    ChrisAnnal
    64 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-17T13:56:47Z  in response to llandale

I'm lost, too. It seems like this is a case of "change for the sake of change". A Forum doesn't have to be fancy, it just has to serve the needs of the participants. I suppose I'll have to get used to this new format since IBM went to all this trouble of changing things for our benefit.

• OurGuest
      OurGuest
      163 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-17T15:27:36Z  in response to ChrisAnnal

The purpose apparently wasn't for the purpose of our benefit, apparently is was just to train the inexperience web developer.  Have you ever noticed that for last several years the web developer's hasn't even cared enough to do a spell check for example on the opening page they have had misspelling in their own product name:   i.e.,  "Raitional DOORS product".  

• llandale
      llandale
      2943 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-17T17:20:55Z  in response to ChrisAnnal

While I'm thinking and feeling much the same; just be be contrary I'd like to point out the principle that "You like what you know".  For example young folks presented the choice between typewriters and word processors always pick the later, yet many old folks who wrote on typewriters prefer them.

• nm3210
        nm3210
        7 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-17T19:22:35Z  in response to llandale

I think the biggest problem is now half of the topics come up with a 'Page not found' when you search for them (via Google or internally). I mean that's a lot of resources basically trapped under incorrect redirects.

• Wolfgang Uhr
          Wolfgang Uhr
          206 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-17T20:03:55Z  in response to nm3210

There are some other points I can add

a) My posts are adressed to sbhupa too

b) Now it is absolutely impossible to use this forum in my office. There I have some administrative restrictions and the old forum just works, but the new one I can forget.

c) The code sequences in the old posts are damaged

d) The internal search routine does not work.

> I mean that's a lot of resources basically trapped under incorrect redirects.

In normal case the server shall send a "redirect permanent" one time and google upgrades the new adress. Thats the way how to handle such things ...

• Mike.Scharnow
            Mike.Scharnow
            147 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-18T05:38:42Z  in response to Wolfgang Uhr

just found https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Improvements+in+developerWorks+Community

which states "Q. In Forums, why is the "System Admin" or "sbhupa" profile showing up in place of other profiles? A. […] We will be able to restore posts to the original owner for those with high post counts."

Hm. Apparently, I did not write enough to the forum in the past (new post count: 2) and Louie did (post count: 2254). So, Let's start answering more questions :)

• nm3210
            nm3210
            7 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-18T13:43:09Z  in response to Wolfgang Uhr

I understand how Google handles new redirects and the such, but the problem is how the new software is handling it. Take this for example (from this search) which only shows a single post within [what you'd expect] the entire thread. How on earth do I find the original thread which has the actual information I want? Searching the thread title "Constrained Placement - Center" with the internal search brings up nothing at all and google only brings up that one single post. Where did the rest of that info go??

edit: I could eventually find the whole thread by using this search and then I had to click on the link to repeat the search with omitted results and then finally the thread was the third link down. That's ridiculous.

• Wolfgang Uhr
              Wolfgang Uhr
              206 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-18T16:10:42Z  in response to nm3210

They have told us: A lot of exiting new things ...

Try to use the mouse to copy something ...