Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-09-05T18:26:00Z by jerberstark
ThinkOpenly
ThinkOpenly
41 Posts

Pinned topic Using Installation Toolkit after installation

‏2012-08-30T05:50:43Z |
Is there a way to easily make use of the features provided in the IBM Installation Toolkit after a system was installed without using the Toolkit?
Updated on 2012-09-05T18:26:00Z at 2012-09-05T18:26:00Z by jerberstark
  • jerberstark
    jerberstark
    31 Posts

Re: Using Installation Toolkit after installation

‏2012-08-30T15:08:04Z  
    Hi ThinkOpenly, yes there is. See "Updating an installed system using IBM Installation Toolkit"  in the Linux Information Center: http://ibm.co/N1wHZu
    Updated on 2012-08-30T15:08:04Z at 2012-08-30T15:08:04Z by jerberstark
  • ThinkOpenly
    ThinkOpenly
    41 Posts

‏2012-09-04T19:03:21Z  
    Hi ThinkOpenly, yes there is. See "Updating an installed system using IBM Installation Toolkit"  in the Linux Information Center: http://ibm.co/N1wHZu
    I wasn't aware of that.  That's good to know.

Instead of an "install" script, which is somewhat unusual, would it be possible to offer a means which might fit better into a typical environment, like perhaps set up the Installation Toolkit media as a yum repository, then one could just do something like "yum install ibm-power-toolkit"?
  • RodrigoCruz
    RodrigoCruz
    11 Posts

‏2012-09-05T17:14:34Z  
    I wasn't aware of that.  That's good to know.

Instead of an "install" script, which is somewhat unusual, would it be possible to offer a means which might fit better into a typical environment, like perhaps set up the Installation Toolkit media as a yum repository, then one could just do something like "yum install ibm-power-toolkit"?
    The install script does just what you described, but in an automated way.

If you wish to setup the Installation Toolkit media as a Yum repository, that's possible. Just mount the Installation Toolkit DVD somewhere and configure Yum to point to <mount point>/repos/<distro>/, where <distro> is 'rhel5', 'rhel6', 'sles10' or 'sles11', depending on your environment.

Keep in mind that Yum might also need access to a distro installation repository, in order to install dependencies required by Installation Toolkit.

Once you have setup everything, type:

$ yum install ibmit4linux 

and you are done. 

But again: what I have just described is what is done by the installation script. 

Thanks, 
    Rodrigo 

• ThinkOpenly
    ThinkOpenly
    41 Posts

‏2012-09-05T17:24:37Z  
    The install script does just what you described, but in an automated way.

If you wish to setup the Installation Toolkit media as a Yum repository, that's possible. Just mount the Installation Toolkit DVD somewhere and configure Yum to point to <mount point>/repos/<distro>/, where <distro> is 'rhel5', 'rhel6', 'sles10' or 'sles11', depending on your environment.

Keep in mind that Yum might also need access to a distro installation repository, in order to install dependencies required by Installation Toolkit.

Once you have setup everything, type:

$ yum install ibmit4linux 

and you are done. 

But again: what I have just described is what is done by the installation script. 

Thanks, 
    Rodrigo 

Nice. Please add this to the documentation, unless I missed it there somewhere.
  • jerberstark
    jerberstark
    31 Posts

‏2012-09-05T18:26:00Z  
    Nice. Please add this to the documentation, unless I missed it there somewhere.
     Will do, Paul. Thanks!