Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-11-26T06:31:32Z by Wei_Huang
M7M4_Scott_Smith
M7M4_Scott_Smith
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Running out of Java Heap memory when running a WareHouse application

‏2013-11-25T20:02:45Z |

I have developed a Warehouse application using Design Studio, version 10.1.  The application runs successfully within Design Studio, but when I deploy and run on my SUSE V11 LINUX server, the application "hangs" after processing one or two files via the "File Iterator operator".

In the following directory,

/opt/ibm/ISWarehouse10/AdminConsole, I have found a JavaCore file that contains the following error:

Dump Event "systhrow" (00040000) Detail "java/lang/OutOfMemoryError" "Java heap space" received

Is there a way to increase the amount of memory allocated to the java heap?

I have deployed and executed many other Data warehousing applications, but this is the only one causing problems.  It is processing 25+ CSV files via the Interator operator, and for each file, a different sub-process is invoked. 

Thanks

Scott

• Wei_Huang
    Wei_Huang
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Running out of Java Heap memory when running a WareHouse application

‏2013-11-26T02:18:56Z  in response to M7M4_Scott_Smith

Hi Scott,

There was a memory issue when you indicate a very large number as the end number in the iterator (e.g. you specify a loop from 1 to 1 million), but for your case, it appeared to be a different case.

I suggest you open a PMR and pass the flows (control flow and related sub-processes) to us for deep investigation.

Thanks,
    Wei.

• M7M4_Scott_Smith
      M7M4_Scott_Smith
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-26T03:57:20Z  in response to Wei_Huang

Thanks for your input Wei.

I will raise PMR, but wanted to share my investigation to date.

My new test application is composed of an interator that loops through 21 files.  Within the iterator loop is a sub-process that contains 21  string compare operators; One for each file name.  If a compare operator evaluates to true, run a sub-process else run the next compare operator,etc.

In Design Studio, I run out of memory after 10 loops of the iterator.  In other words, each time the sub-process with the 21 compare operators run, a lot of memory is used up.  When I deploy on LINUX, I run out of memory after just to 2 - 5 iterations.

Have you heard of this issue before?  I am running V10.1

Thanks

Scott

• Wei_Huang
        Wei_Huang
        3 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-26T06:31:32Z  in response to M7M4_Scott_Smith

Hi Scott,

Haven't heard of this symptom.

As this issue is easy to reproduce and most probably needs an APAR fix, let's use PMR to trace - which will be more efficient.

Thanks,
        Wei.