Topic
1 reply Latest Post - ‏2013-04-30T17:04:23Z by SJC
WebSphereNewbie
WebSphereNewbie
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Unable to Start Deployment Manager in Windows 2008. Experience java exception when running startManager, can anyone suggest how to fix this?

‏2013-04-30T11:22:06Z |

Hi,

I am new to using WebSphere. This is the first time I am handling WebSphere. And I could use some help with a problem I encountered. I kept running into an exception error that when I looked up in the web has similar error when running websphere in eclipse.  

I am installing WebSphere 8.5 in Windows 2008 R2. I seems to have installed correctly WebSphere 8.5 but notice its not registered in the Services.msc. Also I just noticed that somehow I think someone also setup IIS in this server. But the ports used are different.

After installing I used the first steps (installation verification)  to check if it was installed correctly and it seems to be successful since thats what the installation verification message said.

But when I tried to run login in the console admin, I notice that it was down. When I run in command line using just startManager.bat without any parameter in ..\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\dmgr01\bin\. There really was no useful log in the dmgr folder. However when I run the startManager with these parameters (startManager.bat -logfile D:\test.log -trace -profileName Dmgr01) I get the error log content shown below

Attachments

• SJC
    SJC
    148 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Unable to Start Deployment Manager in Windows 2008. Experience java exception when running startManager, can anyone suggest how to fix this?

‏2013-04-30T17:04:23Z  in response to WebSphereNewbie

After running the installation verification from first steps the dmgr will still be running.  If the server is running and you try to start the server again the second startmanager will fail. You said "I tried to run login in the console admin, I notice that it was down" but how did you launch the console (start menu; first steps; direct URL in the browser...) and what happened exactly?  What does "serverstatus -all" say about whether the server is running or not?  I

The startServer.log (and test.log) detail the logic of the startmanager tool itself.  These show that the dmgr isn't registered as a Windows service (which you confirmed) and that the server was started and 45 secs later was detected as failing initialisation.   The logs of the real server would be the SystemOut.log and SystemErr.log (all from the profiles/Dmgr01/logs directory).  If there is no SystemOut.log then that suggests that the server process was unable to start sufficiently far to initialize logging (though as you said the IVT ran ok, the server has definitely started ok once and so there would be a log to match that).

/S