• 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-06-21T03:42:46Z by PrashantDhanker
PrashantDhanker
PrashantDhanker
67 Posts

Pinned topic FileNet integration with IBM BPM 8 through ESB Layer

‏2014-06-14T08:09:02Z |

Hi Members

My requirement is to integrate content manager i.e. in our case it is filenet content engine (hereafter called filenet), with IBM BPM 8.0.1 through ESB.

it would look like this: BPM --> ESB --> FileNet and FileNet --> ESB --> BPM

I need perform operations like Create, Update and Delete on documents. There are two different document classes at FileNet i.e. DocClassGen and DocClassComm.

Note: It is Client imposed restriction to use an Inrtegration layer between BPM and FileNet therefore we could be using IID for that.

My questions:

1) Is it possible? If yes, then using IID?

2) Can I do above mentioned operations?

3) If I opt to use IBM Integration Designer, then can I simply import jace.jar of Content Engine and use its APIs to do the operations?

4) What could be the implications of this approach (if u think any)?

Any inputs are welcome.

Regards,

Prashant

• kolban
    kolban
    3322 Posts

Re: FileNet integration with IBM BPM 8 through ESB Layer

‏2014-06-14T22:44:37Z  

Hi there, I just wanted to validate that you have examined and discounted the in-built CMIS support for accessing CMIS compliant document management systems?  It is my understanding that FileNet is fully supported by IBM BPM for CMIS access.

• PrashantDhanker
    PrashantDhanker
    67 Posts

‏2014-06-16T04:32:18Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2014-06-14T22:44:37Z

Hi there, I just wanted to validate that you have examined and discounted the in-built CMIS support for accessing CMIS compliant document management systems?  It is my understanding that FileNet is fully supported by IBM BPM for CMIS access.

Thanks for the reply Neil.

Yes I am aware of CMIS support however client wants to use their integration layer for the communication which would happen in between FileNet and IBM BPM therefore we have no other way to go then to route all requests to the integration layer which client is already using and from their route them to IBM BPM/ FileNet.

Appreciate your inputs.

• Kiru.V
    Kiru.V
    3 Posts

‏2014-06-16T08:15:29Z  

Yes I am aware of CMIS support however client wants to use their integration layer for the communication which would happen in between FileNet and IBM BPM therefore we have no other way to go then to route all requests to the integration layer which client is already using and from their route them to IBM BPM/ FileNet.

Appreciate your inputs.

You can develop a RESTful web services implementation (similar to the CMIS interface) which can be deployed in the middle-layer and can be consumed by IBM BPM. It will be a simple wrapper of the FileNet CE/PE Java API calls in the form of CRUD services developed using JAX-RS compliant framework. Websphere comes built-in with an enhanced version of Apache Wink which can be leveraged for this purpose. For better interoperability you can also consider using Spring Web in the mix. 

• PrashantDhanker
    PrashantDhanker
    67 Posts

‏2014-06-18T18:14:22Z  
    • Kiru.V
    • ‏2014-06-16T08:15:29Z

You can develop a RESTful web services implementation (similar to the CMIS interface) which can be deployed in the middle-layer and can be consumed by IBM BPM. It will be a simple wrapper of the FileNet CE/PE Java API calls in the form of CRUD services developed using JAX-RS compliant framework. Websphere comes built-in with an enhanced version of Apache Wink which can be leveraged for this purpose. For better interoperability you can also consider using Spring Web in the mix. 

hmm....so u mean to say that I can expose CE JAVA API as RESTful webservice in the integration layer? Can u give more details on hw can I create CMIS layer inside my custom integration layer similar to IBM BPM?

• DQ1D_Glenn_Smith
    DQ1D_Glenn_Smith
    100 Posts

‏2014-06-18T19:19:02Z  

Appreciate your inputs.

Can you simply use the integration layer for forwarding?  Create a service in your integration layer which calls the Filenet CMIS services.  From BPM call that service.  You pass all communication through the integration layer, but don't really need to build and maintain anything.

• Kiru.V
    Kiru.V
    3 Posts

‏2014-06-18T22:00:10Z  

hmm....so u mean to say that I can expose CE JAVA API as RESTful webservice in the integration layer? Can u give more details on hw can I create CMIS layer inside my custom integration layer similar to IBM BPM?

Yes, you can expose the CE Java APIs in a more business friendly RESTFul implementation than what is being exposed by IBM's CMIS implementation. We explored the CMIS interface and see challenges in exposing them as services in the ESB due to the limitations in its functionality and security was also another concern.

• PrashantDhanker
    PrashantDhanker
    67 Posts

‏2014-06-20T04:23:55Z  
    • Kiru.V
    • ‏2014-06-18T22:00:10Z

Yes, you can expose the CE Java APIs in a more business friendly RESTFul implementation than what is being exposed by IBM's CMIS implementation. We explored the CMIS interface and see challenges in exposing them as services in the ESB due to the limitations in its functionality and security was also another concern.

Great...so u are also not using BPM CMIS, instead exposing CE JAVA APIs in SIL and then using REST WSs to talk to BPM similar to below: CE <------JAVA API----> SIL<-----REST WS------->BPM

here u would use the http url of REST WSs wrapped CE Java APIs from BPM services using 'Read from HTTP'/'SOAP' connectors?

Also could u put more light on Security concerns u faced wen using BPM CMIS at ESB?

• PrashantDhanker
    PrashantDhanker
    67 Posts

‏2014-06-20T04:33:14Z  

Can you simply use the integration layer for forwarding?  Create a service in your integration layer which calls the Filenet CMIS services.  From BPM call that service.  You pass all communication through the integration layer, but don't really need to build and maintain anything.

Do u mean to say that a single service at integration would do all? No...right?

I would have to anyway create various services at integration layer for Create Document, Retrieve documents attributes, Add/Modify Annotations, Search documents etc and then call these service from BPM through AIS...Is it? The integration u are reffering here s the WID?

Please corect if I got it wrong.

• Kiru.V
    Kiru.V
    3 Posts

‏2014-06-20T08:53:48Z  

Great...so u are also not using BPM CMIS, instead exposing CE JAVA APIs in SIL and then using REST WSs to talk to BPM similar to below: CE <------JAVA API----> SIL<-----REST WS------->BPM

here u would use the http url of REST WSs wrapped CE Java APIs from BPM services using 'Read from HTTP'/'SOAP' connectors?

Also could u put more light on Security concerns u faced wen using BPM CMIS at ESB?

Yes, you can wrap the CE Java API into HTTP style URLs of the RESTful resources you will be hosting in the middle-layer. You need to ensure that the RESTful resources you design follows the CRUD and atomic principles.

The security issues I mentioned had to do with the version of FileNet the customer was using at that time which was 4.5. IBM later provided support for SSO in the 5.1 version of FileNet.

• PrashantDhanker
    PrashantDhanker
    67 Posts

‏2014-06-21T03:42:46Z  
    • Kiru.V
    • ‏2014-06-20T08:53:48Z

Yes, you can wrap the CE Java API into HTTP style URLs of the RESTful resources you will be hosting in the middle-layer. You need to ensure that the RESTful resources you design follows the CRUD and atomic principles.

The security issues I mentioned had to do with the version of FileNet the customer was using at that time which was 4.5. IBM later provided support for SSO in the 5.1 version of FileNet.

Thanks Kiru :) Appreciate your help. I would post on this forum if I have any queries on this.

Thanks.