7 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-09-30T19:24:09Z by Bob Kranson
Aliatsoft
Aliatsoft
20 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Extending Teamspace

‏2014-01-03T21:50:45Z |

Hi and Happy New Year!

What is the best approach - with least amount of  coding and customization- to extend teamspace/teamspace templates to support custom fields (similar to custom folder and document classes in P8)?

Appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Ali

Updated on 2014-01-08T22:59:43Z at 2014-01-08T22:59:43Z by Aliatsoft
  • Aliatsoft
    Aliatsoft
    20 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Extending Teamspace

‏2014-01-10T16:22:19Z  in response to Aliatsoft

I din't hear back on this one so thought it might help to elaborate a bit more on the requirement.

We are planning to use the teamspace for project document management and collaboration with self-serve features.

The requirement is to integrate it with the project management system (using EDS and WebServices). What we need is to add project attributes to teamspace and have a "Project Teamspace Template" which has a Project ID attribute users can manage using ICN and with which we could integrate with the PM system.

It would be ideal to have another section in teamspace template creation wizard to add user defined attributes!

• damorris
      damorris
      765 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-10T18:12:18Z  in response to Aliatsoft

You are not the only customer to ask for this feature. It is on our product requirements backlog and something I hope we can get to sooner rather than later.  

In the meantime, you can add property templates to the Teamspace class in P8.  You can't populate the properties automatically in the OOTB template builder / teamspace builder wizards as you indicated, but you could work around this a number of ways, including maybe just having users set the description to the project ID and then having a P8 event trigger that reads that property and sets the project ID property (or you could not bother with a property ID and just use the description for this purpose as-is).

There are probably other ways you could do this but those are some quick thoughts.

• luwt
        luwt
        53 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-09-24T23:08:08Z  in response to damorris

Hi Morris,

ICN 2.0.3 just released, any update for this teamspace extending? we need to do same thing, ideally I'd like to create a subclass and add project properties there, but it maybe too complicated to modify teamspace code or create plug-ins for the teamspace wizard and modify these new properties in teamspace.

Thanks

• Bob Kranson
        Bob Kranson
        57 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-09-30T19:24:09Z  in response to damorris

"can't populate the properties automatically in the OOTB template builder / teamspace builder wizards as you indicated, but you could work around this a number of ways"

I used a response filter to set the default values in the openTemplate call as a way to assign default values to properties from a URL input.  The URL input was available from the referer header field as the original invoking URL.

Just a suggestion.

• Aliatsoft
    Aliatsoft
    20 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-01-10T18:42:33Z  in response to Aliatsoft

Thanks for suggestions and hope to see the feature in next release!

My line of thought was along same ideas. I also thought of adding a default document of "project definition" class with all required data elements and manage it in a special way (one to one with teamspace instance). If get to implementation, will update this post.

• luwt
      luwt
      53 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-09-26T17:34:59Z  in response to Aliatsoft

Hi Aliatsoft,

can you share some ideas and tips on how you implement this in your projects?

Thanks

• Aliatsoft
        Aliatsoft
        20 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-09-29T14:31:15Z  in response to luwt

Hope I am wrong but I didn't see or read about any Teamspace related enhancement in 2.0.3 release...

We have not done any dev on project teamspace to advise you based on real implementation but having done other ICN implementations since, I suggest staying with OOTBox where possible. I would first try repurposing "Description" for Project ID and using EDS to validate it.