Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-17T14:37:52Z by ScottSchmitz
ScottSchmitz
ScottSchmitz
3 Posts

Pinned topic General RCL agent/reporting questions

‏2013-10-04T14:31:24Z |

(1)  When installing the RCL 8.1.4 agent & running the configuration, it allows one to specify EITHER a RLKS OR a CLM system to collect from.

-  Is there a technote showing how to install 2 agents on the same system, one collecting from RLKS and one from CLM?   I wish to demonstrate both capabilities on one VM.    (And I have many customers who co-locate their lightweight RLKS on the CLM server)

(2)  Starting the agent (via startRCLAgent) displays a command window (Windows 2008 Server).     Can this be configured to run as a service so that it doesn't require an active login/desktop?

(3)  Similar for the Admin & Reporting Tool.   When running the server.startup.bat, a command window is displayed.   Is there a technote to install this as a service so it doesn't require an active login/desktop?

(4)  My example VM had RPE, RSA, and SA floating licenses installed, and these were accurately shown in the "Served Licenses" tab as being hosted by the RLKS.  However, when attempting to Create a Report Definition, selecting that same server does not show System Architect in the "Select Products" area.   Why not?

• @Sharma~Pankaj
    @Sharma~Pankaj
    12 Posts

Re: General RCL agent/reporting questions

‏2013-10-08T10:57:41Z  

Hello Scott,

Apologize for the delay.Thanks for posting your questions. Please find my answers below :-

(1)  When installing the RCL 8.1.4 agent & running the configuration, it allows one to specify EITHER a RLKS OR a CLM system to collect from.Is there a technote showing how to install 2 agents on the same system, one collecting from RLKS and one from CLM?   I wish to demonstrate both capabilities on one VM.    (And I have many customers who co-locate their lightweight RLKS on the CLM server)

- There is no technote available as of now but you can setup/install 2 agents on the same system( one collecting from RLKS and other from CLM ) in 2 different group. I have tested this on my end. Let me know if you face any problem.

(2)  Starting the agent (via startRCLAgent) displays a command window (Windows 2008 Server).     Can this be configured to run as a service so that it doesn't require an active login/desktop?

(3)  Similar for the Admin & Reporting Tool.   When running the server.startup.bat, a command window is displayed.   Is there a technote to install this as a service so it doesn't require an active login/desktop?

- On above questions( 2 & 3 ), I am currently checking with our SWAT/development and will reply you back anytime soon.

(4)  My example VM had RPE, RSA, and SA floating licenses installed, and these were accurately shown in the "Served Licenses" tab as being hosted by the RLKS.  However, when attempting to Create a Report Definition, selecting that same server does not show System Architect in the "Select Products" area.   Why not?

- I  will test this scenario & update you by EOD today.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks and Regards,Pankaj

Updated on 2013-10-08T10:59:39Z at 2013-10-08T10:59:39Z by @Sharma~Pankaj
  • ScottSchmitz
    ScottSchmitz
    3 Posts

‏2013-10-15T13:59:18Z  

Hello Scott,

Apologize for the delay.Thanks for posting your questions. Please find my answers below :-

(1)  When installing the RCL 8.1.4 agent & running the configuration, it allows one to specify EITHER a RLKS OR a CLM system to collect from.Is there a technote showing how to install 2 agents on the same system, one collecting from RLKS and one from CLM?   I wish to demonstrate both capabilities on one VM.    (And I have many customers who co-locate their lightweight RLKS on the CLM server)

- There is no technote available as of now but you can setup/install 2 agents on the same system( one collecting from RLKS and other from CLM ) in 2 different group. I have tested this on my end. Let me know if you face any problem.

- On above questions( 2 & 3 ), I am currently checking with our SWAT/development and will reply you back anytime soon.

- I  will test this scenario & update you by EOD today.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Is there a more appropriate venue to ask these questions so we can get answers to questions 2, 3, and 4 in a more timely way?    Thank you for your answer to question 1.

• @Sharma~Pankaj
    @Sharma~Pankaj
    12 Posts

‏2013-10-15T19:34:52Z  

Is there a more appropriate venue to ask these questions so we can get answers to questions 2, 3, and 4 in a more timely way?    Thank you for your answer to question 1.

Hello Scott,

Apologize for the delay

- In regards to 1st question, I would like to add a point here. I would recommend you to implement the suggestion provided in the below technote:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21648407

- In regards to question (2) & (3), unfortunately there is no technote available to install RLKS Agent and ART (Admin & Reporting Tool) as a service. You may just close the command prompt post starting up of the service.

- In regard to question 4, in my preliminary in-house testing, I have learnt that ART do not provide Reporting for System Architect licenses and this is for the same reason you do not see System Arhitect features listed while creating a Report definition. I am still waiting a final confirmation from development before giving you a confirmation on this.

Updated on 2013-10-15T19:36:46Z at 2013-10-15T19:36:46Z by @Sharma~Pankaj
  • ScottSchmitz
    ScottSchmitz
    3 Posts

‏2013-10-17T14:37:52Z  

Hello Scott,

Apologize for the delay

- In regards to 1st question, I would like to add a point here. I would recommend you to implement the suggestion provided in the below technote:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21648407

- In regards to question (2) & (3), unfortunately there is no technote available to install RLKS Agent and ART (Admin & Reporting Tool) as a service. You may just close the command prompt post starting up of the service.

- In regard to question 4, in my preliminary in-house testing, I have learnt that ART do not provide Reporting for System Architect licenses and this is for the same reason you do not see System Arhitect features listed while creating a Report definition. I am still waiting a final confirmation from development before giving you a confirmation on this.

Pankaj,

Thank you for the response.   The technote addressing (1) is very helpful and appears to be exactly what I was looking for.

Regarding (2) & (3), closing the command window kills the process, so another method must be found for this to be deployed in a production environment as every location I am involved at flags a locked console as a security violation.   

After doing some investigation, it appears that the ART, as it is based on the Jazz platform/Tomcat server, may be run as a service using methods described in this Infocenter topic:  http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m3/index.jsp?re=1&topic=/com.ibm.jazz.install.doc/topics/t_run_rqm64_win_service.html&scope=null

The RLKS Agent is based on the WAS Liberty profile and would require a different solution.  I hope to investigate the techniques listed in section 5.5 in the  Redbook:   http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpieces/abstracts/SG248170.html?Open  to see whether that will allow for unattended background execution without a console window.

I'll look forward to hearing what development has determined regarding (4).