Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-10-03T10:52:42Z by StanHarris
StanHarris
StanHarris
8 Posts

Pinned topic Initialize SQL Server

‏2013-09-25T18:38:43Z |

I was asked to make a new instance of SQL Server and copy my databases to the new instance of SQL Server.  The instance of SQL Server is complete and the logins are re-created.  I can detach and re-attach encyclopedias from the old to the new instance (in the Professional mode).  Where I am stuck is getting the Catalog Manager working.  When trying to connect the Catalog Manager I keep getting an error of :

-Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL - Description: Valid Object name "master.dbo.spt_values"

This error also appears when I try to connect to the instance using SAEM.  I can connect with Microsoft SQL Manager but not SAEM.

Somewhere there must be some kind of initialization that was skipped in setting up the new instance of SQL Server.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

(I am not the dba that created the new instance, but obviously I have an interest in getting it working)

Thanks
Stan

• Jim Burke
    Jim Burke
    1 Post

Re: Initialize SQL Server

‏2013-09-27T14:57:55Z  

Hi Stan

Make sure you are connecting with a valid user. If you are connecting with a non-privileged user, you may not have access to the table. If you are connecting as sa, try to connect as an administrator via Windows Authentication (trusted connection), and vice-versa.

Thanks

Jim

• Larry Flores
    Larry Flores
    3 Posts

‏2013-09-27T18:17:31Z  

Hi Stan,

Jim is right.  As a workaround, use Microsoft SQL Management Studio to create a backup of the TelelogicEnterpriseCatalog database from the first instance of SQL Server.  You can then connect to the new instance and perform a Restore From File using that backup file.  This should create the "TelelogicEnterpriseCatalog" database on the new SQL Server instance. 

Thanks

Larry

• StanHarris
    StanHarris
    8 Posts

‏2013-10-03T10:52:42Z  

Thanks for the comments -

The problem was that the table was missing and had nothing to do with login.  I could go to TelelogicEnterpriseCatalog database and read and write as I desired.  I asked the DBA to create the table and he did.  I copied data from the old table to the new empty table and everything appears to be working now.  The problem was that when the instance was created that table was missing.

Thanks again for your suggestions - good to hear from you Larry.

Stan