• 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-03-14T21:07:50Z by brcowan
buonoj
buonoj
3 Posts

Pinned topic MVFS not installed - RHEL6

‏2014-01-30T21:13:20Z |

Hi

We keep having this trouble.  We had  clearcase working just fine but then for no reason we'll get this error

cleartool: Error: The MVFS file system is not installed or not loaded,
or the 'viewroot' is not mounted or is inaccessible: not a ClearCase object.

Our admin would then rebuild mvfs and everything would work.  But now, we get an error trying to rebuild MVFS

/var/adm/rational/clearcase/mvfs/mvfs_src/mvfs_linux_mvops.c: In function 'mvop_linux_lookupvp':
/var/adm/rational/clearcase/mvfs/mvfs_src/mvfs_linux_mvops.c:176: error: assignment from incompatible pointer type
/var/adm/rational/clearcase/mvfs/mvfs_src/mvfs_linux_mvops.c:321: error: passing argument 1 of 'putname' from incompatible pointer type
include/linux/fs.h:2170: note: expected 'struct filename *' but argument is of type 'char *'
make[2]: *** [/var/adm/rational/clearcase/mvfs/mvfs_src/mvfs_linux_mvops.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/adm/rational/clearcase/mvfs/mvfs_src] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/2.6.32-431.3.1.el6.x86_64'

Is anybody else seeing instability using CC on RHEL 6?  Does anybody have a solution on how to get MVFS to compile?  We have version 8.0.0.07 installed and have rhel 6.2

Thanks

Jeanne

• jburke
    jburke
    17 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: MVFS not installed - RHEL6

‏2014-02-03T04:33:45Z  

Hi Jeanne

I did some research and the error "In function 'mvop_linux_lookupvp" usually appears when using RHEL 6.5 which is not a supported version.  Please confirm that you are on RHEL 6.2 and not 6.5.

Thanks

Jim

• marcdb
    marcdb
    16 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-02-03T07:31:31Z  
    • jburke
    • ‏2014-02-03T04:33:45Z

Hi Jeanne

I did some research and the error "In function 'mvop_linux_lookupvp" usually appears when using RHEL 6.5 which is not a supported version.  Please confirm that you are on RHEL 6.2 and not 6.5.

Thanks

Jim

The header file  "linux/fs.h" was changed in the latest versions of the linux kernels (both in version 2.x and 3.x). Since then, it seems that the mvfs-code does not compile anymore (looking at the changes, it seems obvious that it can not compile without some changes in the mvfs-code).

In the note  http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27036569#80 you can find that for Ubuntu, you should stay with kernel 3.2 (and should not upgrade to kernel 3.5 (actually, there is a typo because the pages says "do use kernel 3.5" instead of "do not use kernel 3.5"). 

Well, the same is true for kernel 2.x => you can upgrade to RHEL 6.5, but you should downgrade your kernel to 2.6.32. At least that's what we did, and afterwards, we were able to build the MVFS and use our dynamic views again.

Anyway, I think that these new kernel versions are out already for some time now, so it's about time that they are also supported by ClearCase.

Regards,

Marc

• Pat_L
    Pat_L
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-10T17:12:03Z  

Red Hat has back-ported an interface change ("getname"/"putname" now return/expect a "struct filename *" instead of "char *") that breaks the ClearCase MVFS module build.

The patch to fix this is pretty simple... I have created a mvfs_linux_mvops.c that compiles and works for me (see attachment). It is based on ClearCase 7.1.2.12.

With no more hotfixes slated for 7.x, I guess it is time to move to 8.0 :-(

Attachments

• jburke
    jburke
    17 Posts

‏2014-02-03T04:33:45Z  

Hi Jeanne

Thanks

Jim

• marcdb
    marcdb
    16 Posts

‏2014-02-03T07:31:31Z  
    • jburke
    • ‏2014-02-03T04:33:45Z

Hi Jeanne

Thanks

Jim

The header file  "linux/fs.h" was changed in the latest versions of the linux kernels (both in version 2.x and 3.x). Since then, it seems that the mvfs-code does not compile anymore (looking at the changes, it seems obvious that it can not compile without some changes in the mvfs-code).

In the note  http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27036569#80 you can find that for Ubuntu, you should stay with kernel 3.2 (and should not upgrade to kernel 3.5 (actually, there is a typo because the pages says "do use kernel 3.5" instead of "do not use kernel 3.5"). 

Well, the same is true for kernel 2.x => you can upgrade to RHEL 6.5, but you should downgrade your kernel to 2.6.32. At least that's what we did, and afterwards, we were able to build the MVFS and use our dynamic views again.

Anyway, I think that these new kernel versions are out already for some time now, so it's about time that they are also supported by ClearCase.

Regards,

Marc

• Pat_L
    Pat_L
    2 Posts

‏2014-03-10T17:12:03Z  

Red Hat has back-ported an interface change ("getname"/"putname" now return/expect a "struct filename *" instead of "char *") that breaks the ClearCase MVFS module build.

The patch to fix this is pretty simple... I have created a mvfs_linux_mvops.c that compiles and works for me (see attachment). It is based on ClearCase 7.1.2.12.

Attachments

• buonoj
    buonoj
    3 Posts

‏2014-03-10T17:37:28Z  
    • Pat_L
    • ‏2014-03-10T17:12:03Z

Turns out we are at 6.5 and not 6.2 so we are in a quandry as to what to do. My admin thinksit went to 6.5 by applying security patches that he is required to do.  What patch did you apply that fixed your problem.  (note we have 8.0.7 installed).

• buonoj
    buonoj
    3 Posts

‏2014-03-10T17:38:16Z  
    • marcdb
    • ‏2014-02-03T07:31:31Z

Regards,

Marc

I'm asking my admin if he understands what  you are outlining here.  That would be great if this works for us.  Are you currently using 6.5?

• Pat_L
    Pat_L
    2 Posts

‏2014-03-11T05:30:57Z  
    • buonoj
    • ‏2014-03-10T17:37:28Z

Turns out we are at 6.5 and not 6.2 so we are in a quandry as to what to do. My admin thinksit went to 6.5 by applying security patches that he is required to do.  What patch did you apply that fixed your problem.  (note we have 8.0.7 installed).

Yes, Red Hat appears to have made this change as part of a security update.

I edited the MVFS source myself to fix the problem... And I attached the fixed .c file to my previous message.

I am attaching the change in patch form to this message. I do not know whether it will apply cleanly against 8.0.7.

Good luck.

Attachments

• brcowan
    brcowan
    763 Posts

‏2014-03-14T21:07:50Z  
    • buonoj
    • ‏2014-03-10T17:37:28Z

ClearCase 8.0.0.10 and 8.0.1.3 should support building and installing the MVFS on RHEL 6 Update 5.

I'm afraid that this won't help you if you need 7.1.2.x support though.