IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-05-13T19:55:37Z by JonPeck
mtvinski
mtvinski
5 Posts

Pinned topic Ineffective "Statistical Tools" link For Downloads for IBM® SPSS® Statistics

‏2013-05-06T19:57:47Z |

Hi there,

I have read through the numerous feeds for downloading PLS add-ons and the Python extension modules - however I am stumped quite early on.

When I click on the Statistical Tools link under the "Downloads for IBM SPSS Statistics" section of the ibm, developer works page, I am directed to the My Files page without any links for download.

Can anyone help me out here? Is there an alternative route for downloading the PLS extension?

Thanks in advance!

M

• JonPeck
    JonPeck
    84 Posts

Re: Ineffective "Statistical Tools" link For Downloads for IBM® SPSS® Statistics

‏2013-05-06T21:39:45Z  

If I click on the link I think you are referring to (https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/files/app?lang=en#/collection/bbe88aaf-f3cd-466a-83fb-592d48eecb1c), I see a list of 52 downloadable items, including the PLS package.

If for some reason you can't get that view, you can use the Extension Commands collection link on that same page.

You can sort the list alphabetically by clicking the small "Name" control at the top of the list.

HTH

• mtvinski
    mtvinski
    5 Posts

Re: Ineffective "Statistical Tools" link For Downloads for IBM® SPSS® Statistics

‏2013-05-07T15:15:44Z  
    • JonPeck
    • ‏2013-05-06T21:39:45Z

If I click on the link I think you are referring to (https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/files/app?lang=en#/collection/bbe88aaf-f3cd-466a-83fb-592d48eecb1c), I see a list of 52 downloadable items, including the PLS package.

If for some reason you can't get that view, you can use the Extension Commands collection link on that same page.

You can sort the list alphabetically by clicking the small "Name" control at the top of the list.

HTH

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the link - it works with the direct link you've provided here, but does not work on the main page. I think there is an error (as it is mentioned on the main page by multiple members).

As a result, I am also unable to download the Supplementry tools needed to successfully run a PLS analysis for python. I've searched the error (Error #1) in the previous feeds and you've mentioned that the error is because the proper .py files have not been downloaded. You guided the individual to the "supplementry" downloads - but again, this link from the main download page sends me to "My Files".

Would you happen to know these files, so that I can locate them on the general download page you provided in the previous post?

Thanks in advance, Jon. You have been a great help to so many people!

M

• JonPeck
    JonPeck
    84 Posts

‏2013-05-07T15:37:06Z  
    • mtvinski
    • ‏2013-05-07T15:15:44Z

Hi Jon,

Thank you for the link - it works with the direct link you've provided here, but does not work on the main page. I think there is an error (as it is mentioned on the main page by multiple members).

As a result, I am also unable to download the Supplementry tools needed to successfully run a PLS analysis for python. I've searched the error (Error #1) in the previous feeds and you've mentioned that the error is because the proper .py files have not been downloaded. You guided the individual to the "supplementry" downloads - but again, this link from the main download page sends me to "My Files".

Would you happen to know these files, so that I can locate them on the general download page you provided in the previous post?

Thanks in advance, Jon. You have been a great help to so many people!

M

Would you clarrify?  I can't see any page errors.

If you need the PLS extension command itself, it is here.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/files/app?lang=en#/file/33319ac0-6f93-4040-9094-f40e7da9e7a8

• mtvinski
    mtvinski
    5 Posts

‏2013-05-07T18:59:40Z  
    • JonPeck
    • ‏2013-05-07T15:37:06Z

Would you clarrify?  I can't see any page errors.

If you need the PLS extension command itself, it is here.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/files/app?lang=en#/file/33319ac0-6f93-4040-9094-f40e7da9e7a8

I have already downloaded that file from the previous link that you provide, but thank you for offering it again :)

I have downloaded the PLS.zip, the numPY and the sciPY files - but for some reason I am still receiving the following error:

Error # 6890. Command name: BEGIN PROGRAM

Configuration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid.

Execution of this command stops.

Configration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid because the LIB_NAME is NULL.

Based on the forum that you've extensively covered already - I see that this can be a common error. I am pretty sure the problem stems from not having downloaded he Plug-Ins - - because I am unable to access the link from the homepage.

When I click on "The Essentials and Plugins for IBM SPSS Statistics Version 20 for Python and .NET are available here. They have been updated to version 20.0.0.2 but are compatible with 20.0.0.0. NOTE: if you have the 20.0.0.0 or 20.0.0.1 version of the Essentials installed, you must uninstall it before installing this update." - I am directed to the My Files page, which is empty. Would you mind providing the link, so that I am able to download the plug in?

Hopefully this works.

Thanks again!

M

• JonPeck
    JonPeck
    84 Posts

‏2013-05-07T19:51:56Z  
    • mtvinski
    • ‏2013-05-07T18:59:40Z

I have already downloaded that file from the previous link that you provide, but thank you for offering it again :)

I have downloaded the PLS.zip, the numPY and the sciPY files - but for some reason I am still receiving the following error:

Error # 6890. Command name: BEGIN PROGRAM

Configuration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid.

Execution of this command stops.

Based on the forum that you've extensively covered already - I see that this can be a common error. I am pretty sure the problem stems from not having downloaded he Plug-Ins - - because I am unable to access the link from the homepage.

When I click on "The Essentials and Plugins for IBM SPSS Statistics Version 20 for Python and .NET are available here. They have been updated to version 20.0.0.2 but are compatible with 20.0.0.0. NOTE: if you have the 20.0.0.0 or 20.0.0.1 version of the Essentials installed, you must uninstall it before installing this update." - I am directed to the My Files page, which is empty. Would you mind providing the link, so that I am able to download the plug in?

Hopefully this works.

Thanks again!

M

the developerWorks team has reported that this is a variation on a problem they have found with different browsers.  It appears that firefox works, but IE is mangling the url.  You can go directly to this link to get the V20 plugin/Essentials, but you might have to switch browsers.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/files/app?lang=en#/collection/0c39f1d0-c6ba-44f8-bffc-c8f0bb97e1f6

• mtvinski
    mtvinski
    5 Posts

‏2013-05-08T14:56:06Z  
    • JonPeck
    • ‏2013-05-07T19:51:56Z

the developerWorks team has reported that this is a variation on a problem they have found with different browsers.  It appears that firefox works, but IE is mangling the url.  You can go directly to this link to get the V20 plugin/Essentials, but you might have to switch browsers.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/files/app?lang=en#/collection/0c39f1d0-c6ba-44f8-bffc-c8f0bb97e1f6

Good morning Jon, 

Yes, I received the same feedback from IBM directly. I uninstalled all of the programs (except SPSS) and re-installed everything using google chrome.

However, I am still seeing the following error when I try to run a PLS:

>Error # 6890.  Command name: BEGIN PROGRAM 
    >Configuration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid. 
    >Execution of this command stops. 

I have download the essentials, downloaded the PLS.zip, the spiPY and the numPY folders. I have places all three of those files into the extensions folder of SPSS, as well as in the Python folder. Am I missing something? Should the python folder be directly linked to the SPSS folders?

One thing that I noticed was that when i tried the "import spss, PLS" command into the Python command line (as you've suggested on other feeds) - i received the error  

File "C:\Program Files\IBM\SPSS\Statistics\20\extensions\PLS.py.", line 53, in <module> from www.scipy.org and try again. Be sure to get the version matching your python version."

Is there a simple step by step for how to get PLS to work using SPSS - including where the downloaded files go...what should go where... I have seen your document on putting spiPY and numPY in the extension folder - but I dont think this is enough guidance. This is an incredibly arduous experience!

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

M

• JonPeck
    JonPeck
    84 Posts

‏2013-05-09T23:07:57Z  
    • mtvinski
    • ‏2013-05-08T14:56:06Z

Good morning Jon, 

Yes, I received the same feedback from IBM directly. I uninstalled all of the programs (except SPSS) and re-installed everything using google chrome.

However, I am still seeing the following error when I try to run a PLS:

>Error # 6890.  Command name: BEGIN PROGRAM 
    >Configuration file spssdxcfg.ini is invalid. 

I have download the essentials, downloaded the PLS.zip, the spiPY and the numPY folders. I have places all three of those files into the extensions folder of SPSS, as well as in the Python folder. Am I missing something? Should the python folder be directly linked to the SPSS folders?

One thing that I noticed was that when i tried the "import spss, PLS" command into the Python command line (as you've suggested on other feeds) - i received the error  

File "C:\Program Files\IBM\SPSS\Statistics\20\extensions\PLS.py.", line 53, in <module> from www.scipy.org and try again. Be sure to get the version matching your python version."

Is there a simple step by step for how to get PLS to work using SPSS - including where the downloaded files go...what should go where... I have seen your document on putting spiPY and numPY in the extension folder - but I dont think this is enough guidance. This is an incredibly arduous experience!

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

M

You can't just download these files.  You need to run the installer for the Python Essentials.  It will take care of putting the infrastructure pieces in the right place.

The next step is to download the PLS.zip file and follow the installation instructions in it.

Finally, you need to get the numpy and scipy installables and run their install.

It is true that this is more complicated than would be ideal, but once you have the Python Essentials working, you will have a lot of other commands that use the Essentials available.

Thousands of people have gotten PLS working, so you can do it too with a little care.

• mtvinski
    mtvinski
    5 Posts

‏2013-05-13T19:24:55Z  
    • JonPeck
    • ‏2013-05-09T23:07:57Z

You can't just download these files.  You need to run the installer for the Python Essentials.  It will take care of putting the infrastructure pieces in the right place.

The next step is to download the PLS.zip file and follow the installation instructions in it.

Finally, you need to get the numpy and scipy installables and run their install.

It is true that this is more complicated than would be ideal, but once you have the Python Essentials working, you will have a lot of other commands that use the Essentials available.

Thousands of people have gotten PLS working, so you can do it too with a little care.

Hi Jon, 

I have taken great care to get this installation process to work. These files were not just downloaded, they were installed as well (with the exception of numpy - there was no installation procedure with this file. If I am wrong in this, then please direct me toward the installation link within the numpy folder that is available for download)

Alas, I went through and deleted all files and stated again, using your instructions above. 

There must be an error in where the folders are being placed. the PLS.zip, numPY and spiPY have been placed in the extensions folder of the SPSS folder. Yet when I run a PLS analysis, the output still has the following error:

>Error # 5712 in column 8.  Text: spss
    >A valid IMPORT subcommand name is expected but not found.  Recognized
    >subcommands are FILE, TYPE, KEEP, DROP, RENAME, and MAP.
    PLS q2a MLEVEL=S WITH q1g q1h q1i q1j q1k
      /CRITERIA LATENTFACTORS=5.
    Extension command  PLS  could not be loaded. The module or a module that it requires may be missing, or there may be syntax errors in it.

Do you have any thoughts as to why this analysis is still not working? Does the essentials folder have to be within the extensions folder as well? Does the Python folder have to be within the extensions folder? 

Thanks again for your time. I appreciate all of your help.

M

• JonPeck
    JonPeck
    84 Posts

‏2013-05-13T19:55:37Z  
    • mtvinski
    • ‏2013-05-13T19:24:55Z

Hi Jon, 

I have taken great care to get this installation process to work. These files were not just downloaded, they were installed as well (with the exception of numpy - there was no installation procedure with this file. If I am wrong in this, then please direct me toward the installation link within the numpy folder that is available for download)

Alas, I went through and deleted all files and stated again, using your instructions above. 

There must be an error in where the folders are being placed. the PLS.zip, numPY and spiPY have been placed in the extensions folder of the SPSS folder. Yet when I run a PLS analysis, the output still has the following error:

>Error # 5712 in column 8.  Text: spss
    PLS q2a MLEVEL=S WITH q1g q1h q1i q1j q1k
      /CRITERIA LATENTFACTORS=5.
    Extension command  PLS  could not be loaded. The module or a module that it requires may be missing, or there may be syntax errors in it.

Do you have any thoughts as to why this analysis is still not working? Does the essentials folder have to be within the extensions folder as well? Does the Python folder have to be within the extensions folder? 

Thanks again for your time. I appreciate all of your help.

M

There is a superpack that includes both numpy and scipy, at least for certain versions, for example

numpy-1.6.1-win32-superpack-python2.7.exe

scipy-0.9.0-win32-superpack-python2.7.exe

This must be executed in order to install these.  You can check the installation by running this in a syntax window

begin program.
    import numpy
    import scipy
    end program.

This message, however,

Error # 5712 in column 8.  Text: spss

indicates that SPSS has not even shifted into Python mode.  It is a complaint about the SPSS IMPORT command, which should not appear.

The second error,

Extension command  PLS  could not be loaded.

is likely to be a problem with numpy and/or scipy.

You may get additional diagnostic information by running this program.

begin program.
    import PLS
    print PLS
    end program.