Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-07-18T21:06:30Z by llandale
llandale
llandale
239 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic DWA Issues

‏2013-07-09T14:03:37Z |

Anybody get DWA working well?  We are having to write our own start/stop scripts.  Also, DWA seems to leaving residual doors.exe laying around, perhaps when folks fail to logout of DWA correctly.  How to solve that?  How to kill these processes?

-Louie

• gsdguy
    gsdguy
    5 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: DWA Issues

‏2013-07-16T19:48:10Z  in response to llandale

Hello Louie,

We have 2 different instances of DWA running successfully at my company.  In both cases we have deemed DWA to be DOORS Lite. "might not come close to and "Lite beer" that can stimulate the taste buds of a true beer conisuer...

**********************************************************************************************

We are using standard task scheduler in a batch file format to start it all up when server is rebooted for any reason. Only way we could automate it when DWA was deployed and built a couple of years ago now.  Maybe they will make it an actual Service eventually, or maybe already have with newer DWA version?

As you already know, DWA runs on the same server as your associated DOORS database so it is always a "touchy situation" and concern creeps in when disrupting the happy server by starting and stopping all the DWA parts.

We have also done manual stops & restarts from time to time, but it is a painstaking operation and usually takes us a couple to few hours to get it all to settle out when it is discovered to be "mis-behaving"... eg. the DWA 1.4.0.1 has its own set of quirks with leaving phantom license checkouts when users bail out or red x out vs. graceful logouts of DWA browser. usually they get hung by DWA 1.4.0.1 inability to handle anything more than the Standard View in a DOORS module.  Much more and hung situations tend to rule the day.

DWA 1.4.0.4 also has several issues, eg. long slow login process can sometimes take up to 5 minutes post any back-ground activity by IT folks who push out the monthly MS Windows security patches and then reboot the server, since we also are relegated to the Task Scheduler using batch file to start all the DWA items, it sometimes gets clogged and we have to stop and restart DWA a few hours to a day after the monthly IT server patching.

DWA 1.4.0.4 also exhibits phantom DOORS license checkouts, long after the user may have logged out of DWA, but we had survived this particular issue when we used to have a few extra DOORS client licenses ready to live through the phantom checkouts.  DWA 1.4.0.4 also suffers some difficulty with OLE issues since we have large numbers of OLE objects previous embedded into DOORS modules by PC client users, however they cause display issues when encountered in DWA sessions.

DWA 1.4.0.4 running with a DOORS v9.3.0.5 server & DOORS v9.3.05 InterOp running on a Windows 2008 R2 Standard server.

The DWA is running in https mode via the festival.xml files etc.

We also have a DWA 1.4.0.1 (build 463) running with a DOORS v9.2.0.0 server & DOORS v9.3.0.1 InterOp running on a Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise server.

All in All... we have trimmed back our dependence on DWA during 2013, both of these worked pretty well for our first shot at it back in 2011-2012, but we have been so busy now with trying to get our client servers updated from DOORS v9.1 to DOORS v9.3 clients and soon will be moving toward DOORS v9.5 as we have discovered the need to go up to DOORS v9.5.0.1 client for its ability to run on Windows 7 64 bit and use up to 4 GiG of RAM on a PC.  This will be a big help for our present Power Users of DOORS who are pushing DOORS v9.3.0.5 clients beyond its 2 GiG RAM limit.

gsdguy...

• gsdguy
    gsdguy
    5 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-16T20:00:30Z  in response to llandale

Louie,

yes... there tends to be several left-overs in the server Windows task manager ->Processes Tab where cmd.exe are the several command windows created when starting the DWA parts, that have to be carefully cleared prior to restarting etc.  I will try to figure out a better way to explain this, but if you have gone through the process of starting a DWA system and then stopping it a few times, you will understand what I am saying here...

This is the where it gets a little worriesome when you remember you are on the DOORS database server and really don't want to shut down the DOORS service when many users may be connected working etc.

gsdguy... 

• gsdguy
    gsdguy
    5 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-16T20:05:59Z  in response to llandale

Louie,

btw... i have been so busy here at work, I had not realized how drastic the change was to the DOORS forum site.

I had a heck of time just figuring out how to post through the changes and various popups etc...

WOW... well, at any rate, sure hope to be able to continue to share and find things needed to help in support of DOORS.

I know it is an ever-changing world in which we all live, but just sayin...

gsdguy...

• llandale
      llandale
      239 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-07-18T21:06:30Z  in response to gsdguy

Thanks.  It is all Greek to me but I'll have our DOORS IT folks take a look at your posts.

-Louie