Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-03-14T10:36:20Z by shaneski
shaneski
shaneski
2 Posts

Pinned topic No 'Realizes Business Service' relationship?

‏2014-02-27T16:04:22Z |

System Architect recently got rid of the 'Realizes Business Service' relationship in the Application Component.

This was how I was modelling  dependencies between Business Services and Applications

What is the suggested alternative construct?

• Frank OKeefe
    Frank OKeefe
    13 Posts

Re: No 'Realizes Business Service' relationship?

‏2014-03-11T20:36:39Z  

Hello,

Can I please confirm the version of System Architect that you are running?

Are you using TOGAF9 ?

In my ToGAF9 encyclopedia, I see a definition type called "IS Service".

In the IS Service definition, I see a chapter or tab called "Realization".

On this tab I see the property "Realizes Business Service".

Also on this same tab I see the property "Is realized through Application Components"

Not sure if this helps or not?

Thanks,

Frank O'Keefe

• shaneski
    shaneski
    2 Posts

Re: No 'Realizes Business Service' relationship?

‏2014-03-14T10:36:20Z  

Hello,

Can I please confirm the version of System Architect that you are running?

Are you using TOGAF9 ?

In my ToGAF9 encyclopedia, I see a definition type called "IS Service".

In the IS Service definition, I see a chapter or tab called "Realization".

On this tab I see the property "Realizes Business Service".

Also on this same tab I see the property "Is realized through Application Components"

Not sure if this helps or not?

Thanks,

Frank O'Keefe

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the help. I have version 11.4.2.6 (Build 42).( If I recall correctly I had been on version 11.4.2.1).

I can see the relationships you refer to in the IS Service.  However,  I had been using the relationship between the TOGAF types "Business Service" and "Logical Application Component". In the version of SysArchitect I was using , there had been a relationship between these 2 types (Realizes Business Service) , and I had used this extensively in my model.   I did this because I didn't want to have to model an extra layer of services.

I saw in some release notes for 11.4.2.4 that this relationship was removed from the OOTB TOGAF metamodel.

Another removal that has affected my model is the Vendor Relationship , which had previously been in the Logical Application Component , and now is not present (it is now in the Physical Application Component).

I guess in order to allow these relationships again I need to modify my metamodel (...or get the previously supported one back). Does Rational store these in any way - or exports of them as USRPROPS.TXT?

Otherwise I have 2 options :

• Remodel the architecture using different types ( which I don't really want to do: - lot of work)
    • Or modify the metamodel to support the previously supported metamodel

How does one protect your model from these kind of update effects (it would seem to me that you have to look at release notes, see what relationships/ types are being removed changed....and move these into the USRPROPS.txt)....As a relative novice, on first impressions , changing the metamodel seems quite challenging...

Shane