• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-29T02:56:23Z by John23
John23
John23
3 Posts

Pinned topic MIgrating data form DB2 for i5/OS R2 to DB2 10

‏2013-10-06T18:23:12Z |

Hi,

I have to migrate some databases from a DB2 for IBM i5/OS R2 to DB2 10 on a linux environment.

Now I've seen that there are tons of tools for migrating from other vendors to IBM I, but in our particular scenario we're going to discontinue the use of the rented AS 400 mainframe that hosts the i5, so we need to export those databases.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

• scott_klement
    scott_klement
    31 Posts

Re: MIgrating data form DB2 for i5/OS R2 to DB2 10

‏2013-10-28T22:28:36Z  

Not sure what "R2" means in your description.   DB2 for IBM i (formerly known as i5/OS) is built-in to the operating system, and the OS was built from the ground up (in part) optimized to be excellent for DB2.  So the version of the OS is the version of DB2.  

If you're on a recent enough release (since I don't know what R2 is), at the OS command line, you should be able to run a command named CPYTOIMPF to export your tables into a CSV file that you could use to import into the DB2 for Linux or whatever.

IBM i Navigator ("iNav")  also has tools to generate stuff like the proper 'create table' definitions if you want to import those as well...  

• John23
    John23
    3 Posts

‏2013-10-29T00:21:31Z  

Not sure what "R2" means in your description.   DB2 for IBM i (formerly known as i5/OS) is built-in to the operating system, and the OS was built from the ground up (in part) optimized to be excellent for DB2.  So the version of the OS is the version of DB2.  

If you're on a recent enough release (since I don't know what R2 is), at the OS command line, you should be able to run a command named CPYTOIMPF to export your tables into a CSV file that you could use to import into the DB2 for Linux or whatever.

IBM i Navigator ("iNav")  also has tools to generate stuff like the proper 'create table' definitions if you want to import those as well...  

Hi Scott,

Thank you your response. 

I think the R2 means release 2 please see the following link IBM OS/400 V5R2 - Enterprise IT Management Made Simple

I'll try your suggestions. If you have any other recommendations I'll gladly look into them.

Thank you.

• scott_klement
    scott_klement
    31 Posts

‏2013-10-29T01:34:22Z  
    • John23
    • ‏2013-10-29T00:21:31Z

Hi Scott,

Thank you your response. 

I think the R2 means release 2 please see the following link IBM OS/400 V5R2 - Enterprise IT Management Made Simple

I'll try your suggestions. If you have any other recommendations I'll gladly look into them.

Thank you.

Your link says V5R2 (not just "R2").     You're right that the "R" means release.  So "Version 5 Release 2", or you could also call it "version 5.2".  

The R2 without the V5 didn't make much sense.   All cleared up now, though.

• John23
    John23
    3 Posts

‏2013-10-29T02:56:23Z  

Your link says V5R2 (not just "R2").     You're right that the "R" means release.  So "Version 5 Release 2", or you could also call it "version 5.2".  

The R2 without the V5 didn't make much sense.   All cleared up now, though.

I thought that that's what the 5 next to the i stood for i5OS.

Anyways thank you.