Topic
  • 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-04T00:13:46Z by DonaldN
MrCalm
MrCalm
2 Posts

Pinned topic Which Backend Database do you use with ClearQuest(Oracle, DB2, SQL Server)?

‏2013-10-03T10:08:16Z |

Hi All,

I was wondering which Database vendor(Oracle, DB2, SQL Server MS_ACCESS) other people decided to use with ClearQuest and why?

Thanks

• pdubovitsky
    pdubovitsky
    376 Posts

Re: Which Backend Database do you use with ClearQuest(Oracle, DB2, SQL Server)?

‏2013-10-03T14:31:02Z  

Hi,

Most of the time, the database is chosen between SQL, Oracle, or DB2 based on what can be offered, or what is supported in your organization.

MS ACCESS is a good choice for a small proof-of-concept prototype, or for a development database. No database server is required, and no special access is required to backup or restore the database. 

MS SQL, probably, is the most popular choice. It is a stable database with good performance, and in small installations, it does not require significant administrative overhead.

Oracle, most likely, is the second choice, but IBM is falling behind in supporting Oracle High-Availability features. For instance, Oracle single client access name (SCAN) is not supported and is not going to be supported any time soon. Configuring Oracle for case-insensitive search is painful. If VBScript is your choice for the ClearQuest schema development, you should be aware of some Oracle-specific bugs in the ClearQuest VBScript API (query ordering, for instance).

DB2 support was added after Rational was bought by IBM. I have seen few installations in straight-DB2-shops, and I am using DB2 for testing too. Nothing special, but it looks like it is the least popular platform.

Pavel

• DonaldN
    DonaldN
    262 Posts

Re: Which Backend Database do you use with ClearQuest(Oracle, DB2, SQL Server)?

‏2013-10-04T00:13:46Z  

I know quite many deployments basically utilize existing database back end in the organization. So if you have Oracle already for other applications, you stick with Oracle.

If you consider purchasing new database, keep in mind that DB2 is bundled with ClearQuest with no extra cost.

Beware that if you are going to use UTF-8 (cp65001), then SQL Server is out of the race.

Personally, I would suggest you choose whatever the database that you are most familiar with and it will save you a lot of time and effort down the track.