Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-07-09T14:53:18Z by 40YK_venkat_prasad
9CRB_sabir_shaik
9CRB_sabir_shaik
6 Posts

Pinned topic drop down control list from currently using F4 lookup

‏2013-06-26T11:08:04Z |

please suggest the ways to create the drop down control list from currently using F4 lookup window in HATS

• tmparker
    tmparker
    518 Posts

Re: drop down control list from currently using F4 lookup

‏2013-06-27T20:29:57Z  

It really depends on what information is in the F4 lookup window.  Is the data static?  If so, that should be pretty simple to handle while developing the transformation.  If the data is dynamic then it depends on whether you have some way of accessing that information to retrieve it prior to displaying your page.  If you don't then there is not much that can be done.  You would need to find some way to extract the data to have available to populate the drop down list.  Without knowing your options there is not much we can suggest.

Thanks

Tim

• GerardoMG
    GerardoMG
    33 Posts

‏2013-06-28T13:32:34Z  

You could have two transformations for the screen depending on a global variable.

If the global variable contains the values you need. Then use that.
    If it doesn't, have the transformation prompt the right field and collect the data on the resulting screen. Either with a business function, or simply by having it press the right key and having another transformation recognize the next screen, collect the data, and exit.

Then, the variable will be populated. Use the global variable to populate the drop down.
    Remember to clear the global variable whenever the value is not valid any more. If it is on program exit, or maybe per session?

The easiest way would of course be if you could have the background application put out the values on the screen with non display. You will be able to collect them, and they will still not show. Saves a bit of time. It will depend on how much space you have on screen thought.

/G

Updated on 2013-06-28T13:35:01Z at 2013-06-28T13:35:01Z by GerardoMG
  • 9CRB_sabir_shaik
    9CRB_sabir_shaik
    6 Posts

‏2013-07-01T11:31:45Z  
    • GerardoMG
    • ‏2013-06-28T13:32:34Z

You could have two transformations for the screen depending on a global variable.

If the global variable contains the values you need. Then use that.
    If it doesn't, have the transformation prompt the right field and collect the data on the resulting screen. Either with a business function, or simply by having it press the right key and having another transformation recognize the next screen, collect the data, and exit.

Then, the variable will be populated. Use the global variable to populate the drop down.
    Remember to clear the global variable whenever the value is not valid any more. If it is on program exit, or maybe per session?

The easiest way would of course be if you could have the background application put out the values on the screen with non display. You will be able to collect them, and they will still not show. Saves a bit of time. It will depend on how much space you have on screen thought.

/G

Thanks for replying tmparker/GerardoMG,

I am new for hats, when i click F4 option on green screen it will open one popup in that one more option is there, Instead of the popup (Dialog) more option i want to scroll the options on the popup/Dialog. Please find the attached doc.

in the attached .jpeg left hand side fig. is green scree popup  like right side fig. required.

please suggest me, thanks in advance.

Thanks,

-Sabir 

Attachments

• GerardoMG
    GerardoMG
    33 Posts

‏2013-07-02T06:36:32Z  

Thanks for replying tmparker/GerardoMG,

I am new for hats, when i click F4 option on green screen it will open one popup in that one more option is there, Instead of the popup (Dialog) more option i want to scroll the options on the popup/Dialog. Please find the attached doc.

in the attached .jpeg left hand side fig. is green scree popup  like right side fig. required.

please suggest me, thanks in advance.

Thanks,

-Sabir 

Well. As I said. You may collect the values automatically. If the list is on several screens it is a bit more complicated but not much. If the position on the screen for the window varies, I would go for a business function rather than a transformation. I would not recommend having more than maybe ten values on a drop down thought. It just gets messy.

Regarding the more option. I wouldn't.
    Think of it like this: If you have HATS scroll the list to the bottom each time you are taking much more time than the user would by scrolling just as much as he needs. Why bother?
    Also; In order to be consistent you would need to do this on every subfile. And that is just not practical. Some of them are surely very long! A drop down of moderate length thought is, at least in my systems, a common component and would not promise the users something they cannot always get.
    The users are accustomed to the more button.

If you really insist, and just writing what occurs to me right now, you could probably cheat and make a false scroll bar by adding some more data than what fits on the screen and trigger the page down/page up on scroll events. Problem is; You never know if you are on the first page. You could guess by counting page ups and down. But it will depend on how consistently your background application behaves on page up. It will also be rather obvious as it will still jump a page at the time. You could probably do some AJAX stuff to load to load more data when the user scrolls past the available shown data. That would solve the page up problem. And give a smother scroll. If you do a nice animation while it is loading data it would be ok scrolling down too, I think. I really wouldn't do any of this. If you do, please post your code. I'd like to see it!

God luck!
    /G

Updated on 2013-07-10T07:26:22Z at 2013-07-10T07:26:22Z by GerardoMG
  • 9CRB_sabir_shaik
    9CRB_sabir_shaik
    6 Posts

‏2013-07-02T13:57:11Z  
    • GerardoMG
    • ‏2013-07-02T06:36:32Z

Well. As I said. You may collect the values automatically. If the list is on several screens it is a bit more complicated but not much. If the position on the screen for the window varies, I would go for a business function rather than a transformation. I would not recommend having more than maybe ten values on a drop down thought. It just gets messy.

Regarding the more option. I wouldn't.
    Think of it like this: If you have HATS scroll the list to the bottom each time you are taking much more time than the user would by scrolling just as much as he needs. Why bother?
    Also; In order to be consistent you would need to do this on every subfile. And that is just not practical. Some of them are surely very long! A drop down of moderate length thought is, at least in my systems, a common component and would not promise the users something they cannot always get.
    The users are accustomed to the more button.

If you really insist, and just writing what occurs to me right now, you could probably cheat and make a false scroll bar by adding some more data than what fits on the screen and trigger the page down/page up on scroll events. Problem is; You never know if you are on the first page. You could guess by counting page ups and down. But it will depend on how consistently your background application behaves on page up. It will also be rather obvious as it will still jump a page at the time. You could probably do some AJAX stuff to load to load more data when the user scrolls past the available shown data. That would solve the page up problem. And give a smother scroll. If you do a nice animation while it is loading data it would be ok scrolling down too, I think. I really wouldn't do any of this. If you do, please post your code. I'd like to see it!

God luck!
    /G

Thanks Gerardo for reply

As you specified i tried by writing a macro and capturing all the more options in a dropdown list  .But i can't be able to diplay everthing in a single scroll bar, if you /some body   have done this functionality before can u please share  me the code snippet . so that i can be able to check as a reference .

Thanks,

-Sabir

• GerardoMG
    GerardoMG
    33 Posts

‏2013-07-03T08:27:27Z  

Thanks Gerardo for reply

As you specified i tried by writing a macro and capturing all the more options in a dropdown list  .But i can't be able to diplay everthing in a single scroll bar, if you /some body   have done this functionality before can u please share  me the code snippet . so that i can be able to check as a reference .

Thanks,

-Sabir

You just have the macro scroll down and repeat itself if there is a more on screen. The captured data you then use in a drop dawn component with the "fill from global variable"-option.

If the list is long, this will be slow and the drop down hard to use for the users. Only do this with short lists. If you have to collect several pages, you should consider if it is really worth it!
    And you can really only use this data in ANOTER screen! You can not expect to interact with the collected data.

Also best to condition the data collection on the existence of the variable. So you do not collect identical data if it is already there.

I have no code to share. I do something similar in one case. The data is collected at startup and normally contains three or four values. Although I do have a provision for paging down for super users. Unfortunately I use my own components and it really is not much to it, just a transformation and a businessfunction that either finishes with a page down or a F3 depending on if it is done or not. It even to simple for a macro!

/G

• 40YK_venkat_prasad
    40YK_venkat_prasad
    1 Post

‏2013-07-09T14:53:18Z  
    • GerardoMG
    • ‏2013-07-03T08:27:27Z

You just have the macro scroll down and repeat itself if there is a more on screen. The captured data you then use in a drop dawn component with the "fill from global variable"-option.

If the list is long, this will be slow and the drop down hard to use for the users. Only do this with short lists. If you have to collect several pages, you should consider if it is really worth it!
    And you can really only use this data in ANOTER screen! You can not expect to interact with the collected data.

Also best to condition the data collection on the existence of the variable. So you do not collect identical data if it is already there.

I have no code to share. I do something similar in one case. The data is collected at startup and normally contains three or four values. Although I do have a provision for paging down for super users. Unfortunately I use my own components and it really is not much to it, just a transformation and a businessfunction that either finishes with a page down or a F3 depending on if it is done or not. It even to simple for a macro!

/G

Hi Sabir,

its possible with screen combination !

Thanks,

-Venkat