Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-12-20T22:21:10Z by PD05_Hågen_Hasle
Takakiyo
Takakiyo
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Liberty profile fixpack installation using self-extracting archive

‏2013-12-20T07:41:48Z |

I'm using WAS Liberty profile 8.5.5.0, and going to apply 8.5.5.1 fixpack. I don't need to uninstall the fixpack, so want to overwrite existing environment. According to description of InfoCenter, it seems that fixpack can overwrite onto current installation.

I downloaded wlp-developers-runtime-8.5.5.1.jar from WASDev, and run it. But I couldn't select existing directory because of 'Directory already exists' error message.

How can I apply fixpack onto same directory ?

• XNF0_Duane_Appleby
    XNF0_Duane_Appleby
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Liberty profile fixpack installation using self-extracting archive

‏2013-12-20T10:49:45Z  in response to Takakiyo

I believe this to be a documentation error as the extractor stops you doing being able to do this - my understanding is that only Installation Manager (IM) installations of the Liberty profile are supported for updating an in-place installation through the use of IM installable fixpacks.  For self extracting archive installations you must install the fixpack to a new location and migrate user data.

Thank you for reporting this - I will investigate further and look to get the documentation updated.

• PD05_Hågen_Hasle
    PD05_Hågen_Hasle
    5 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-12-20T19:25:28Z  in response to Takakiyo

The self-extracting archive is basically just a zip-file, have you tried just unzipping it on top of your existing installation?

• Alasdair
      Alasdair
      55 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-12-20T19:58:47Z  in response to PD05_Hågen_Hasle

I wouldn't advise doing that because although there is some truth to what you say the archive install does things that are not replicated by just doing an unzip and can result in unpredictable results in some scenarios. It is also not a supported installation method and is not guaranteed to work in the future even in scenarios where it does today.

Thanks
      Alasdair