• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-08-07T10:03:08Z by 9RYQ_Kiran_mk
Jotac
Jotac
82 Posts

Pinned topic db2relocatedb tool

‏2013-07-11T08:26:48Z |

DB2 v9.7.0.5 on Linux Red Hat

I was looking for someone that had succesfully experience using the db2relocatedb tool to move databases.

I will have to relocate several db to a different machine (but eachone is a member of the same cluster) and to a different istance. The new istance have already some database. I was looking around to find the best way and I have found the db2relocatedb tool so I wonder if hanyone want to share hints&tips using this tool.

ciao

GIovanni

• Kelly Rodger
    Kelly Rodger
    7 Posts

Re: db2relocatedb tool

‏2013-07-12T18:39:31Z  

What is it that you need to get done Giovanni?

db2relocatedb doesn't actually 'move' any data, it just allows the DB and its metadata to be reconfigured after it's been physically moved by some other manual method.  That could be exactly what you want, I'm just not certain from your post.

Depending on your needs, a simpler approach might just be a backup and restore, or redirected restore if necessary.

Kelly

• Jotac
    Jotac
    82 Posts

‏2013-07-14T15:21:32Z  

What is it that you need to get done Giovanni?

db2relocatedb doesn't actually 'move' any data, it just allows the DB and its metadata to be reconfigured after it's been physically moved by some other manual method.  That could be exactly what you want, I'm just not certain from your post.

Depending on your needs, a simpler approach might just be a backup and restore, or redirected restore if necessary.

Kelly

Looking better and deeper on the documentation I saw, db2relocatdb isn't so cool. I was at initial stage of one task and at the end I have completed everytingh using redirected restore.

Thank you for yout attention, ciao

GIovanni

• 9RYQ_Kiran_mk
    9RYQ_Kiran_mk
    78 Posts

‏2013-08-07T10:03:08Z  

DB2 Split mirror is one option which you can use along with your redirected restore.  Split mirror is bit faster approach to move the database but only concern is you have to use the OS utilities and 3rd party backup utilities.