4 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-06-06T09:24:21Z by WolfgangUhr
RobLogie
RobLogie
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Monitoring a DOORS server

‏2013-10-10T03:47:32Z |

Hi

I would like to setup some uptime monitoring of a DOORS server using hyperic.  Does anyone have any good suggestions of how to monitor that a DOORS server is up and available ?

Thanks in advance

- Rob

• llandale
    llandale
    607 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Monitoring a DOORS server

‏2013-10-11T20:56:57Z  in response to RobLogie

I don't know, but you could try the DOS command "telnet" and specify the userserver and port.  I'm guessing it will tell you if the connection worked or not.

• Benjamin Chodroff
    Benjamin Chodroff
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-27T00:03:30Z  in response to RobLogie

Hi Rob -

We at oncloudone.com were facing the same problem -- we want to track the uptime of (hundreds) of DOORS databases. Telnet to port 36677 is a good option. Another option is to use the DOORS dbadmin command remotely to test a basic level response, such as "dbadmin -data 36677@hostname -u"

I decided to combine the two ideas together without the need to install dbadmin on all the vantage points we wished to test. This is not supported by IBM! However, we are happy to support your DOORS database at CloudOne ;)

Here is the groovy script which emulates the TCP socket connection to 36677 (similar to the dbadmin command) and looks for a response "S64" from the DOORS database. This is a notch above a simple telnet and doesn't require dbadmin to be installed. So far, smooth sailing and no complaints from the DOORS database.

try{
    HOST = hostProps.get("doors.ip");
    s = new Socket(HOST, 36677);
    s.withStreams { input, output ->
      output << "P0,0,0,Aa00,1,0,5\nS7,monitor\nS9,localhost\nI10\nI3\nS0,\n\n"
    reader = input.newReader();
    response = "";
    while ((buffer = reader.readLine()) != null) {
    println "server received: $buffer"
    response = response + buffer;
    }
    }

s.close();
    if (response =~ /S64/){
    println "Login successful";
    return 1;
    } else{
    println "Login unsuccessful";
    return 2;
    }
    }catch(e){
    println "Failed connection";
    return 0;
    }

Updated on 2014-04-27T00:20:59Z at 2014-04-27T00:20:59Z by Benjamin Chodroff
    • llandale
      llandale
      607 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-04-29T19:07:51Z  in response to Benjamin Chodroff

Not following the technical content here, but I will say that "dbadmin.exe" and the windows GUI version "dbsadmin.exe" don't need to be "installed", you just have to have the files; no doubt copied from the server.  Also, in our configuration dbadmin.exe cannot see the server.  Something to do with firewalls or other evil IT policies.

-Louie

• WolfgangUhr
    WolfgangUhr
    7 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-06-06T09:24:21Z  in response to RobLogie

Hello

Doors itself can create it's own logfile (Shut down the server and define a specific registry entry and start again - If you cannot find some information about it, I can ask, but the person who has done is not back in the next ca, 10 days, so it takes some time).

Every monday night, a small script scans this file for specific messages which are written to the file during the shut down and the initialisation processes. This generates a list of all up- and downtimes.

Best regards

Wolfgang

Updated on 2014-07-02T05:52:53Z at 2014-07-02T05:52:53Z by WolfgangUhr