Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-04-24T12:00:50Z by k0da
k0da
k0da
48 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic RFC PowerLInux boot wiki page

‏2014-04-07T00:21:32Z |

Hi,

I"ve created a wiki page where I tried to collect all my knowledge about how PowerLinux (not limited to) boots. What are requirements.

So far I haven't seen a document which describes all required steps to make PowerLinux booted.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/W51a7ffcf4dfd_4b40_9d82_446ebc23c550/page/PowerLinux%20Boot%20howto

I appreciate for any feedback.

Thanks,

• k0da
    k0da
    48 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RFC PowerLInux boot wiki page

‏2014-04-16T19:42:04Z  in response to k0da

Anybody?

• JayFurmanek
      JayFurmanek
      98 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-24T04:14:12Z  in response to k0da

Hi k0da,

Good info!

The installers for RHEL, SLES, Fedora and Ubuntu mostly take care of creating the things you mention there, but it is certainly good for reference.

I'd like to see some of this info relate back to the distros and how they are slightly different. For example:

RHEL, Fedora use PreP and yaboot

SLES uses vfat and a combination of lilo and yaboot

BTW, the "ybin" command copies the yaboot binary to a boot partition, so you shouldn't have to use 'dd'.

• k0da
        k0da
        48 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-24T12:00:50Z  in response to JayFurmanek

The info posted is mostly for distribution developers as a reference.

Well, SLES and openSUSE uses PReP for scenarios where yaboot can read kernel and initrd from boot/root partition if it is not able to do that, vfat is used. Then it contain yaboot, config, kernel and initrd.

SLES and openSUSE have package called lilo, it have nothing to do with x86 lilo. It contains yaboot and some scripts to convert lilo.conf into yaboot.conf or change vfat to PReP.