Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-09-26T19:05:35Z by twoj
JohnJTX
JohnJTX
4 Posts

Pinned topic X3690X5 IMM send email alerts

‏2013-09-06T17:01:42Z |

I have IBM x3690X5 I want to configure IMM to send E-mail alerts to work.

The machine is running Windows 2012 Data Center version, so no system director is available.  I want to know if I can configure IMM to send email alerts without system director.

I have set the Contact and Location information (which I believe is used partly to form the E-mail address...) and use IP for SMTP. (IP for smtp.gmail.com).  I also tried to use DNS for smtp.gmail.com, but not working either.  I used "Generate Test Alert" and subscribe all alerts for my gmail account, but I have never received any email alert.

The following is the firmware version information.

IMM Firmware Version YUOOF2A-1.36

UEFI Firmware Version MLE177AUS-1.77

DSA Firmware Version DSYTA1N-9.21

FPGA Firmware Version MLUD33C-1.23

I have searched internet, but can't find any good answer for this question.

Any help is greatly appreciated!        

John

• DaveQ
    DaveQ
    132 Posts

Re: X3690X5 IMM send email alerts

‏2013-09-06T21:06:39Z  

Hi,

The user's guide for the IMM is located here:

http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5079770

If you are trying to specify the Gmail SMTP server directly in the IMM, I believe you also need to enter your credentials (SMTP Authentication: Enabled), then enter your Gmail account username and password; Gmail doesn't permit anonymous SMTP relaying. I suggest you try to specify your internal SMTP relay instead.

You will then need to configure alerts under the Alerts section. Refer to the manual in the link above for specifics.

Hope this helps,

Dave

• JohnJTX
    JohnJTX
    4 Posts

‏2013-09-07T07:48:03Z  
    • DaveQ
    • ‏2013-09-06T21:06:39Z

Hi,

The user's guide for the IMM is located here:

http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5079770

If you are trying to specify the Gmail SMTP server directly in the IMM, I believe you also need to enter your credentials (SMTP Authentication: Enabled), then enter your Gmail account username and password; Gmail doesn't permit anonymous SMTP relaying. I suggest you try to specify your internal SMTP relay instead.

You will then need to configure alerts under the Alerts section. Refer to the manual in the link above for specifics.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Hello,

Yes, I did provide my gmail username and password, and use port 587 plus IP for smtp.gmail.com

However, I don't know how to specify internal SMTP relay.  I also configure alerts in Alerts section to send all kinds of alerts to my gmail account.

Can you give me some instructions or some web link on how to specify internal SMTP relay?

Thanks,

John

Updated on 2013-09-07T07:48:47Z at 2013-09-07T07:48:47Z by JohnJTX
  • DaveQ
    DaveQ
    132 Posts

‏2013-09-07T21:10:43Z  
    • JohnJTX
    • ‏2013-09-07T07:48:03Z

Hello,

Yes, I did provide my gmail username and password, and use port 587 plus IP for smtp.gmail.com

However, I don't know how to specify internal SMTP relay.  I also configure alerts in Alerts section to send all kinds of alerts to my gmail account.

Can you give me some instructions or some web link on how to specify internal SMTP relay?

Thanks,

John

John,

I think there are two issues here:

1. How to configure the alerts.

2. What to set the SMTP relay to.

Somewhat related : the default SMTP port is 25.

How to configure the alerts is contained in the link in the earlier response, contained in the IMM user's guide.

What to set the SMTP relay to can only be determined by you and your IT support organization. No one can tell you what to set your SMTP relay to except for you. The internal SMTP relay will be determined by your IT and/or e-mail support staff. If you are inside a corporate network, chances are you may be restricted to using a specific relay and not one of your own desire (such as the Gmail one). Again, all assumptions, but only you can determine which relay to use and if it's permitted.

Good luck,

Dave

• JohnJTX
    JohnJTX
    4 Posts

‏2013-09-08T11:20:41Z  
    • DaveQ
    • ‏2013-09-07T21:10:43Z

John,

I think there are two issues here:

1. How to configure the alerts.

2. What to set the SMTP relay to.

Somewhat related : the default SMTP port is 25.

How to configure the alerts is contained in the link in the earlier response, contained in the IMM user's guide.

What to set the SMTP relay to can only be determined by you and your IT support organization. No one can tell you what to set your SMTP relay to except for you. The internal SMTP relay will be determined by your IT and/or e-mail support staff. If you are inside a corporate network, chances are you may be restricted to using a specific relay and not one of your own desire (such as the Gmail one). Again, all assumptions, but only you can determine which relay to use and if it's permitted.

Good luck,

Dave

Hi, Dave:

Thanks for your answer.  I have read IMM user's guide and hope I know how to configure alerts.

I have tried using both port 587 and 25 for smpt.gmail.com; but not working.

Unfortunately, since this machine is for my personal use, there is no other people can help.  I am doing programming job, it is the first time I have to deal with IMM, so I don't have much experience.

If you can give me some hint on how to configure SMTP relay, then I can try this also.

Thanks,

John

• twoj
    twoj
    3 Posts

‏2013-09-26T19:05:35Z  
    • JohnJTX
    • ‏2013-09-08T11:20:41Z

Hi, Dave:

Thanks for your answer.  I have read IMM user's guide and hope I know how to configure alerts.

I have tried using both port 587 and 25 for smpt.gmail.com; but not working.

Unfortunately, since this machine is for my personal use, there is no other people can help.  I am doing programming job, it is the first time I have to deal with IMM, so I don't have much experience.

If you can give me some hint on how to configure SMTP relay, then I can try this also.

Thanks,

John

Hi John

Port 25 will not work for gmail, they only use port 587 and it requires your google userid/password. Also i believe the connection requires a TLS (Transport Layer Secuity) which is possibly why the connection isn't happening - I suspect the IMM isn't able to do TLS connections.

Alternative is that you use your ISP's smtp server - pretty much all ISPs have their own mail relays, this is how things are typically set if you don't have your own internal mail server.

another alternative is to set up an internal mail server, but this is a bit of overkill for just sending IMM messages. I would check with your isp and see what their smtp is, usually something like smtp.isp.com, however some also use SSL connections on another port.

hope that helps