Topic
  • 9 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-12-27T07:38:39Z by mtroitzsch
DevAmbasna
DevAmbasna
2 Posts

Pinned topic Welcome to the OMNIbus.Next Early Access Program!

‏2013-06-11T19:09:17Z | access beta early omnibus.next program
The aim of the EAP is to get early feedback on the output of each of the release themes. So as we progress with development we'll be periodically sharing what we have with EAP participants to gain feedback that can be incorporated before we reach the open beta stage. 

The nature of the interaction will vary depending on the development theme in question. For some themes we'll be sharing design docs and asking for feedback (i.e. are we missing any key user stories/capabilities you'd expect in this area of the product?), others we'll demo working code, and ultimately share early drops of code for EAP participants to try in their own lab environment. EAP participants are not expected to invest time in all the themes, but you are welcome to contribute to those that are of interest to you.

To put some flesh on this framework, the first theme we'll be sharing via EAP is the new installer. Initially, we'll be sharing the approach we are taking with the new installer and looking for feedback on any gaps you see in the approach. Ultimately, the aim being to share early drops of code for customers to try on their own, looking for feedback on areas such as:

1. The mode of installation - pulling the install image from PPA vs setting up a local install image repository vs a tarball that contains the full image
2. The install time options - the new installer gives more flexibility in terms of the install options we can expose. What would customers like to see added?  
3. Performance of the installer vs their experience with COI/DE base installs
4. Post install configuration - what post install activities would you want us to develop tooling around?

This is a new Open Transparent Development approach for the Netcool/OMNIbus development teams, using Agile methodologies and we hope that we can share our release content and development phases openly with all our valued clients.  For an over view of the EAP Themes, please visit https://ibm.biz/BdxLGs

We look forward to your active participation on this discussion forum!

-- The Netcool/OMNIbus Development Team --

• jklsdfhgafd
    jklsdfhgafd
    1 Post

Re: Welcome to the OMNIbus.Next Early Access Program!

‏2013-07-09T09:55:16Z  

I look forward to working with you on this ..

I am particularly interested in the supported integration with DASH, and how this will sit with the ITM V6.3 integration.

• DevAmbasna
    DevAmbasna
    2 Posts

‏2013-07-11T19:44:19Z  

I look forward to working with you on this ..

I am particularly interested in the supported integration with DASH, and how this will sit with the ITM V6.3 integration.

Great to have you on board the EAP/Design phase.  If you have an particular questions on DASH or the integration with ITM v6.3, do please post them here on a new thread and we'll ensure they get responded to.  

Updated on 2013-07-11T19:45:11Z at 2013-07-11T19:45:11Z by DevAmbasna
  • RobertBarron
    RobertBarron
    4 Posts

‏2013-07-15T10:26:35Z  

Hi,

A few thoughts:

Downloading the installer:

I would like to be able to download the Omnibus installation and the various gateways, probes, ITM self-monitoring agent, TCR reports together easily, without having to lookup different packages.

Post-Installation:

There should be NO post-installation stages at all. Once the installer has finished running, I want to have a running Omnibus environment. This means that the installer should (for example):

* Install the Process Agent and register all the other components.

* Run nco_dbinit and create a running ObjectServer (use utf8enabled in windows and set environment variables in linux/unix)

* Configure the JBDC_Gateway to connect to a datawarehouse (including running the necessary scripts and modifying config files)

This will require the installer to gather information before running these last steps, but it will save A LOT of work afterwards.

When installing probes, such as the EIF probe, the installer should automatically uncomment the necessary include files.

Robert

Updated on 2013-07-15T10:26:48Z at 2013-07-15T10:26:48Z by RobertBarron
  • EdSchernau
    EdSchernau
    1 Post

‏2013-09-11T13:51:24Z  

Hi,

A few thoughts:

Downloading the installer:

I would like to be able to download the Omnibus installation and the various gateways, probes, ITM self-monitoring agent, TCR reports together easily, without having to lookup different packages.

Post-Installation:

There should be NO post-installation stages at all. Once the installer has finished running, I want to have a running Omnibus environment. This means that the installer should (for example):

* Install the Process Agent and register all the other components.

* Run nco_dbinit and create a running ObjectServer (use utf8enabled in windows and set environment variables in linux/unix)

* Configure the JBDC_Gateway to connect to a datawarehouse (including running the necessary scripts and modifying config files)

This will require the installer to gather information before running these last steps, but it will save A LOT of work afterwards.

When installing probes, such as the EIF probe, the installer should automatically uncomment the necessary include files.

Robert

Don't dumb it down too much, and don't script it too much based on assumptions.   The world is full of software where you click Install, Next, Next, Next, OK, and then you have a running application...that people don't understand how it works because it required no thought.   Cooking up an Omnibus install is an hour proposition at most, assuming that COI/DE doesn't flame out on you.

1. Get ownership of directory/filesystem where you're installing
    2. Install via a sane method like tarball or self-extracting tar/shar, or RPM
    3. interfaces/nco_igen
    4. run nco_dbinit
    5. Configure PA
    6. Get SA to configure startup scripts
    7. Start object server
    8. Enjoy cold beverage

I think trying to script out all the other stuff like TDW is asking for trouble - in a lot of enviroments you wont have the access needed to create tables for instance.   Or the DB might not exist at install time.  Or something.   People aren't going to have root - but sometimes they might.   Trying to wrap all the possibilties into an installer is just going to bloat it out, and probably break somewhere.

• RobertBarron
    RobertBarron
    4 Posts

‏2013-09-11T23:25:22Z  

Don't dumb it down too much, and don't script it too much based on assumptions.   The world is full of software where you click Install, Next, Next, Next, OK, and then you have a running application...that people don't understand how it works because it required no thought.   Cooking up an Omnibus install is an hour proposition at most, assuming that COI/DE doesn't flame out on you.

1. Get ownership of directory/filesystem where you're installing
    2. Install via a sane method like tarball or self-extracting tar/shar, or RPM
    3. interfaces/nco_igen
    4. run nco_dbinit
    5. Configure PA
    6. Get SA to configure startup scripts
    7. Start object server
    8. Enjoy cold beverage

I think trying to script out all the other stuff like TDW is asking for trouble - in a lot of enviroments you wont have the access needed to create tables for instance.   Or the DB might not exist at install time.  Or something.   People aren't going to have root - but sometimes they might.   Trying to wrap all the possibilties into an installer is just going to bloat it out, and probably break somewhere.

A conversation at last :)

An hour for the people on this forum, maybe.

Have you ever handed Omnibus media to someone for the first time? The learning curve is HUGE.

Why should things be more difficult than they need to be? Having to read a lot of documentation, just to install a PoC on a small VM to experiment is a big turn off for people.

What you call "dumbing down", I call "making more accessible".

• mtroitzsch
    mtroitzsch
    5 Posts

‏2013-11-06T07:48:18Z  

Hi,

maybe I missed something here - but apart from Jeff's topic on Usability testing I can't a lot of thing that have happened around Omnibus.next.

Can somebody please comment on the current status and timleine of the EAP ?

Thanks, Michael

• DonW
    DonW
    1 Post

‏2013-12-13T16:04:06Z  

Hi,

maybe I missed something here - but apart from Jeff's topic on Usability testing I can't a lot of thing that have happened around Omnibus.next.

Thanks, Michael

Hi Michael

Thanks for asking the question.

The focus of the past few weeks has been in preparation for the beta program starting early in the New Year so there has not been much time for evaluation of new ideas and requests.

EAP is intended to be a rolling program that will vary in frequency of activity.  As topics move past EAP evaluation and design and are confirmed into plan then they move towards beta.

A new topic for a "watchlist" tool linked to an RFE has just started up here, and more will follow as we look beyond the proposed beta content and towards next releases.

Regards

Don W

• renatebahnemann
    renatebahnemann
    3 Posts

‏2013-12-24T18:11:50Z  

Hi,

Thanks, Michael

Hi Michael

There is another 'restricted' EAP community for OMnibus.Next that contains instructions on where to find the beta software and features that are already available.

Here is a link to it:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/groups/service/html/communityview?communityUuid=3cd3bcd8-8961-4957-aff3-2ac8802b4a7c

That site is administered by Deven Ambasna, who is also the owner of this one.

I am uncertain about posting his email address here, but am hoping that he'll spot this entry and invite you to join the 'restricted' Early Access Programme.

Hope this helps.

Renate

• mtroitzsch
    mtroitzsch
    5 Posts

‏2013-12-27T07:38:39Z  

Hi Michael

There is another 'restricted' EAP community for OMnibus.Next that contains instructions on where to find the beta software and features that are already available.

Here is a link to it:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/groups/service/html/communityview?communityUuid=3cd3bcd8-8961-4957-aff3-2ac8802b4a7c

That site is administered by Deven Ambasna, who is also the owner of this one.

I am uncertain about posting his email address here, but am hoping that he'll spot this entry and invite you to join the 'restricted' Early Access Programme.

Hope this helps.

Renate

Hi Renate,

thanks for the hint. I'll send Deven an email directly and ask for access.

Many thanks and Viele Grüße,

Michael