Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-06-14T14:11:39Z by StanHarris
StanHarris
StanHarris
8 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Open encyclopedia stuck at Reading SAPROPS

‏2013-05-07T14:49:27Z |

I have an encyclopedia the will not open.  SA will open other encyclopedias.  This encyclopedia gets to the messgae "Reading SAPROPS.CFG" and gets no further.  Has anyone else experienced similar behaviour and what was done to correct this?

Thanks

Stan

• TJKing
    TJKing
    15 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Open encyclopedia stuck at Reading SAPROPS

‏2013-05-08T20:19:15Z  in response to StanHarris

Hi, Stan - I haven't experienced anything exactly like that, but - if all else fails you can try the following. Back up the encyclopedia (you know, just in case), and then use SAEM to open the File Manager and delete the SAPROPS.CFG file.  System Architect will recreate the file when you try to reopen the encyclopedia, and so any corruptions which are causing the hang up should be fixed.  I can't promise this will work, but if you don't get any other suggestions it may be worth a try.  And if something goes awry, you can always restore the backup and not be any worse off than you are now.

Good luck!
    TJ

• StanHarris
    StanHarris
    8 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-09T11:26:57Z  in response to StanHarris

Thanks TJ,  I have done this as well as all the other props files and it will successfully rebuild the saprops but still gets stuck in the same place when trying to open the encyclopedia.  I also tried to do a merge from that encyclopedia into another to see that would work.  The merge did not work either.  I will just perform a restore using SQL Server backup file as that appears to be my only choice left.

• jvogel-11
      jvogel-11
      51 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-30T17:48:55Z  in response to StanHarris

Is it possible that one of the other .CFG files are missing?  Depending on the configuration, it may be looking for .cfg files associated to the SAPROPS, which are not there.  For example, look at the include statements within in the SAPROPS file:

#include "Property Set\uml.cfg"
      #include "Property Set\idef1x.cfg"
      #include "Property Set\dodaf_abm.cfg"
      #include "Property Set\dodaf.cfg"
      #include "Property Set\modaf.cfg"
      #include "Property Set\naf.cfg"
      #include "Property Set\idef0.cfg"

If your encyclopedia is geared for MODAF and the modaf.cfg file is listed/referenced in the SAPROPS.CFG file but isnt present in the File Manager listing, I can imagine an interpretation problem.  You will need to replace those files as well.

• StanHarris
    StanHarris
    8 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-03T11:18:55Z  in response to StanHarris

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried it and still could not get the encyclopedia opened.  We were able to restore from a backup so this is not a work stopping issue but I am still curious how this encyclopedia got corrupted.

• TJKing
      TJKing
      15 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-03T15:03:21Z  in response to StanHarris

If you ever figure out what happened, let us know!

Cheers,
      TJ

• PiersH
    PiersH
    8 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-13T13:48:20Z  in response to StanHarris

I know you have it working now, but have you tried deleting the SAPROPS.BIN file, I think it is actually called SAPROP409.BIN. That has always resolved this issue for me in the past.

Of course it may take you on to discover a fatal error in the USRPROPS customisations or a clash between those and the existing encyclopaedia metadata.

• StanHarris
      StanHarris
      8 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-14T14:11:39Z  in response to PiersH

THANK YOU!!!

Believe it or not this morning I had another eneyclopedia fail in the same way and your suggestion worked great.

Thanks again

Stan