Topic
  • 13 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-06-29T18:24:34Z by wrt
egraham
egraham
4 Posts

Pinned topic Installation Toolkit - problems running/won't boot kernel

‏2013-03-05T03:45:58Z |
I am trying to use the Installation Toolkit (5.3) to install RHEL 6.3 on a PowerLinux 7R2.  The machine has no access to a network or DNS.  The Installation disc boots, dhcp fails on all 6 network ports, so when prompted if I want to configure the network, I enter 'y'.  The local host shows that it is up, and I manually configure eth5 to have an IP address of 10.0.0.1 and a mask of 255.0.0.0.  No changes are made to DNS or the domain.  I get to the screen with the option to "Start Wizard", but when I select it, I get the following error:

"libgbm: zero screen dimension, assuming 80x25 
 Error code 502 
 Error code explanation: 502 = Invalid responses from another server/proxy" 

What makes this more confusing is that I tried the above procedure multiple times, and one time, I was able to proceed to the license splash screen and begin installing Linux.  But after configuring partitions, etc., vmlinuz failed to load at the boot prompt.

Originally, it was thought that the boot option "xdrive=vesa" had something to do with the further progress.  But this option was used again in subsequent attempts, and the installation failed each time (at the same point - "Start Wizard"). 

How do I get the Installation Toolkit to work in this configuration, i.e., no network connection?  Is a graphical installation possible?  And it would be preferable to have the ability to install without the HMC.

Thanks for any information you may have.
Updated on 2013-03-13T16:14:10Z at 2013-03-13T16:14:10Z by egraham
  • anibal.carvalho
    anibal.carvalho
    26 Posts

Re: Installation Toolkit - problems running/won't boot kernel

‏2013-03-05T16:06:53Z  
     Hello.

Thank you for reporting this issue. We will investigate it and answer you with more information about it.

Thanks,
    Anibal.
  • lucio.correia
    lucio.correia
    22 Posts

‏2013-03-05T19:32:49Z  
    Hi egraham,

Regarding the error 502, we have observed it on some systems. It seems the ibmit4linux service is taking more time to be up than the page requests from the user, then the error happens. The workaround is keep trying like you did.

Regarding the failure on vmlinuz boot, there is a known issue documented on our user guide saying it may happen during Red Hat installations when the system has a USB key attached to. Is that your case?

In summary, IBMIT is supposed to work on your environment. We are investigating if we have a bug.

The graphical installation is not supported yet. The installation wizard can be used from a web browser, but when it finishes, the installation process continues from the console. 
  • egraham
    egraham
    4 Posts

‏2013-03-06T03:35:43Z  
     Hi,

Thanks for both of your responses. 

@lucio.correia - No, there is no USB key attached to the system.
  • ManasKumarNayak
    ManasKumarNayak
    6 Posts

‏2013-03-06T08:47:24Z  
    Hello Erin Graham,
    You are using full box 7R2 system or LPAR ?
     Are you using physical DVD disk or virtual DVD ?

Thanks...
    Manas

• ibmstu
    ibmstu
    4 Posts

‏2013-03-06T13:42:36Z  
    Hello Erin Graham,
    You are using full box 7R2 system or LPAR ?
     Are you using physical DVD disk or virtual DVD ?

Thanks...
    Manas

I am the IBM CTS and was helping on site.

The single LPAR is the entire machine. There is no VIOS, so we are using a physical DVD.
  • ibmstu
    ibmstu
    4 Posts

‏2013-03-06T14:40:05Z  
    Hi egraham,

Regarding the error 502, we have observed it on some systems. It seems the ibmit4linux service is taking more time to be up than the page requests from the user, then the error happens. The workaround is keep trying like you did.

Regarding the failure on vmlinuz boot, there is a known issue documented on our user guide saying it may happen during Red Hat installations when the system has a USB key attached to. Is that your case?

In summary, IBMIT is supposed to work on your environment. We are investigating if we have a bug.

The graphical installation is not supported yet. The installation wizard can be used from a web browser, but when it finishes, the installation process continues from the console. 
    Would the lack of a complete network configuration (no DNS, no other nodes in subnet) slow the start of the daemon?How can we work around this?

We were only successful 1 time in more than a dozen attempts.
  • anibal.carvalho
    anibal.carvalho
    26 Posts

‏2013-03-07T13:20:40Z  
    • ibmstu
    • ‏2013-03-06T14:40:05Z
    Would the lack of a complete network configuration (no DNS, no other nodes in subnet) slow the start of the daemon?How can we work around this?

We were only successful 1 time in more than a dozen attempts.
    I don't believe that lacking a DNS configuration will slow the start of the daemon.
    Are you able to access the configured IP somehow? If this is possible then you can access the graphical interface through a browser pointing to this ip address using port 4233:

1) Choose option 1 - Wizard Mode (or 2 - Rescue Mode then run 'welcomecenter')
    2) Point your browser to http://10.0.0.1:4233

This may workaround the connection issue.

About the vmlinuz issue, do you have other devices attached to this machine? Through fiber channel, USB or something else? Like a storage or even the DVD drive?
  • JayFurmanek
    JayFurmanek
    113 Posts

‏2013-03-08T04:22:05Z  
     I can see why you want to use the Installation Toolkit here since you do not have a network to grab the additional tools from the online repository, however the IBMIT is absolutely not required to install RHEL.

Since the IBMIT may be having a problem, I'd recommend just booting from the RHEL media and perform the install that way. You can still give it an IP and connect directly with a laptop or whatever in order to enable the VNC graphical install. Type "linux vnc" at the boot: prompt.

Afterwards, you can always install the tools from the IBMIT disc. Post back if you need help with this.
    Updated on 2013-03-08T04:22:05Z at 2013-03-08T04:22:05Z by JayFurmanek
  • egraham
    egraham
    4 Posts

‏2013-03-08T16:51:19Z  
     I can see why you want to use the Installation Toolkit here since you do not have a network to grab the additional tools from the online repository, however the IBMIT is absolutely not required to install RHEL.

Since the IBMIT may be having a problem, I'd recommend just booting from the RHEL media and perform the install that way. You can still give it an IP and connect directly with a laptop or whatever in order to enable the VNC graphical install. Type "linux vnc" at the boot: prompt.

Afterwards, you can always install the tools from the IBMIT disc. Post back if you need help with this.
     Thanks.  This is actually what we ended up doing, apart from the graphical install.
  • ibmstu
    ibmstu
    4 Posts

‏2013-03-08T17:02:31Z  
    • egraham
    • ‏2013-03-08T16:51:19Z
     Thanks.  This is actually what we ended up doing, apart from the graphical install.
     There is a distinct advantage to using the IT in this case.  With a RH text install, custom partitioning of drives is not possible.  Some people there prefer to custom partition the drives (and not use logical volumes), and add packages/roles during the install.

If a fix or workaround for Error 502 could be found, it would help a lot.
  • JayFurmanek
    JayFurmanek
    113 Posts

‏2013-03-11T15:18:31Z  
    • ibmstu
    • ‏2013-03-08T17:02:31Z
     There is a distinct advantage to using the IT in this case.  With a RH text install, custom partitioning of drives is not possible.  Some people there prefer to custom partition the drives (and not use logical volumes), and add packages/roles during the install.

If a fix or workaround for Error 502 could be found, it would help a lot.
    The RedHat graphical installer supports custom layouts, LVM/non-LVM, installs to multipath storage, storage encryption, and custom software installation. Using the VNC option at the boot prompt allows for use of the graphical installer when no graphics adapter is present. I'd almost always recommend using this method to install. The only drawback is that you have to add the IBM tools post-install to enable Dynamic resource provisioning (DLPAR).

The main benefit of the Installation Toolkit is that it installs the DLPAR tools for you straight from the Toolkit during install.  This is helpful if you have no network connection, and hence no way to get the DLPAR tools.

The RedHat text install should be avoided, although it should still work. It allows no customization and does not even install the 'Base' package group.

egraham - if you have a working installation now, I'd recommend installing at least the Base group: "yum groupinstall Base"
    You will need an active RHN connection or the installation disc mounted and enabled as a repo.
  • egraham
    egraham
    4 Posts

‏2013-03-13T16:14:10Z  
    The RedHat graphical installer supports custom layouts, LVM/non-LVM, installs to multipath storage, storage encryption, and custom software installation. Using the VNC option at the boot prompt allows for use of the graphical installer when no graphics adapter is present. I'd almost always recommend using this method to install. The only drawback is that you have to add the IBM tools post-install to enable Dynamic resource provisioning (DLPAR).

The main benefit of the Installation Toolkit is that it installs the DLPAR tools for you straight from the Toolkit during install.  This is helpful if you have no network connection, and hence no way to get the DLPAR tools.

The RedHat text install should be avoided, although it should still work. It allows no customization and does not even install the 'Base' package group.

egraham - if you have a working installation now, I'd recommend installing at least the Base group: "yum groupinstall Base"
    You will need an active RHN connection or the installation disc mounted and enabled as a repo.
     Thanks for your reply.  We have a working installation, and as far as I know, all of the packages have been installed.
  • wrt
    wrt
    8 Posts

‏2013-06-29T18:24:34Z  

""to grab the additional tools from the online repository""

Does IBM IT need internet?