Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-12-16T21:31:18Z by KellyA
KellyA
KellyA
27 Posts

Pinned topic Recording service test w/Generic service client- failure on large transaction

‏2013-12-14T08:01:19Z |

I am running RPT 8.3.0.3 on Redhat Linux on a machine with 16 GB of RAM.  RPT is configured to use up to 8 GB of RAM (-Xmx8192m).  I'm using the generic service client to record a large web service transaction.  Based on testing the same transaction in SoapUI, I expect the transaction to take about six minutes, and return between five and ten megabytes of XML in the response.

When I select "Invoke", the Sending Request message appears and, for about 5 minutes, the UI is still responsive and CPU utilization is around 30% of one CPU core.  Monitoring the process, memory utilization is about 600 MB during this phase.  Then the UI freezes (greys out), the sliding status bar stops, and CPU utilization for the single core hits 100% and stays there.  Memory utilization jumps to 1.8 GB and remains constant.

Oddly enough it appears that the service being exercised is actually completing successfully.  At any time after the initial 5 minutes or so, before the UI freezes, I can check the database the request is updating and see that the target records have been updated as expected.  So it appears that the generic service client is freezing/failing while receiving and parsing the response.

I have allowed the process to run in excess of two hours on several occasions.  In one instance, the UI "unfroze" with a garbled result.  When I clicked anywhere on the RPT interface it froze again. 

This *looks* like a memory problem, but the RPT process seems to have allocated nowhere near the maximum amount of RAM it is provisioned.  Is there another setting somewhere to allocate memory to the Generic service client?  Are there some other settings I can tweek?  Or is this a known bug?

Updated on 2013-12-14T08:03:55Z at 2013-12-14T08:03:55Z by KellyA
  • KellyA
    KellyA
    27 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Recording service test w/Generic service client- failure on large transaction

‏2013-12-16T21:31:18Z  
    • AL1224
    • ‏2013-12-16T15:11:44Z

Hello,

You can try using these tips to make IBM® Rational® Performance Tester run faster and more efficiently:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rpthelp/v8r3m0/topic/com.ibm.rational.test.lt.doc/topics/c_perftips.html?

Unfortunately AL1224, performance optimization doesn't help.  I've looked though the material you linked to and it isn't applicable.  The problem relates to the SOA request / response capturing process, not to actual execution of a test or schedule.

Since I originally posted I've installed RPT 8.5.0.2, and it performs vast degree better.  In 8.3.0.3, when generating a service test with a 15 MB response, it was taking over an hour to resolve.  With 8.5.0.2, it is taking a few minutes after completion of the request.

Now my problem is that the response is being truncated to approximately 10 MB.  I'm not sure why, but I'll open a new question and close this one

• AL1224
    AL1224
    14 Posts

Re: Recording service test w/Generic service client- failure on large transaction

‏2013-12-16T15:11:44Z  

Hello,

You can try using these tips to make IBM® Rational® Performance Tester run faster and more efficiently:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rpthelp/v8r3m0/topic/com.ibm.rational.test.lt.doc/topics/c_perftips.html?

• KellyA
    KellyA
    27 Posts

‏2013-12-16T21:31:18Z  
    • AL1224
    • ‏2013-12-16T15:11:44Z

Hello,

Unfortunately AL1224, performance optimization doesn't help.  I've looked though the material you linked to and it isn't applicable.  The problem relates to the SOA request / response capturing process, not to actual execution of a test or schedule.

Since I originally posted I've installed RPT 8.5.0.2, and it performs vast degree better.  In 8.3.0.3, when generating a service test with a 15 MB response, it was taking over an hour to resolve.  With 8.5.0.2, it is taking a few minutes after completion of the request.

Now my problem is that the response is being truncated to approximately 10 MB.  I'm not sure why, but I'll open a new question and close this one