• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-08-16T14:59:36Z by GaryKunkel
MJaskilka
MJaskilka
31 Posts

Pinned topic Removing History records

‏2013-07-08T15:02:18Z |

Hello,

We have a metrics group who tracks how many defects get sent back for rework.  But, there's often records sent back that shouldn't have been, so it messes up their stats and makes it look worse than it really is. 

They're asking we delete certain history records to make their query results look better.  Is there a safe way to do this?  There's no record form for history records and some thing tells me this may get a bit messy, and possibly change the state of a defect record when we don't want that either.  The other suggestion was to change the dbid of those history records so that they would no longer be associated with that defect, but this sounds rather messy too.  Would this even be supported by IBM? 

Any better solutions?

thanks!!

Mark

• DonaldN
    DonaldN
    287 Posts

Re: Removing History records

‏2013-07-09T00:38:31Z  

Hi Mark,

Removing history records always sounds dodgy to me. If you can adjust the raw data to fit the report, why not adjust the report to have real reflection of the raw data? How does the metrics group identify which records should not be included in the stats? Can this logic be implemented in the computing of the stats?

BTW, unless instructed by IBM Rational Support, deleting records (of whatever type) directly from the database is never officially supported by IBM.

• GaryKunkel
    GaryKunkel
    11 Posts

‏2013-08-16T14:51:42Z  
    • DonaldN
    • ‏2013-07-09T00:38:31Z

Hi Mark,

Removing history records always sounds dodgy to me. If you can adjust the raw data to fit the report, why not adjust the report to have real reflection of the raw data? How does the metrics group identify which records should not be included in the stats? Can this logic be implemented in the computing of the stats?

BTW, unless instructed by IBM Rational Support, deleting records (of whatever type) directly from the database is never officially supported by IBM.

I'm not sure about this but could deleting internal records negatively impact one's service agreement with IBM - even beyond those records?

• GaryKunkel
    GaryKunkel
    11 Posts

‏2013-08-16T14:59:36Z  

I don't like the idea of deleting history records at all. You are in effect changing the history of user activity on those records even if the activity was done in error.  Even if all interested parties are ok with the approach this time, it's a dangerous precedent to set.

There are other ways of dealing with this issue:

Have the user cancel the offending record, create a new one, and move it through the appropriate steps in its life cycle. This will work well if users are given the opportunity to fill in dates for key activities rather than relying on CQ to fill in current time.

Alternatively, the Notes field could be used to indicate issues with problem records.