Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-02-03T19:36:56Z by carlos-cesar
sbunting
sbunting
1 Post

Pinned topic Why isn't Tivoli Integrated Portal packaged with APM

‏2013-11-21T19:44:55Z |

A customer trying to participate in the BETA has stated:  "As a side note, it is insane to require a product that is not needed to be installed to get one that is.  TIP should be a stand-alone installation, or TIP should be included with APM UI.  I understand this is still beta so hopefully for future releases it will be included.  I hope!!" 

Why isn't TIP packaged with APM?

• Moore
    Moore
    6 Posts

Re: Why isn't Tivoli Integrated Portal packaged with APM

‏2013-11-26T06:56:06Z  

Why customers need TIP? APM v7.7 does not dependes on TIP, instead, it moved to Blaze/Liberty, hence the dependency to TIP has been removed. So customers can just install the APM UI on a cleaning system, no prerequisite is required.

• jared.seaton
    jared.seaton
    4 Posts

‏2014-01-22T17:06:25Z  
    • Moore
    • ‏2013-11-26T06:56:06Z

Why customers need TIP? APM v7.7 does not dependes on TIP, instead, it moved to Blaze/Liberty, hence the dependency to TIP has been removed. So customers can just install the APM UI on a cleaning system, no prerequisite is required.

It's really a bad design to make it completely separate.  And why use a Liberty profile?  All ldap and role assignment is done by editing multiple xml files.  Horrible design.  This seems like it was built with the assumption that customers are just buying SCAPM and don't already have an existing TIVOLI deployment, with TIP, etc.  Try explaining to management why there is yet ANOTHER dashboard/portal.  So to fully consume monitoring information, I have Jazz/DASH/TCR, maybe a TIP with TCR 2.x for older reports, the TEP, and now APMUI.  And that is JUST for Tivoli Monitoring.  So which do I use and when?  I won't even get into the other products; ITNM, TBSM. 

It's really a shame, because APM 7.7 works well.  I will not use it until it's brought into Jazz/DASH.

</endRant>

• Abda
    Abda
    2 Posts

‏2014-01-30T10:37:00Z  

I know this is not part of the topic but I am in need of an ICMS business Analyst and or developer. Application is in an older version of AS400 server. Don't know where to look so any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

• carlos-cesar
    carlos-cesar
    1 Post

‏2014-02-03T19:36:56Z  

It's really a bad design to make it completely separate.  And why use a Liberty profile?  All ldap and role assignment is done by editing multiple xml files.  Horrible design.  This seems like it was built with the assumption that customers are just buying SCAPM and don't already have an existing TIVOLI deployment, with TIP, etc.  Try explaining to management why there is yet ANOTHER dashboard/portal.  So to fully consume monitoring information, I have Jazz/DASH/TCR, maybe a TIP with TCR 2.x for older reports, the TEP, and now APMUI.  And that is JUST for Tivoli Monitoring.  So which do I use and when?  I won't even get into the other products; ITNM, TBSM. 

It's really a shame, because APM 7.7 works well.  I will not use it until it's brought into Jazz/DASH.

</endRant>

Thanks for your participation in the beta, and for your feedback. I'd like to explain why we have the APM UI capable to be installed separated from JazzSM/DASH.  Our strategy and direction with the APM UI is to:

- Deliver a single, consistent and intuitive user experience for the monitoring portfolio, tailored for each type of user and device.
    - Enable fast and continuous delivery and consumption of UI contents
    - Provide fast time to value and low total cost of ownership
    - Allow it to be part of a broader solution console

We continue to work towards the key points above and the changes in APM UI 7.7 are important steps to deliver them. While APM 7.7 installs separated from JazzSM/DASH (new version of TIP) it can be federated into JazzSM/DASH as part of a single solution console. JazzSM/DASH is included in the SCPM 7.7 package.  Having said that, we recognize the need to enable the option of installing the APM UI in an existing JazzSM/DASH server. We recognize the inconvenience of xml configuration with the liberty profile. We also understand the request to have JazzSM/DASH available as an optional component in all monitoring offerings (as I said it is already included in SCAPM 7.7).

We plan to address these requirements as part of our roadmap, and would be happy to discuss them with you further if you'd like.  Thanks.