• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-04-24T12:00:50Z by k0da
k0da
k0da
49 Posts

Pinned topic RFC PowerLInux boot wiki page

‏2014-04-07T00:21:32Z | boot grub2 yaboot

Hi,

I"ve created a wiki page where I tried to collect all my knowledge about how PowerLinux (not limited to) boots. What are requirements.

So far I haven't seen a document which describes all required steps to make PowerLinux booted.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/W51a7ffcf4dfd_4b40_9d82_446ebc23c550/page/PowerLinux%20Boot%20howto

I appreciate for any feedback.

Thanks,

• k0da
    k0da
    49 Posts

Re: RFC PowerLInux boot wiki page

‏2014-04-16T19:42:04Z  

Anybody?

• JayFurmanek
    JayFurmanek
    115 Posts

‏2014-04-24T04:14:12Z  
    • k0da
    • ‏2014-04-16T19:42:04Z

Anybody?

Hi k0da,

Good info!

The installers for RHEL, SLES, Fedora and Ubuntu mostly take care of creating the things you mention there, but it is certainly good for reference.

I'd like to see some of this info relate back to the distros and how they are slightly different. For example:

RHEL, Fedora use PreP and yaboot

SLES uses vfat and a combination of lilo and yaboot

BTW, the "ybin" command copies the yaboot binary to a boot partition, so you shouldn't have to use 'dd'.

• k0da
    k0da
    49 Posts

‏2014-04-24T12:00:50Z  

Hi k0da,

Good info!

The installers for RHEL, SLES, Fedora and Ubuntu mostly take care of creating the things you mention there, but it is certainly good for reference.

I'd like to see some of this info relate back to the distros and how they are slightly different. For example:

RHEL, Fedora use PreP and yaboot

SLES uses vfat and a combination of lilo and yaboot

BTW, the "ybin" command copies the yaboot binary to a boot partition, so you shouldn't have to use 'dd'.

The info posted is mostly for distribution developers as a reference.

Well, SLES and openSUSE uses PReP for scenarios where yaboot can read kernel and initrd from boot/root partition if it is not able to do that, vfat is used. Then it contain yaboot, config, kernel and initrd.

SLES and openSUSE have package called lilo, it have nothing to do with x86 lilo. It contains yaboot and some scripts to convert lilo.conf into yaboot.conf or change vfat to PReP.