Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-06-28T03:47:29Z by mgibson
mgibson
mgibson
17 Posts

Pinned topic Ad Hoc Querying with TM1 as an option...

‏2013-05-23T00:52:11Z |

Hi,

We have Cognos BI and TM1 and our Finance people would like to understand all available Ad Hoc querying options available to them.  I understand the Cognos BI world very well, but not TM1.  Does anyone have any advice regarding the relative pros and cons of using TM1 functionality for reporting compared to BI?

For example,. perspectives via Excel is something that appeals to finance people, but is it s better option than BIA or  Analysis Studio for example?

FYI - we have Cognos BI version 10.1.1 and Tm1 10.1

Any thoughts?

Regards

Mick

• MarcusDietrich
    MarcusDietrich
    5 Posts

Re: Ad Hoc Querying with TM1 as an option...

‏2013-06-28T03:17:33Z  

conducting ad-hoc analysis via TM1 Perspectives will possibly be more appealing to your Finance users as they can stay in the environment they are most familiar with - Microsoft Excel. Perspectives will give them the opportunity to query TM1 data and build individual report books in MS Excel. As long as users work in a LAN environment performance will be reasonably fast, Perspectives is not suitable for a WAN environment.

BI should become interesting if you would like to do things like alerting, scheduled reporting (report mailing in various formats) and real-time monitoring.

hope this helps

Marcus

• mgibson
    mgibson
    17 Posts

‏2013-06-28T03:22:32Z  

conducting ad-hoc analysis via TM1 Perspectives will possibly be more appealing to your Finance users as they can stay in the environment they are most familiar with - Microsoft Excel. Perspectives will give them the opportunity to query TM1 data and build individual report books in MS Excel. As long as users work in a LAN environment performance will be reasonably fast, Perspectives is not suitable for a WAN environment.

BI should become interesting if you would like to do things like alerting, scheduled reporting (report mailing in various formats) and real-time monitoring.

hope this helps

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the reply.  Since originally posting this question our Finance folk have expressed their preference more strongly, and we will follow that path, at lest as an initial PoC.

I'm becoming more comfortable with this idea as I understand TM1 better - but there are still some slightly clunky aspects to Perspectives I don't think are ideal.  But the same is true for Cognos BI to some extent, so we'll just have to get used to them.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Regards

Mick

• MarcusDietrich
    MarcusDietrich
    5 Posts

‏2013-06-28T03:26:09Z  
    • mgibson
    • ‏2013-06-28T03:22:32Z

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the reply.  Since originally posting this question our Finance folk have expressed their preference more strongly, and we will follow that path, at lest as an initial PoC.

I'm becoming more comfortable with this idea as I understand TM1 better - but there are still some slightly clunky aspects to Perspectives I don't think are ideal.  But the same is true for Cognos BI to some extent, so we'll just have to get used to them.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Regards

Mick

thanks Mick! Look out for the new version of TM1 Perspectives that comes with TM1 10.2 later this year, there will be a lot changes and it will become a lot more user friendly :)

cheers

Marcus

• mgibson
    mgibson
    17 Posts

‏2013-06-28T03:47:29Z  

thanks Mick! Look out for the new version of TM1 Perspectives that comes with TM1 10.2 later this year, there will be a lot changes and it will become a lot more user friendly :)

cheers

Marcus

even better - great to hear!  I suppose it makes sense.