Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-12-30T09:08:29Z by 66UQ_Santh_GK
KellyA
KellyA
25 Posts

Pinned topic Recording / editing SOA tests: extremely slow with larger response sizes

‏2013-12-20T20:58:42Z |

I've been working with RPT 8.3.0.3 and now 8.5.0.2 primarily with web service tests.  I've been experiencing extremely poor performance when recording / editing service tests with larger (i.e.: > 100 KB) responses. 

For example, a 500 KB response is causing the recording UI to become completely unresponsive for over 20 minutes from the time the response is received (i.e.: the service request has been processed and the response "packet" received by RPT to parse).  During this time the RPT Java process rapidly consumes more RAM, reaching over 1 GB allocated for a response of this size, and consumes 100% of a core on a 4 core processor.  Larger responses consume more RAM and take longer to process: upwards of an hour and 4+ GB of RAM for 15 MB responses.

I am running RPT 8.5.0.2, configured with a maximum Java heap of 8192 MB (-Xmx8192m) on a machine with 16 GB of RAM.  No swapping/virtual memory is being used during processing.  The OS is RedHat Linux 6.4 with current patches.   If I'm very patient, the test (request and response) is successfully recorded / edited.  But as you can imagine, this makes test development rather frustrating.

Note that this is not related to executing the test: my query only pertains to recording and editing.  Is this "normal" behaviour for RPT 8.5 and later while recording web service tests?   Are there any alternatives or fixes known?

• Rajeshavanthi
    Rajeshavanthi
    112 Posts

Re: Recording / editing SOA tests: extremely slow with larger response sizes

‏2013-12-29T11:08:27Z  

Hi Kelly

I recently noticed similar behavior being reported any an external client where in RPT was getting into unresponsive state intermittently. For example in the case where response size is greater and user right clicks on editing / creating a reference, RPT gets into unresponsiveness state. There is an internal defect (# PI07026) reported on similar lines to make the test editor more effective.

Thanks

Rajesh Avanthi

• 66UQ_Santh_GK
    66UQ_Santh_GK
    3 Posts

Re: Recording / editing SOA tests: extremely slow with larger response sizes

‏2013-12-30T09:08:29Z  

In addition to what Rajesh mentioned,  you could close the raw transaction data tab and check if that helps to some extent