Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-06-03T14:40:17Z by jskohut
jskohut
jskohut
2 Posts

Pinned topic Cannot browse to D: on Windows DB2 Server

‏2013-05-24T14:03:02Z |

I tried to search for the answer to this question in the forum, but no luck so I am posting.

Using Data Studio to access a Windows 2008 R2 with SP1 installed IBM 10.X DB2 server. I have the Data Studio Client installed on my PC. I have connected to the DB2 running on the server and am trying to setup a backup job. I can select that I want to use File System as media for backup and when I use the Browse tool I see Root. When I expand the Root view, I ONLY see the contents of the C: on the Server. I do not see the D: (even though that is the drive on which DB2 is actually installed).  Is there something I need to do in Data Studio or on the Windows Server/DB2 configuration to allow Data Studio to be able to browse the D: for use as a Backup Storage Location ?

I need this as Best Practice is to not put Database or Backups on C: as it could run the Operating System out of space.

Thanks, Jeff

Updated on 2013-05-24T20:41:32Z at 2013-05-24T20:41:32Z by jskohut
  • LukeNumrych
    LukeNumrych
    55 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Cannot browse to D: on Windows DB2 Server

‏2013-06-03T13:35:16Z  

If I am not mistaken, Data Studio uses an SSH session - even if your DB2 server is local - to do operating-system level stuff (like gathering directories and drives available to the system for example).  You can test that by disabling the IBM Secure Shell Server for Windows service (ibmsshd) and trying to do your backup then - if I am right, Data Studio will tell you that it cannot display the file system because it cannot talk to SSH.

And if I am right about the above, then WHAT drives and directories are visible to you is most likely governed by the configuration of ibmsshd, which seems to be based on OpenSSH.  OpenSSH is a *nix native program, and as such, doesn't treat the disk drive labels like C: or D: in the same manner (I don't believe the concept even exists in *nix); however, there should be a way to configure ibmsshd to let you access them somehow...  you may have to familiarize yourself with OpenSSH manuals to do that though.

• LukeNumrych
    LukeNumrych
    55 Posts

‏2013-06-03T13:35:16Z  

If I am not mistaken, Data Studio uses an SSH session - even if your DB2 server is local - to do operating-system level stuff (like gathering directories and drives available to the system for example).  You can test that by disabling the IBM Secure Shell Server for Windows service (ibmsshd) and trying to do your backup then - if I am right, Data Studio will tell you that it cannot display the file system because it cannot talk to SSH.

And if I am right about the above, then WHAT drives and directories are visible to you is most likely governed by the configuration of ibmsshd, which seems to be based on OpenSSH.  OpenSSH is a *nix native program, and as such, doesn't treat the disk drive labels like C: or D: in the same manner (I don't believe the concept even exists in *nix); however, there should be a way to configure ibmsshd to let you access them somehow...  you may have to familiarize yourself with OpenSSH manuals to do that though.

• jskohut
    jskohut
    2 Posts

‏2013-06-03T14:40:17Z  

Thank you for your reply. I suspected something of the sort. The IBM DB2 implementation is a "canned" install as part of a Product called IBM InfoSphere DataStage so it is likely that install will have to be configured. I looked and there is no "IBM Secure Shell Server for Windows service" Windows Service listed under Windows Services. I will have to look further to see if ibmssdh is a running process, and if so then look further into how that is implemented under Windows (I suspect you are correct and it is some sort of OpenSSH. If I can find it, then maybe I can modify that configuration to all OpenSSH to see and take advantage of the equivalent D: drive (I understand enough about Unix/Linux to know that it doesn't normally work with C: and D: drive letters, but the Data Studio is seeing the equivalent of the C: drive now (call it root).

Thank you for taking the time to point me in a basic direction !