• 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-05-10T10:35:18Z by eech
eech
eech
4 Posts

Pinned topic x3530

‏2013-05-10T09:18:11Z |

Hi All,

I just bought my first IBM server (System x3530 M4), and have problems installing Ubuntu Server onto it, i.e. it will not bootup after installation. I'm still running UEFI version v1.02 and so I was recommended to upgrade my firmware first.

As I do not have anything installed on it, I wanted to do this traight from IMM2, but when I upload the firmware image (ibm_fw_uefi_bee124c-1.30_anyos_32-64.uxz) it tells me it's an invalid format (The uploaded file is not a valid update firmware file.) :( 

So my next try was doing it remotely (from windows XP, and RHEL5) with usxpi 9.3, but it than complains it can not connect to the server (ping and web access work fine from these PCs). This is the command line I use; uxspi_9.30.exe update -s all --latest --remote=172.30.152.120 --remote-user=USERID --remote-password=PASSW0RD

Hope anyone has a hint on how to proceed here?

//eech

PS: I also tries to install a remote control access key, but this also  fails with the "Error Code:The License key format is invalid" error.

• Novikov_Alexander
    Novikov_Alexander
    6877 Posts

Re: x3530

‏2013-05-10T10:12:53Z  

Dear Eelco,

there are 2 easy ways for firmware update:

1. use iMM2 Web interface for iMM2 and uEFI update installation (see readme files for details);

2. use BoMC tool :

IBM Bootable Media Creator (BoMC)
    https://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/myportal/docdisplay?lndocid=TOOL-BOMC

Best regards,
    Alexander Novikov
    Russia, Moscow

• eech
    eech
    4 Posts

Re: x3530

‏2013-05-10T10:35:18Z  

Dear Eelco,

there are 2 easy ways for firmware update:

1. use iMM2 Web interface for iMM2 and uEFI update installation (see readme files for details);

2. use BoMC tool :

IBM Bootable Media Creator (BoMC)
    https://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/myportal/docdisplay?lndocid=TOOL-BOMC

Best regards,
    Alexander Novikov
    Russia, Moscow

Hi Alexander,

I would really love to use the UMM2 web interface as I'm remote now, but this is all I can find in the readme file, assuming this is the file you refer to, ibm_fw_uefi_bee124c-1.30_anyos_32-64.txt:

Updating via IMM2
                =================
                If you are updating the uEFI firmware through the IMM2
                user interfaces, you should make sure that the server is powered up
                and booted into the Operating System, otherwise the IMM2 is unable to
                access the uEFI flash device.

If I just send/upload the ibm_fw_uefi_bee124c-1.30_anyos_32-64.uxz file, I get the IMM2 web interface reporting the following error: "The uploaded file is not a valid update firmware file." 

Do I maybe need another file? I was not able to find it on the support side...

//Eelco

//eech