• 22 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2017-06-26T15:50:55Z by pkavcic
Christian_
Christian_
30 Posts

Pinned topic RAVE2 Information

‏2016-08-22T11:52:54Z |

Hi,

I just read that the next release for CA (11.0.4, Oct 2016) will include support for RAVE2. Is there any information available regardings this topic?

Kind regards

Christian

Updated on 2016-08-22T11:53:06Z at 2016-08-22T11:53:06Z by Christian_
  • 24K5_Rick_Blackwell
    24K5_Rick_Blackwell
    12 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RAVE2 Information

‏2016-08-22T12:36:00Z  

I intend to make a video available with full details of RAVE 2 when we release.

• 24K5_Rick_Blackwell
    24K5_Rick_Blackwell
    12 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2016-08-29T14:17:16Z  

That is correct. RAVE 2 will be added to Cognos Analytics 11 only.

• 24K5_Rick_Blackwell
    24K5_Rick_Blackwell
    12 Posts

‏2016-08-22T12:36:00Z  

• iburki1
    iburki1
    13 Posts

‏2016-08-29T14:04:43Z  

Unless I'm mistaken, then is Rave 2.0 is not supported in Cognos 10.2.2?

• cct
    cct
    654 Posts

‏2016-08-29T14:16:40Z  
    • iburki1
    • ‏2016-08-29T14:04:43Z

Unless I'm mistaken, then is Rave 2.0 is not supported in Cognos 10.2.2?

Hi

RAVE 2.0 has not been released in a Cognos product. Cognos 10.2.2 used RAVE 1.8.

Thank you,

Craig

• 24K5_Rick_Blackwell
    24K5_Rick_Blackwell
    12 Posts

‏2016-08-29T14:17:16Z  

• iburki1
    iburki1
    13 Posts

‏2016-08-29T14:20:45Z  

Thank you very much for the quick response!  Would there be any issues going from RAVE 1.8 to 2.0 or having a RAVE 1.8 chart in Cognos 11?

• cct
    cct
    654 Posts

‏2016-08-29T14:55:32Z  
    • iburki1
    • ‏2016-08-29T14:20:45Z

Thank you very much for the quick response!  Would there be any issues going from RAVE 1.8 to 2.0 or having a RAVE 1.8 chart in Cognos 11?

Hi,

RAVE 1.x and RAVE 2 will co-exist.

Thank you,

Craig

• iburki1
    iburki1
    13 Posts

‏2016-08-29T15:00:36Z  
    • cct
    • ‏2016-08-29T14:55:32Z

Hi,

RAVE 1.x and RAVE 2 will co-exist.

Thank you,

Craig

Thanks again!

• 24K5_Rick_Blackwell
    24K5_Rick_Blackwell
    12 Posts

‏2016-08-29T16:56:38Z  
    • iburki1
    • ‏2016-08-29T14:20:45Z

Well, this is a much larger topic. We had lots of feedback on RAVE 1 VizJSON along the lines of 'while it's great to be able to create custom visualizations, most of the customizations are very small and should be dealt with as properties not requiring more custom coding, testing, deployment, etc. Also, VizJSON is a difficult language and skills are few and far between".

So, as we looked at RAVE 2 we chose a new set of goals:
    1. In the box visualizations
    2. More properties to allow more flexibility from a single visualization thereby minimizing the times a custom visualization is required
    3. Well known technology base allowing customers to find developers with skills more easily

The open source D3 library seemed a good start but there are some limitations we had to overcome. D3 is JavaScript only and we require more platforms. D3 does not provide APIs we require for specific interactivities, data, globalization and so on. D3 does not have the text and label handling we require. As D3 is the best known, and very capable open source visualization library, there are many skilled developers and lots of D3 content available so these limitations did not appear as show stoppers.

To address the limitations of D3, we implemented a D3 compatible library in Java with additional APIs for the missing items. We then generate JavaScript and iOS SWIFT to provide complete platform support. The JavaScript version is 100% D3 compatible, being routinely tested with D3 code we source from various web sites. The RAVE 2 visualizations are also coded in JAVA with the JavaScript SWIFT versions being generated the same way.

RAVE 2 has been is use by Watson Analytics since 2015; RAVE 1 will be eliminated from Watson Analytics very soon.

We are bringing RAVE 2 into the Cognos Analytics now. I expect to see it first in Dashboards in combinations with RAVE 1 and then in reports by the end of the year. Unlike RAVE 1, RAVE 2 visualizations will ship with the product and have many properties such that one does not need to create a new bundle for each minor variation. The exact set of RAVE 2 visualizations and properties is not yet fixed; I expect we will have a somewhat basic set of properties this year and add more over time.

We will leave RAVE 1 in Cognos Analytics to ensure that existing reports still operate. Of course, Cognos Analytics already supports RAVE 1 so there are no issues moving from Cognos BI 10.x.

Next year, we will look at providing an SDK to allow customers to integrate D3 content into Cognos Analytics. Details are yet to be worked out but the basic idea would be to keep the D3 code the same but add new code for the data and interactivity APIs and so on.

• Mrcognos
    Mrcognos
    11 Posts

‏2016-09-20T01:58:06Z  

Well, this is a much larger topic. We had lots of feedback on RAVE 1 VizJSON along the lines of 'while it's great to be able to create custom visualizations, most of the customizations are very small and should be dealt with as properties not requiring more custom coding, testing, deployment, etc. Also, VizJSON is a difficult language and skills are few and far between".

So, as we looked at RAVE 2 we chose a new set of goals:
    1. In the box visualizations
    2. More properties to allow more flexibility from a single visualization thereby minimizing the times a custom visualization is required
    3. Well known technology base allowing customers to find developers with skills more easily

The open source D3 library seemed a good start but there are some limitations we had to overcome. D3 is JavaScript only and we require more platforms. D3 does not provide APIs we require for specific interactivities, data, globalization and so on. D3 does not have the text and label handling we require. As D3 is the best known, and very capable open source visualization library, there are many skilled developers and lots of D3 content available so these limitations did not appear as show stoppers.

To address the limitations of D3, we implemented a D3 compatible library in Java with additional APIs for the missing items. We then generate JavaScript and iOS SWIFT to provide complete platform support. The JavaScript version is 100% D3 compatible, being routinely tested with D3 code we source from various web sites. The RAVE 2 visualizations are also coded in JAVA with the JavaScript SWIFT versions being generated the same way.

RAVE 2 has been is use by Watson Analytics since 2015; RAVE 1 will be eliminated from Watson Analytics very soon.

We are bringing RAVE 2 into the Cognos Analytics now. I expect to see it first in Dashboards in combinations with RAVE 1 and then in reports by the end of the year. Unlike RAVE 1, RAVE 2 visualizations will ship with the product and have many properties such that one does not need to create a new bundle for each minor variation. The exact set of RAVE 2 visualizations and properties is not yet fixed; I expect we will have a somewhat basic set of properties this year and add more over time.

We will leave RAVE 1 in Cognos Analytics to ensure that existing reports still operate. Of course, Cognos Analytics already supports RAVE 1 so there are no issues moving from Cognos BI 10.x.

Next year, we will look at providing an SDK to allow customers to integrate D3 content into Cognos Analytics. Details are yet to be worked out but the basic idea would be to keep the D3 code the same but add new code for the data and interactivity APIs and so on.

Hi Craig/Rick,

As Cognos 11.0.4 has been released can you please highlight the changes in the RAVE?

Thanks,

Mc

• 24K5_Rick_Blackwell
    24K5_Rick_Blackwell
    12 Posts

‏2016-09-20T15:32:22Z  
    • Mrcognos
    • ‏2016-09-20T01:58:06Z

Hi Craig/Rick,

As Cognos 11.0.4 has been released can you please highlight the changes in the RAVE?

Thanks,

Mc

As it turns out, integrating RAVE 2 into Cognos Analytics is taking longer than anticipated. Therefore, RAVE 2 is now planned for R5 due this year.

• Mrcognos
    Mrcognos
    11 Posts

‏2016-09-20T23:01:40Z  

As it turns out, integrating RAVE 2 into Cognos Analytics is taking longer than anticipated. Therefore, RAVE 2 is now planned for R5 due this year.

Hi Rick,

I have seen JS examples for D3 and RAVE2 in R4, Can we still use the D3 charts in R4? 

Thanks,

Mc

• 24K5_Rick_Blackwell
    24K5_Rick_Blackwell
    12 Posts

‏2016-09-21T13:10:45Z  
    • Mrcognos
    • ‏2016-09-20T23:01:40Z

Hi Rick,

I have seen JS examples for D3 and RAVE2 in R4, Can we still use the D3 charts in R4? 

Thanks,

Mc

Great question.

At it's core, RAVE 2 is a D3 compatible engine. But, D3 was never intended to solve problems we need to solve. For example, D3 is JavaScript based and we require Java and SWIFT (iOS) also. D3 does not provide standard APIs for data, interactivity, etc. And, D3 does not automatically manage label layout, accessibility, globalization and so on.

To solve the platform issue, create a D3 compatible core engine in Java. We generate JavaScript and SWIFT giving us a D3 compatible core on the platforms we require.

Around that D3 compatible core, we add APIs for data, interactivity and such and code to manage label layout, accessibility, globalization and so on.

How compatible is the D3 core? We can run visualizations coded for D3 as is changing only the 1 line of code that loads the engine.

Does that mean you can run D3 in RAVE 2? Not yet. We need to create an SDK with the APIs for data, interactivity, etc. We plan to deliver that in 2017 but there is no specific target quarter at this time.

What are we doing right now? We will deliver RAVE 2 in R5 later this year with 'replacement' visualizations for the Analytic Zone RAVE 1 chart. These new RAVE 2 visualizations will differ stylistically and, more importantly, be bundled into Cognos Analytics (no more download and install!!) and have a larger set of properties negating the need to create a custom visualization for minor changes. For example, the new Area visualization has something like 60 properties.

Of course, RAVE 1 will still be in the product to run existing visualizations.

• Mrcognos
    Mrcognos
    11 Posts

‏2016-09-21T13:47:12Z  

Great question.

At it's core, RAVE 2 is a D3 compatible engine. But, D3 was never intended to solve problems we need to solve. For example, D3 is JavaScript based and we require Java and SWIFT (iOS) also. D3 does not provide standard APIs for data, interactivity, etc. And, D3 does not automatically manage label layout, accessibility, globalization and so on.

To solve the platform issue, create a D3 compatible core engine in Java. We generate JavaScript and SWIFT giving us a D3 compatible core on the platforms we require.

Around that D3 compatible core, we add APIs for data, interactivity and such and code to manage label layout, accessibility, globalization and so on.

How compatible is the D3 core? We can run visualizations coded for D3 as is changing only the 1 line of code that loads the engine.

Does that mean you can run D3 in RAVE 2? Not yet. We need to create an SDK with the APIs for data, interactivity, etc. We plan to deliver that in 2017 but there is no specific target quarter at this time.

What are we doing right now? We will deliver RAVE 2 in R5 later this year with 'replacement' visualizations for the Analytic Zone RAVE 1 chart. These new RAVE 2 visualizations will differ stylistically and, more importantly, be bundled into Cognos Analytics (no more download and install!!) and have a larger set of properties negating the need to create a custom visualization for minor changes. For example, the new Area visualization has something like 60 properties.

Of course, RAVE 1 will still be in the product to run existing visualizations.

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation Rick.

• pkavcic
    pkavcic
    37 Posts

‏2017-06-22T07:35:04Z  
    • Mrcognos
    • ‏2016-09-21T13:47:12Z

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation Rick.

Hi,

Is there a way to add a custom color palette to the charts? I would add my own color palette (look at the screenshoot in attachment), but I can't find any setting where I could add my own palette to the charts. So is there a way to do it in Cognos Analitics 11.x, or should we still use the Visualization Customizer? If it is not possible in 11.x, do you maybe know if it will be possible and when can we expect it?

Thank you for your answer,

Primoz

Attachments

• cct
    cct
    654 Posts

‏2017-06-22T13:07:20Z  
    • pkavcic
    • ‏2017-06-22T07:35:04Z

Hi,

Is there a way to add a custom color palette to the charts? I would add my own color palette (look at the screenshoot in attachment), but I can't find any setting where I could add my own palette to the charts. So is there a way to do it in Cognos Analitics 11.x, or should we still use the Visualization Customizer? If it is not possible in 11.x, do you maybe know if it will be possible and when can we expect it?

Thank you for your answer,

Primoz

Hi,

You will have to modify the following files on all servers.

reportstyles\palettes.json
    templates\rsvp\irot\reportstyles\palettes.json
    webcontent\bi\common\palettes.json
    webcontent\bi\irot\reportstyles\palettes.json

Note: these files could change in the future. Which basically means change at your own risk.

Please look at the preserve.txt file in the <install_dir>\configuration\preserve folder to ensure they will not get over-written in the future.
    https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEP7J_11.0.0/com.ibm.swg.ba.cognos.inst_cr_winux.doc/c_ca_upgrade_latest.html

Thank You,

Craig

• pkavcic
    pkavcic
    37 Posts

‏2017-06-22T13:40:41Z  
    • cct
    • ‏2017-06-22T13:07:20Z

Hi,

You will have to modify the following files on all servers.

reportstyles\palettes.json
    templates\rsvp\irot\reportstyles\palettes.json
    webcontent\bi\common\palettes.json
    webcontent\bi\irot\reportstyles\palettes.json

Note: these files could change in the future. Which basically means change at your own risk.

Please look at the preserve.txt file in the <install_dir>\configuration\preserve folder to ensure they will not get over-written in the future.
    https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEP7J_11.0.0/com.ibm.swg.ba.cognos.inst_cr_winux.doc/c_ca_upgrade_latest.html

Thank You,

Craig

Thank you for your answer.

I found it before you answered and I changed two of them, but I didn't needed to change the following files -> [templates\rsvp\irot\reportstyles\palettes.json] and [webcontent\bi\irot\reportstyles\palettes.json].

The first one is for changing the default colors in chart and third one is for color palette in settings. What are the other two files of palettes for (those i didn't change)?

Yeah, that's why I posted you a question as we were wondering if there is a way to change a color palette without changing those files for the reasons you listed.

Anyway thank you for reply and have a nice day,

Primoz

• cct
    cct
    654 Posts

‏2017-06-22T14:58:36Z  
    • pkavcic
    • ‏2017-06-22T13:40:41Z

Thank you for your answer.

I found it before you answered and I changed two of them, but I didn't needed to change the following files -> [templates\rsvp\irot\reportstyles\palettes.json] and [webcontent\bi\irot\reportstyles\palettes.json].

The first one is for changing the default colors in chart and third one is for color palette in settings. What are the other two files of palettes for (those i didn't change)?

Yeah, that's why I posted you a question as we were wondering if there is a way to change a color palette without changing those files for the reasons you listed.

Anyway thank you for reply and have a nice day,

Primoz

Hi,

What are the other two files of palettes for?

Active Reports

Thank you,

Craig

• pkavcic
    pkavcic
    37 Posts

‏2017-06-26T08:18:01Z  

Oh...ok, tnx. I didn't try active report yet, but good to know that.

Can I ask questions for D3 visualisations here or should I use another forum topic?

I'm interested to know if it is possible to [look at the screenshoot] add a value into a column directly. We don't want labels besides the columns but we would like to have values above them or directly on them (so you don't need to hoover with mouse over it). These D3 graphs are faster than the old ones (active reports...) and we would use those if we could get them to work as we would like them to. So is it possible to get a value [unit price for example] directly to columns or above them.

Thank you for your help!

• pkavcic
    pkavcic
    37 Posts

‏2017-06-26T08:27:57Z  

Also on the web I can't find anything about Render Method (client/srever). The thing is that for some visualisations you have this option in properties pane, and for some we just can't find. Do you know anything about this?

• cct
    cct
    654 Posts

‏2017-06-26T12:24:34Z  
    • pkavcic
    • ‏2017-06-26T08:27:57Z

Also on the web I can't find anything about Render Method (client/srever). The thing is that for some visualisations you have this option in properties pane, and for some we just can't find. Do you know anything about this?

Hi,

RAVE 1.x and the new visualization will have that option if it is in an Active Report.

Thank you,

Craig

• cct
    cct
    654 Posts

‏2017-06-26T12:29:03Z  
    • pkavcic
    • ‏2017-06-26T08:18:01Z

Oh...ok, tnx. I didn't try active report yet, but good to know that.

Can I ask questions for D3 visualisations here or should I use another forum topic?

I'm interested to know if it is possible to [look at the screenshoot] add a value into a column directly. We don't want labels besides the columns but we would like to have values above them or directly on them (so you don't need to hoover with mouse over it). These D3 graphs are faster than the old ones (active reports...) and we would use those if we could get them to work as we would like them to. So is it possible to get a value [unit price for example] directly to columns or above them.

Thank you for your help!

Hi,

This is a known issue; it will be resolved in the future.

Note: no timeline can be provided.

Thank you,

Craig

• pkavcic
    pkavcic
    37 Posts

‏2017-06-26T15:50:55Z  
    • cct
    • ‏2017-06-26T12:24:34Z

Hi,

RAVE 1.x and the new visualization will have that option if it is in an Active Report.

Thank you,

Craig

Thanks Craig for providing all the information I've asked you lately.

Have a nice day!