• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-24T14:46:23Z by elainep
AbhilashJoseph
AbhilashJoseph
36 Posts

Pinned topic Stopping and Starting CDC

‏2013-01-22T23:39:12Z | idr-cdc
 Hi 

I have been trying to stop and start CDC subscription and CDC instance as a monthly scheduled activity via script. The issue I am facing is I am not able to restart subcription mirrong because the datastore needs to be connected from CDC management console => Configuration 
Is there a way to work around this? Another question is there a need to bring down and restart the service as scheduled activity for better health of the application ? 

Regards 
Abhilash 
  • elainep
    elainep
    22 Posts

Re: Stopping and Starting CDC

‏2013-01-23T22:13:31Z  

Hi,
    I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to restart the subscription because of connection to the Management Console.  You do not need to be connected to the MC in order to run replication.  You can start the instances and subscriptions via command line with no dependency on the MC.  The sample sections of this developerWorks site contains an example of how you can start and stop CDC.  
    As for regularly restarting the CDC service that would be a good idea to just 'clean' things up.  Configuration changes of some instance level system parameters also require restarting the instance.

Regards,
  • AbhilashJoseph
    AbhilashJoseph
    36 Posts

‏2013-01-23T22:52:54Z  
    • elainep
    • ‏2013-01-23T22:13:31Z

Hi,
    I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to restart the subscription because of connection to the Management Console.  You do not need to be connected to the MC in order to run replication.  You can start the instances and subscriptions via command line with no dependency on the MC.  The sample sections of this developerWorks site contains an example of how you can start and stop CDC.  
    As for regularly restarting the CDC service that would be a good idea to just 'clean' things up.  Configuration changes of some instance level system parameters also require restarting the instance.

Regards,
     Hi Elaine,

I had gone through the documentation and was trying to implement the same only 

First I issue
      Step1 endreplication  - Result is success 
       Step2 dmshutdown - Success
      Step3 dmts64 -Success 
    Step34 dmstartmirror  - No success as datastore will be in unconnected status and once I right click and connect datastore from CDC management console => Configuration it starts mirrorring

Hope I have made it clear 
  • elainep
    elainep
    22 Posts

‏2013-01-24T14:46:23Z  
     Hi Elaine,

I had gone through the documentation and was trying to implement the same only 

First I issue
      Step1 endreplication  - Result is success 
       Step2 dmshutdown - Success
      Step3 dmts64 -Success 
    Step34 dmstartmirror  - No success as datastore will be in unconnected status and once I right click and connect datastore from CDC management console => Configuration it starts mirrorring

Hope I have made it clear 
     Hi Abhilash,

There is a bit of a delay when you start the instance via dmts64.  When the instance is up and running  there is an event message that says the instance is up.  When you first issued dmstartmirror the instance was probably still initiating.  By the time you connected via MC it may already have been up.  I suspect it's a timing issue.  If you add a delay in between steps 3 and 4 you should be able to start mirroring.

Regards,
    Elaine