Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-08-07T16:51:50Z by HajoEhlers
HendersonD
HendersonD
49 Posts

Pinned topic Stacked 10gig switches, upgrade firmware non-disruptive

‏2013-06-04T18:42:38Z |

We have an IBM H Chassis with two IBM 10gig switches inserted in the back. These switches are stacked and are running an older version of firmware. We would like to upgrade these switches in a non-disruptive fashion. In other words, upgrade one switch, let it reboot, and then upgrade the second switch and let it reboot. Is this possible?

Our entire vSphere server and VMWare View environment lives on the 6 blades in this chassis. If I cannot upgrade the two switches independently I need to bring down the entire environment, upgrade the switches, and then bring it all back up. This is a lot of work and a big disruption I am hoping to avoid.

• SlowinskiS
    SlowinskiS
    28 Posts

Re: Stacked 10gig switches, upgrade firmware non-disruptive

‏2013-06-06T09:08:30Z  

Hi ,

Unfortunately during software upgrade all switches in the stack will be rebooted at the same time...

• HendersonD
    HendersonD
    49 Posts

‏2013-06-06T09:40:51Z  

Hi ,

Unfortunately during software upgrade all switches in the stack will be rebooted at the same time...

That is disappointing. I would imagine that other IBM customers would really like the ability to do a non-disruptive upgrade. Bringing down even a small vSphere environment and bringing it back up is a lot of work. This means I need to bring down Exchange, SQL, my domain controllers, everything.

• HendersonD
    HendersonD
    49 Posts

‏2013-06-06T16:45:55Z  

Hi ,

Just a followup

I have a SAN that has two controllers and one disk shelf. Each controller can be upgraded independently with no downtime

The core of our network are two Juniper switches that are stacked. These switches can be upgraded independently with no downtime

This would be a nice goal for IBM to make their switches do the same thing

• Swehoster
    Swehoster
    13 Posts

‏2013-07-04T08:43:45Z  

Just a followup

I have a SAN that has two controllers and one disk shelf. Each controller can be upgraded independently with no downtime

The core of our network are two Juniper switches that are stacked. These switches can be upgraded independently with no downtime

This would be a nice goal for IBM to make their switches do the same thing

Hi, got exact the same problem myself. 

We got an environment like your's and need to upgrade the firmware on the stacked switches.. I hope IBM will come with a solution, so it's possible to upgrade without bringing down both switches at the same time...

• HajoEhlers
    HajoEhlers
    72 Posts

‏2013-08-07T16:51:50Z  

Not tested.

Switch1 is master

Switch2 is backup

1) Update Software accorrding IBM procedure but without the reboot

2) Disconnect the master from the Stack by detaching the stack cables.

3) Reboot the master

4) After the reboot reconnect the master to the stack

5) Reboot ONLY the backup switch.

hth

Hajo