• 12 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-02-10T00:03:29Z by DonaldN
Arunodaya
Arunodaya
61 Posts

Pinned topic CQ upgrade 7.1.1 to 8.0.0.08 cause performance degrade

‏2014-02-05T09:04:35Z |

Hi,

We have upgrade CQ 7.1.1 to 8.0.0.08 and found there is performance issue, mainly CQ web is very very slow when compate to earlier version.

Can i know if some thing i missed out please?

CQ 8.0.0.08 is running with WAS and IBM HTTP server 7 (fix pack 7.0.0.29).

CQ web is accessible via rule defined in ISA proxy, not sure if ISA 2006 support the latest CQ version.

Thanks

Arun.

• DonaldN
    DonaldN
    287 Posts

Re: CQ upgrade 7.1.1 to 8.0.0.08 cause performance degrade

‏2014-02-05T23:31:09Z  

Is it the same hardware on which CQWeb 7.1.1 ran and CQWeb 8.0.0.8 is running? The unfortunate trend is that the footprint of almost all applications gets larger and larger when the version number increases, and it is possible that the old hardware is struggling to cope with the new application. So you need to keep this in mind and make sure the hardware meets the requirement.

Another point to note is that an upgrade is not as simple as a drop-in replacement, since the upgrade/installation requires many configuration steps. In this case, you need to look at the case as a new configuration when dealing with performance issue. In other words, everything can go wrong.

Performance tuning is a very complicated matter and does not fit in an online forum. If you need some professional assistance, I would suggest you contact IBM Rational Support.

• CQAdmin
    CQAdmin
    103 Posts

‏2014-02-06T03:35:28Z  

As mentioned by DonaldN, please let us know RAM, OS and CPU being used at the ClearQuest web server.

Apart from this :

-Do you have any other Rational Products installed on the same server?

-ClearQuest integration with ClearCase or ReqPro?

-Do you have your Database on the same server?

-Hows the web performance of a "Test" database which is associated with the latest version of your schema? Please observe this too.

• Arunodaya
    Arunodaya
    61 Posts

‏2014-02-06T03:58:07Z  
    • CQAdmin
    • ‏2014-02-06T03:35:28Z

As mentioned by DonaldN, please let us know RAM, OS and CPU being used at the ClearQuest web server.

Apart from this :

-Do you have any other Rational Products installed on the same server?

-ClearQuest integration with ClearCase or ReqPro?

-Do you have your Database on the same server?

-Hows the web performance of a "Test" database which is associated with the latest version of your schema? Please observe this too.

Hi, The details are here.

CQ 7.1.1 was in OS 2003 so before upgrade i format the server to OS 2008 and install fresh CQ 8.0 then update to 8.0.0.8, so there should not be any link or preserve of 7x instance.

64 GB RAM, OS 2008 and Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5540 @ 2.53GHz 2.53 GHz (2 processors).

Only CQ is installed on this server and CQ is integrated with RTC 4.0.0.1 by using CQ-RTC Synchronizer.

Database Oracle 10g is in different linux box.

I tried with my developement server with limited test data and i can see the same slow response of each action from CQ web.

The only difference i can highlight is when access CQ web local link it works better but when same link access via ISA proxy it is very bad.

I have PMR logged as well but we are yet to find out the root casue to action further, so thought may be CQ experts may have some idea on this.

Thanks

Arun.

• CQAdmin
    CQAdmin
    103 Posts

‏2014-02-06T04:40:10Z  
    • Arunodaya
    • ‏2014-02-06T03:58:07Z

Hi, The details are here.

CQ 7.1.1 was in OS 2003 so before upgrade i format the server to OS 2008 and install fresh CQ 8.0 then update to 8.0.0.8, so there should not be any link or preserve of 7x instance.

64 GB RAM, OS 2008 and Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5540 @ 2.53GHz 2.53 GHz (2 processors).

Only CQ is installed on this server and CQ is integrated with RTC 4.0.0.1 by using CQ-RTC Synchronizer.

Database Oracle 10g is in different linux box.

I tried with my developement server with limited test data and i can see the same slow response of each action from CQ web.

The only difference i can highlight is when access CQ web local link it works better but when same link access via ISA proxy it is very bad.

I have PMR logged as well but we are yet to find out the root casue to action further, so thought may be CQ experts may have some idea on this.

Thanks

Arun.

If CQ web link works fine and it is slow only when accessed through ISA server, I think something has to be checked or investigated at ISA server itself.

What about other web pages (may be some internal) which you access via ISA server and access them directly? Do you see a difference there also?

• Arunodaya
    Arunodaya
    61 Posts

‏2014-02-06T04:54:47Z  
    • CQAdmin
    • ‏2014-02-06T04:40:10Z

If CQ web link works fine and it is slow only when accessed through ISA server, I think something has to be checked or investigated at ISA server itself.

What about other web pages (may be some internal) which you access via ISA server and access them directly? Do you see a difference there also?

We have many other web pages access via ISA and which works fine. Problem is only CQ access and this was noticed only after upgrade.

ISA server end there is no changes so may be the slowness to access CQ java app from ISA.

CQ latest version have many changes and one major change is Java version so may be problem is here...becasue ISA redirection link end with &version=cqwj

technote - Java applications that use CMAPI must run using Java 6 Java Runtime Environment (JRE). ClearQuest performance is improved due to this upgrade in Java.

• DonaldN
    DonaldN
    287 Posts

‏2014-02-06T06:12:32Z  
    • Arunodaya
    • ‏2014-02-06T04:54:47Z

We have many other web pages access via ISA and which works fine. Problem is only CQ access and this was noticed only after upgrade.

ISA server end there is no changes so may be the slowness to access CQ java app from ISA.

CQ latest version have many changes and one major change is Java version so may be problem is here...becasue ISA redirection link end with &version=cqwj

technote - Java applications that use CMAPI must run using Java 6 Java Runtime Environment (JRE). ClearQuest performance is improved due to this upgrade in Java.

Any reason you append "&version=cqwj" to the end of the URL? I only remember seeing this with CQWeb 2003 and 7.0.

Wtih CQWeb 8.0, you need to install WAS server by yourself. Which version did you install? Did you manually change the JVM heap size for the WAS profile after the installation? All current WAS servers include Java 6 or newer.

• Arunodaya
    Arunodaya
    61 Posts

‏2014-02-06T06:23:28Z  
    • DonaldN
    • ‏2014-02-06T06:12:32Z

Any reason you append "&version=cqwj" to the end of the URL? I only remember seeing this with CQWeb 2003 and 7.0.

Wtih CQWeb 8.0, you need to install WAS server by yourself. Which version did you install? Did you manually change the JVM heap size for the WAS profile after the installation? All current WAS servers include Java 6 or newer.

There is no change in the url so this is exit from 7.0, any changes require here?

Yes, WAS 7 (fix pack 7.0.0.29) and IBM HTTP server 7 (fix pack 7.0.0.29) installed before CQ install as this is must.

Yes, changed the JVM heap size as well even though it is not require from CQ 8.0.0.6.

• DonaldN
    DonaldN
    287 Posts

‏2014-02-06T23:40:44Z  
    • Arunodaya
    • ‏2014-02-06T06:23:28Z

There is no change in the url so this is exit from 7.0, any changes require here?

Yes, WAS 7 (fix pack 7.0.0.29) and IBM HTTP server 7 (fix pack 7.0.0.29) installed before CQ install as this is must.

Yes, changed the JVM heap size as well even though it is not require from CQ 8.0.0.6.

We can consider your CQWeb 8.0.0.8 as a completely new installation, and as such, all evidences point to the ISA as the culprit in this slowness issue. CQWeb 8.0.0.8 is significantly different to CQWeb 7.0, with different URL structure and HTTP headers. Why not just abandon the old ISA link and create one from scratch? I see no benefit in keeping this old and possibly incompatible link.

• Arunodaya
    Arunodaya
    61 Posts

‏2014-02-07T05:03:54Z  
    • DonaldN
    • ‏2014-02-06T23:40:44Z

We can consider your CQWeb 8.0.0.8 as a completely new installation, and as such, all evidences point to the ISA as the culprit in this slowness issue. CQWeb 8.0.0.8 is significantly different to CQWeb 7.0, with different URL structure and HTTP headers. Why not just abandon the old ISA link and create one from scratch? I see no benefit in keeping this old and possibly incompatible link.

This is a valid point to test as the OLD link always addding &version=cqwj at the end of link, do you have any tech note to build URL structure of CQ 8x, please share.

• CQAdmin
    CQAdmin
    103 Posts

‏2014-02-07T09:52:27Z  
    • Arunodaya
    • ‏2014-02-07T05:03:54Z

This is a valid point to test as the OLD link always addding &version=cqwj at the end of link, do you have any tech note to build URL structure of CQ 8x, please share.

What do you mean by "to build URL structure of CQ 8x"?

ClearQuest 8x can be accessed using this URL -

http://<ServerNameorIP>:12080/cqweb

If port 80 is also enabled then-

http://<ServerNameorIP>/cqweb

• Arunodaya
    Arunodaya
    61 Posts

‏2014-02-08T10:39:15Z  
    • CQAdmin
    • ‏2014-02-07T09:52:27Z

What do you mean by "to build URL structure of CQ 8x"?

ClearQuest 8x can be accessed using this URL -

http://<ServerNameorIP>:12080/cqweb

If port 80 is also enabled then-

http://<ServerNameorIP>/cqweb

My question was if you have any technote for 8.0  similiar to http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21136402 as Donald say's there is a difference of CQ 7x and 8x. Our url is based on this tech note only and which is always redirecting the link end with & version=cqwj and this works fine in CQ7x.

• DonaldN
    DonaldN
    287 Posts

‏2014-02-10T00:03:29Z  
    • Arunodaya
    • ‏2014-02-08T10:39:15Z

My question was if you have any technote for 8.0  similiar to http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21136402 as Donald say's there is a difference of CQ 7x and 8x. Our url is based on this tech note only and which is always redirecting the link end with & version=cqwj and this works fine in CQ7x.

If you really need to see a technote to be convinced, here you are. :-)

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21373106

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/cqhelp/v7r1m0/topic/com.ibm.rational.clearquest.user_web.doc/topics/c_shortcut_create_lo_tasks.htm

If you search the keyword "cqwj", you will see that the newest version related to it is 7.0.1.x. The reason is that beginning with 7.1.0, the CQWeb architect got an overhaul and CM Server was introduced. That is the difference that I mentioned earlier. In fact, "cqwj" is a short name for the CQWeb architect used through 2003 to 7.0.1.x.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/cqhelp/v7r1m0/topic/com.ibm.rational.clearquest.webadmin.doc/topics/cm_server/cmserver_intro.htm

Reading through all these documents, I see no reason to hang on to "version=cqwj". As mentioned earlier, the pattern "/cqweb/*" in the URL is sufficient for the proxy to redirect the traffic to the CQWeb server.

If the problem still persists after the change, you may need to look into HTTP headers since some proxies will add or remove some of the HTTP headers for whatever reasons.