Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-06-20T01:10:40Z by Saruton
Saruton
Saruton
111 Posts

Pinned topic Streams 3.1 startinstance failed (Java environment problem?)

‏2013-06-18T01:20:28Z |

Hi ALL,

I have a problem on Streams 3.1 start-up. Please give me advices.

The installation fails to start sws during s tartinstance command. I'm going to attach a file of those messages. I guess it said that something wrong at Java environment. Streams installer installed IBM Java, I assumed, but dependency_checker.sh displayed NOT_SET at 'Java full version', 'Java system encoding' and 'Java Home'. I set JAVA_HOME, and explicitly installed Oracle Java, but the problem hasn't been resolved.

In addition, when I remove sws from startinstance, the instance starts without any errors. I haven't seen this error on Streams 3.0 installation. How can I resolve the problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Stan
    Stan
    76 Posts

Re: Streams 3.1 startinstance failed (Java environment problem?)

‏2013-06-19T00:14:55Z  

Are you getting java core dumps?   If so please check those for fialure messages. 

Streams lays down a JRE but this is primarily for use durring installation - A JDK is required to do development.

The posted messages indicate serious problems with the JVM.  There are a mix of START messages and SHUTDOWN messages and " Thtread:java:Unavailable " is very strange.  It appears a startup was aborted ( ^CCDISC5194E The operation was terminated by the user. )  then another startup attempted. One possibility is that orphan JVM processes were created and these interfered with the subsequent startup?  Have you tried restarting the system to clear any problem processes then attempting to stat the instance?  I f you can'r restart the machine check for java processes usine 'java -elf | grep java' and kill all java processes before trying to start a fresh instance.

Run 'which java' to see what java is being used.  If 'which java' does not return a valid Jave SDK  then set your PATH variable so a valid Java SDK is retunred by 'which java'

If the SDK validates then please post the results of the dependency_checker here (NOTE: setting JAVA_HOME is not required to start an instance but is required by some of the toolkirs).  Also post the output of 'java -version' and the account resources reported by 'ulimit -a'

• Saruton
    Saruton
    111 Posts

‏2013-06-20T01:08:34Z  
    • Stan
    • ‏2013-06-19T00:14:55Z

Are you getting java core dumps?   If so please check those for fialure messages. 

Streams lays down a JRE but this is primarily for use durring installation - A JDK is required to do development.

The posted messages indicate serious problems with the JVM.  There are a mix of START messages and SHUTDOWN messages and " Thtread:java:Unavailable " is very strange.  It appears a startup was aborted ( ^CCDISC5194E The operation was terminated by the user. )  then another startup attempted. One possibility is that orphan JVM processes were created and these interfered with the subsequent startup?  Have you tried restarting the system to clear any problem processes then attempting to stat the instance?  I f you can'r restart the machine check for java processes usine 'java -elf | grep java' and kill all java processes before trying to start a fresh instance.

Run 'which java' to see what java is being used.  If 'which java' does not return a valid Jave SDK  then set your PATH variable so a valid Java SDK is retunred by 'which java'

If the SDK validates then please post the results of the dependency_checker here (NOTE: setting JAVA_HOME is not required to start an instance but is required by some of the toolkirs).  Also post the output of 'java -version' and the account resources reported by 'ulimit -a'

Thanks for your reply!

There aren't core dumps.

Following your suggestion, I rebooted the CentOS and run 'ps -elf | grep java' before and after 'startinstance'. Both show no java process.

[streamsadmin@myhost Desktop]$ ps -elf | grep java
    0 S 500       2966  2926  0  80   0 - 25811 pipe_w 00:39 pts/0    00:00:00 grep java

'which java' command outputs as following:

[streamsadmin@myhost Desktop]$ which java
    /usr/bin/java

I think this is a valid Oracle JDK.

I'm going to attach dependency_checker.sh output file.

I'll appreciate your continued support.

Thanks,

• Saruton
    Saruton
    111 Posts

‏2013-06-20T01:10:40Z  
    • Stan
    • ‏2013-06-19T00:14:55Z

This is an output of dependency_checker.sh.

Attachments