Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2018-07-13T02:50:48Z by althat1954
Hemalatha_Annamalai
Hemalatha_Annamalai
9 Posts

Pinned topic Performance and Document Management in TRIRIGA

‏2016-06-09T18:27:57Z | document tririga

I have worked in TRIRIGA application for the past 5 years fucntionally & technically. I have not seen any clients using external applications to manage documents through interface. Recently, in my organization, there is a lot of conversations around using an external application for document management. 

Is there anyone else who uses external system to manage documents from TRIRIGA?

If yes, can you please help me understand the reason going for an external application instead of using out of box features from TRIRIGA?

What are all the limitations in document management in TRIRIGA? 

Thanks,

Hema

• RyanKoppelman
    RyanKoppelman
    68 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Performance and Document Management in TRIRIGA

‏2016-06-10T01:13:51Z  

It's not uncommon to manage documents in an external system like FileNet or Documentum and then link TRIRIGA to that (either as a mirror or pass-thru). The primary reason is that the aforementioned solutions are actual Enterprise Content Management systems; they were designed and built with the core mission of enterprise document management on very large scales. TRIRIGA is an IWMS solution that happens to provide some internal document management capabilities, but it's not intended to meet or exceed the capabilities of a purpose-built ECM solution.

So in cases where you're managing millions of potential documents (even tens of thousands, to be honest), you'll likely be better served using an ECM solution as the source of storage and management for that content. It's not that there's any specific line in the sand or limitation for TRIRIGA document management capabilities, but depending on your goals you may find that integrating TRIRIGA with a true ECM solution will better meet your requirements. Other people will be able to access those systems without TRIRIGA access, you can control security independent of TRIRIGA, you're not loading up the TRIRIGA DB schema with gigs of content, etc.

Ryan

• MartinBurch
    MartinBurch
    75 Posts

‏2016-06-09T19:19:12Z  

I'm not really familiar with document management, but you might want to look at this post: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=5b186594-7785-4558-965e-7a21577f33a7

• RyanKoppelman
    RyanKoppelman
    68 Posts

‏2016-06-10T01:13:51Z  

It's not uncommon to manage documents in an external system like FileNet or Documentum and then link TRIRIGA to that (either as a mirror or pass-thru). The primary reason is that the aforementioned solutions are actual Enterprise Content Management systems; they were designed and built with the core mission of enterprise document management on very large scales. TRIRIGA is an IWMS solution that happens to provide some internal document management capabilities, but it's not intended to meet or exceed the capabilities of a purpose-built ECM solution.

So in cases where you're managing millions of potential documents (even tens of thousands, to be honest), you'll likely be better served using an ECM solution as the source of storage and management for that content. It's not that there's any specific line in the sand or limitation for TRIRIGA document management capabilities, but depending on your goals you may find that integrating TRIRIGA with a true ECM solution will better meet your requirements. Other people will be able to access those systems without TRIRIGA access, you can control security independent of TRIRIGA, you're not loading up the TRIRIGA DB schema with gigs of content, etc.

Ryan