Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-07-16T18:31:53Z by llandale
Chris Palmer
Chris Palmer
6 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Client Version Log

‏2013-07-10T07:57:01Z |

I want to monitor the client version of users logging in to DOORS during an upgrade, anyone know an easy way of logging this?

• Mike.Scharnow
    Mike.Scharnow
    115 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Client Version Log

‏2013-07-10T20:23:13Z  in response to Chris Palmer

at http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21399206, IBM says:
    "You may also check login_history file to check log in history under $DOORSHOME$\data\v6data\logs (example: C:\Program Files\IBM\Rational\DOORS\9.x\data\v6data\logs)"

Perhaps you will want to share the logs directory (network share), so that a client may get the desired information?

HTH
    Mike

• llandale
    llandale
    2939 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-13T16:03:41Z  in response to Chris Palmer

Mike's reference shows which client's have logged in when; it doesn't show the DOORS version of those clients.

Best I came up with years ago was a post-module-open trigger that does this:

• Puts today's date and the user name together into a file name
    • If this file name exists then exit and do nothing (client information already logged for this user today)
    • Open a config file, and store information about the client
      • Client version
      • User
      • Addins
      • Client PC OS
      • Module opened, which suggests which Project this user is primarily assigned
      • couple other things
    • have a proghram to query these files

There is no such "database login trigger"; so I simulate one with a open-first-module trigger.  I'm thinking for your limited use, you could have a post-module-open trigger:

• Gets the client PC name and client DOORS version
    • Opens a config file with same name as the client PC name
    • insert the DOORS version therein.
    • save the config file.
    • Config file names could look like "ClientVersion/<PCName>" which will put them into a confif-file subdirectory.
    • config area should be "system".

Such a simple trigger is unlikely to take more than a small fraction of a second so folks won't notice.  Perhaps have the trigger halt unless the module is opened visibly; which will (slightly) speed things up for DXL scripts doing chores.

-Louie

• Chris Palmer
      Chris Palmer
      6 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-15T08:20:09Z  in response to llandale

We have a trigger set which operates when a module opens, I have been using this to monitor users but it produces a lot of log information. Will probably stick with this.

• llandale
        llandale
        2939 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-16T18:31:53Z  in response to Chris Palmer

that's why I used a file name with the user and date in it; if the file already exists no further logging is done.  In your case perhaps you can set a flag in the "top" context to make sure you log only once per DOORS session.  Maybe someone can show us how to do that.