Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-09-18T15:20:55Z by jyeh
MBraccini
MBraccini
5 Posts

Pinned topic Error when comparing 2 physical models (v8.5)

‏2013-09-17T16:48:46Z |

I am trying to compare 2 physical data models in IDA v8.5 and get the following error message:

Models with different root objects are not supported.
Only versions of the same model can be compared.

If you are comparing files under SCM control, the models must have a common ancestor.
If you are comparing files outside of an SCM system, each model being compared must have been created by modifying a copy of the same original file.
Creating a new model file and copying information in from the original model is not a methodology supported by the comparison technology.

I get the error whether the models are in the same project or not.  Can someone help me to resolve this ?

Thank you in advance!

Marianne

Updated on 2013-09-17T16:49:34Z at 2013-09-17T16:49:34Z by MBraccini
  • jyeh
    jyeh
    35 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Error when comparing 2 physical models (v8.5)

‏2013-09-17T18:56:02Z  

Hello Marianne,

What you need to do is to open the physical data models and select the root objects (databases). Then from the context menu you may select the Compare With > Each Other menu to compare the database objects. This will give you a comparison wizard and you can go from there. This compare editor is called Data Object Compare editor. If you want, you can select a schema under the database and compare with another schema in the same or different database.

If two model files are selected and compared with each other, the root objects must be the same object, i.e., with the same object ID. This is the case when the user makes a copy of a model and starts making changes on the copy. Comparing in this way will bring up the Data Model Compare editor which can show you what changes you have made. This is the compare editor that will come up when you compare a model file with a version in the local history or in the repository.

Joseph

• jyeh
    jyeh
    35 Posts

‏2013-09-17T18:56:02Z  

Hello Marianne,

What you need to do is to open the physical data models and select the root objects (databases). Then from the context menu you may select the Compare With > Each Other menu to compare the database objects. This will give you a comparison wizard and you can go from there. This compare editor is called Data Object Compare editor. If you want, you can select a schema under the database and compare with another schema in the same or different database.

If two model files are selected and compared with each other, the root objects must be the same object, i.e., with the same object ID. This is the case when the user makes a copy of a model and starts making changes on the copy. Comparing in this way will bring up the Data Model Compare editor which can show you what changes you have made. This is the compare editor that will come up when you compare a model file with a version in the local history or in the repository.

Joseph

• MBraccini
    MBraccini
    5 Posts

‏2013-09-18T15:13:32Z  
    • jyeh
    • ‏2013-09-17T18:56:02Z

Hello Marianne,

Joseph

One model was created by transforming a logical model to a physical model and the other was an existing physical model of what is in production today.   The transformed model does not have all the schemas that that the original does, so although I was able to get the compare at the root level, there were no tables in the compare window, so I still cannot compare at that level

• jyeh
    jyeh
    35 Posts

‏2013-09-18T15:20:55Z  
    • MBraccini
    • ‏2013-09-18T15:13:32Z

One model was created by transforming a logical model to a physical model and the other was an existing physical model of what is in production today.   The transformed model does not have all the schemas that that the original does, so although I was able to get the compare at the root level, there were no tables in the compare window, so I still cannot compare at that level

Can you attach a screenshot of the compare window that you see?