IC SunsetThe developerWorks Connections platform will be sunset on December 31, 2019. On January 1, 2020, this forum will no longer be available. More details available on our FAQ.
Topic
  • 34 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2018-07-25T07:09:10Z by danik1956
danik1956
danik1956
18 Posts

Pinned topic Installing z/OS Connect V3

‏2018-07-16T08:37:31Z |

We are running an ADCD version of z/OS V2.2 and I can see that z/OS connect V2 components exist in some loadlibs and in USS directories.

I don't see the V2 FMID listed in the global SMP zone.

How do I go about installing the z/OS Connect V3 ?  Can it be downloaded via Passport Advantage or should I enroll in the open Beta program ?

Thanks in advance....Dani Kalmar / Software Route Ltd.

• Alan Hollingshead
    Alan Hollingshead
    58 Posts

Re: Installing z/OS Connect V3

‏2018-07-17T08:25:31Z  

Hello Dani,

Thank you for your question. we can confirm that ADCD for z/OS V2.2 contains z/OS Connect EE V2; for a distribution that contains z/OS Connect EE V3 you will need to acquire ADCD for z/OS V2.3 (November 2017 edition) or later.

We would advise that you enrol in the Open Beta program, which will give you access to the latest features of z/OS Connect V3. You can enrol here at this address - http://ibm.biz/zosconnect-open-beta .

• danik1956
    danik1956
    18 Posts

‏2018-07-17T09:13:07Z  

Thanks for the info. I will go ahead and signup for the open Beta program.

• danik1956
    danik1956
    18 Posts

‏2018-07-17T15:34:43Z  

Hi Alan,

I have enrolled to the Beta program and SMP/E installed the product on my system.
    Are there any APARS I need to apply on top of the Beta version and/or to other z/OS components before I start testing z/OS Connect EE 3.0 ?

Also, if V2 already installed, what is the procedure to modify the server configuration to run V3 ?

Cheers….Dani

Updated on 2018-07-17T20:13:43Z at 2018-07-17T20:13:43Z by danik1956
  • Alan Hollingshead
    Alan Hollingshead
    58 Posts

‏2018-07-18T08:09:54Z  
    • danik1956
    • ‏2018-07-17T15:34:43Z

Hi Alan,

I have enrolled to the Beta program and SMP/E installed the product on my system.
    Are there any APARS I need to apply on top of the Beta version and/or to other z/OS components before I start testing z/OS Connect EE 3.0 ?

Also, if V2 already installed, what is the procedure to modify the server configuration to run V3 ?

Cheers….Dani

Hi Dani,

There are no APARs that need applying to the z/OS Connect EE open beta. The open beta is refreshed monthly and any maintenance is applied to the next drop.

Regarding the other z/OS components, please see the supported software stack listed in the z/OS Connect EE open beta Knowledge Center: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SS4SVW_beta/installing/requirements.html

Kind regards,

Alan.

• danik1956
    danik1956
    18 Posts

‏2018-07-18T08:28:00Z  

Thanks Alan.

What about the upgrade process from V2 to V3 ?  

The ADCD already had V2 configured, so what is the process of migrating the existing setup to run V3 ?

Cheers....Dani

• Alan Hollingshead
    Alan Hollingshead
    58 Posts

‏2018-07-18T09:43:41Z  
    • danik1956
    • ‏2018-07-18T08:28:00Z

Thanks Alan.

What about the upgrade process from V2 to V3 ?  

The ADCD already had V2 configured, so what is the process of migrating the existing setup to run V3 ?

Cheers....Dani

Hi Dani,

Following your install of z/OS Connect EE V3, please ensure you have run "zconsetup install" from the <install_dir>/bin directory.

Your servers that you used in z/OS Connect EE V2, by default, are in /var/zosconnect/servers

These servers can be used, without any upgrade process, for V3.

As with V2, use the BAQSTRT JCL supplied with the open beta to point to your server, install directory, and Java home directory.

Kind regards,

Alan.

• danik1956
    danik1956
    18 Posts

‏2018-07-18T11:55:49Z  

So other than tailoring the server startup proc there is no need to place anything in LNKLIST or LPALIST ?

• edwardz10
    edwardz10
    14 Posts

‏2018-07-18T12:25:07Z  
    • danik1956
    • ‏2018-07-18T11:55:49Z

So other than tailoring the server startup proc there is no need to place anything in LNKLIST or LPALIST ?

Correct, there are no zCEE load modules to put in LINKLST or LPA

• danik1956
    danik1956
    18 Posts

‏2018-07-19T04:11:24Z  

After I have modified the server startup proc to set ZCONHOME to the V3 install, I've seen the following error message in STDERR:

CWWKF0001E: A feature definition could not be found for zosconnect:zosconnect-2.0

Where are the feature definitions defined and should those be modified for V3 ?

• Alan Hollingshead
    Alan Hollingshead
    58 Posts

‏2018-07-19T08:37:15Z  
    • danik1956
    • ‏2018-07-19T04:11:24Z

After I have modified the server startup proc to set ZCONHOME to the V3 install, I've seen the following error message in STDERR:

CWWKF0001E: A feature definition could not be found for zosconnect:zosconnect-2.0

Where are the feature definitions defined and should those be modified for V3 ?

Hi Dani,

Did you run "zconsetup install" before starting your server, as mentioned in my earlier post?

"Following your install of z/OS Connect EE V3, please ensure you have run "zconsetup install" from the <install_dir>/bin directory. "

Kind regards,

Alan.

Updated on 2018-07-19T08:42:47Z at 2018-07-19T08:42:47Z by Alan Hollingshead
  • danik1956
    danik1956
    18 Posts

‏2018-07-19T10:58:24Z  

Hi Dani,

Did you run "zconsetup install" before starting your server, as mentioned in my earlier post?

"Following your install of z/OS Connect EE V3, please ensure you have run "zconsetup install" from the <install_dir>/bin directory. "

Kind regards,

Alan.

Oopps, I forgot to run "zconsetup install".

After doing that the error message no longer appear.

• danik1956
    danik1956
    18 Posts

‏2018-07-23T15:56:01Z  

I am trying to configure the connection from ZCEE server to CICS as outlined here:     

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SS4SVW_3.0.0/com.ibm.zosconnect.doc/scenarios/cics_connection.html

When I start the server started task for "catalogManager" I receive the following error:

Server catalogManager already running 

I have no indication that this server is already running.

Any idea what is causing this error message ?

• edwardz10
    edwardz10
    14 Posts

‏2018-07-23T16:17:30Z  
    • danik1956
    • ‏2018-07-23T15:56:01Z

I am trying to configure the connection from ZCEE server to CICS as outlined here:     

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SS4SVW_3.0.0/com.ibm.zosconnect.doc/scenarios/cics_connection.html

When I start the server started task for "catalogManager" I receive the following error:

Server catalogManager already running 

I have no indication that this server is already running.

Any idea what is causing this error message ?

You may have started the zCEE server from a telnet session via a Liberty server start type command, and when you then tried to start a started task for the same server, got the already started message.  The server.xml file for your zCEE server will specify some HTTP TCPIP ports.  You could do a cmd like this from a telnet session ( or from TSO OMVS if you are still in the process of getting telnet or ssh set up for your zOS LPAR )

netstat > /tmp/ns.txt

Then look in that file and search for the HTTP port number your zCEE server listens on and see if it shows up and if it does it will have a STC name or TSO Userid associated with it. 

Or look in SDSF under your userid and see if there are multiple entries there for your userid, one of these could be the zCEE server running from your telnet session.

• danik1956
    danik1956
    18 Posts

‏2018-07-23T17:12:09Z  

I have previously started a ZCEE server started task for another server instance defined in: 

/var/zosconnect/servers/server1

That started task came up fine and then I shut it down.

Next I attempted to start a new instance of the server defined in:   

/var/zosconnect/servers/catalogManager

That is when I received the error message.

I have not started any server instance from a telnet session.

The server I'm trying to start have these ports defined in server.xml:

httpPort="29080" httpsPort="29443"

These ports do not appear to be open in the netstat output file.

Updated on 2018-07-23T17:12:50Z at 2018-07-23T17:12:50Z by danik1956
  • edwardz10
    edwardz10
    14 Posts

‏2018-07-24T04:13:43Z  
    • danik1956
    • ‏2018-07-23T17:12:09Z

I have previously started a ZCEE server started task for another server instance defined in: 

Difficult to say what is amiss without getting you to send logs etc etc.

You mentioned you were able to start another zcee server called server1 all ok.  If your aim here is to get an initial zCEE API up and working, then for now why not use that server1 zCEE server, there is no dependency in zCEE on server names,.  That way you can proceed with creating a service and application project in the API Editor on your PC and see if you can get it to work to CICS. 

• edwardz10
    edwardz10
    14 Posts

‏2018-07-24T04:13:58Z  
    • danik1956
    • ‏2018-07-23T17:12:09Z

Difficult to say what is amiss without getting you to send logs etc etc.

You mentioned you were able to start another zcee server called server1 all ok.  If your aim here is to get an initial zCEE API up and working, then for now why not use that server1 zCEE server, there is no dependency in zCEE on server names,.  That way you can proceed with creating a service and application project in the API Editor on your PC and see if you can get it to work to CICS. 

• danik1956
    danik1956
    18 Posts

‏2018-07-24T05:24:55Z  

I found the problem. The file ownerships and permissions for "/var/zosconnect/servers/catalogManager" were not set correctly.

Server is now up and running.

Updated on 2018-07-24T06:25:08Z at 2018-07-24T06:25:08Z by danik1956
  • edwardz10
    edwardz10
    14 Posts

‏2018-07-24T06:24:40Z  
    • danik1956
    • ‏2018-07-24T05:24:55Z

I found the problem. The file ownerships and permissions for "/var/zosconnect/servers/catalogManager" were not set correctly.

You will have log in the STC job log.  Also you will have a sub-dir for each server you create, typically you set WLP_USER_DIR before you create the servers and there will be a directory for each server defined under that parent dir.  Then once a server starts, there will be a log sub directory, and in that will be a messages.log file ( in ASCII ).  For the server1 that started ok, there should be a messages.lg, for the server called catalogManager, if it never really got started there may well be no logs sub-dir created.

• danik1956
    danik1956
    18 Posts

‏2018-07-24T06:25:44Z  
    • edwardz10
    • ‏2018-07-24T06:24:40Z

You will have log in the STC job log.  Also you will have a sub-dir for each server you create, typically you set WLP_USER_DIR before you create the servers and there will be a directory for each server defined under that parent dir.  Then once a server starts, there will be a log sub directory, and in that will be a messages.log file ( in ASCII ).  For the server1 that started ok, there should be a messages.lg, for the server called catalogManager, if it never really got started there may well be no logs sub-dir created.

• edwardz10
    edwardz10
    14 Posts

‏2018-07-24T06:36:01Z  
    • danik1956
    • ‏2018-07-24T05:24:55Z

Also....

how are you specifying/passing in the server name to the STC JCL when you start it ? 

In the JCL, I have for example

//BAQSTRT  PROC PARMS=''

//ZCON     EXEC PGM=BPXBATSL,REGION=0M,MEMLIMIT=4G,         
    //         PARM='PGM &ZCONHOME./bin/zosconnect run &PARMS.'

Start command is

S WAZS31A,parms='wazs31a'

But if my JCL had

//BAQSTRT  PROC PARMS='wazs31a'

then I could do

S WAZS31A

Asking in case the JCL for the catalogManager server is using server1 name somehow

• danik1956
    danik1956
    18 Posts

‏2018-07-24T07:01:20Z  

This is the first line in the server STC procedure:

//ZOSCSRV  PROC PARMS='catalogManager --clean'  

There is still one error message in STDOUT that I need to resolve:

CWPKI0817A: The default SSL configuration expects a <keyStore> element with an id value of defaultKeyStore, and a password. The defaultKeyStore <keyStore> element is missing,

Also, what is the easiest way to test the CICS connectivity ?

• bayliss
    bayliss
    36 Posts

‏2018-07-24T07:28:21Z  
    • danik1956
    • ‏2018-07-24T07:01:20Z

CWPKI0817A: The default SSL configuration expects a <keyStore> element with an id value of defaultKeyStore, and a password. The defaultKeyStore <keyStore> element is missing,

Hi Dani,

RE: The message "CWPKI0817A: The default SSL configuration expects a <keyStore> element with an id value of defaultKeyStore, and a password. The defaultKeyStore <keyStore> element is missing," you are seeing. This is a known behaviour, you only need to take action to resolve it if you are currently trying to use an SSL connection from  your client to your z/OS Connect EE server. Please see "CWPKI0817A The defaultKeyStore <keyStore> element is missing." for more details.

Regards, Sue

• danik1956
    danik1956
    18 Posts

‏2018-07-24T07:30:09Z  

I copied some KEYSTORE definitions from the SERVER1 server.xml into the catalogManager server.xml and now it seems the server starts up with no error messages.

The following is from STDOUT:

R_DIR environment variable is not set. The default value /var/zosconnect is used
    atalogManager (z/OS Connect open beta/wlp-1.0.20.cl180120180309-2209) on IBM J9 
    CWWKE0001I: The server catalogManager has been launched.                        
    BAQR7000I: z/OS Connect API package catalog installed successfully.             
    BAQR0000I: z/OS Connect Enterprise Edition open beta (20180702-1144)            
    BAQR9999I: Open beta version will expire at Sun Sep 30 00:00:00 GMT 2018        
    BAQR7043I: z/OS Connect EE service archive placeOrder installed successfully.   
    BAQR7043I: z/OS Connect EE service archive inquireSingle installed successfully.
    BAQR7043I: z/OS Connect EE service archive inquireCatalog installed successfully
    CWWKF0012I: The server installed the following features: Ýjsp-2.3, servlet-3.1, 
    CWWKF0011I: The server catalogManager is ready to run a smarter planet.         
    CWWKT0016I: Web application available (default_host): http://192.168.1.249:29080

• bayliss
    bayliss
    36 Posts

‏2018-07-24T07:48:45Z  
    • danik1956
    • ‏2018-07-24T07:01:20Z

Hi Dani,

RE: Your question "Also, what is the easiest way to test the CICS connectivity ?"
    If you already have an API deployed to your z/OS Connect EE server to expose an existing CICS program and have configured the IPIC connection to CICS, you can use the z/OS Connect EE API Toolkit to test the API. The following information in the Knowledge Centre may be helpful "Create a server and connect to CICS".

From the fact that you have a server called catalogManager, I am assuming you may have already created that from the "sampleCicsIpicCatalogManager" server template, or have followed other scenarios to create an API for the CICS Catalog manager sample, so you can skip to the "Test the IPIC connection" step on that page. Note: The heading "Test the IPIC connection" on the page I've linked to, is a hyperlink to another page with step by step instructions for how to test an API from the API Toolkit.

Regards, Sue.