• Latest Post - ‏2014-09-08T17:51:03Z by dmelby
dmelby
dmelby
131 Posts

Pinned topic Text area not wrapping text on Internet Explorer 11

‏2014-08-16T02:30:38Z |

Web Experience: 8.0.0.3

Portal 8

I'm using a Data Field Modifier builder to change a text field into a TextArea and I have set the wrap attribute to be both virtual and physical. In both cases, the text area boxes work fine when I'm testing on WAS CE using IE 11. When I deploy the portlet to the Portal 8 server it doesn't work using IE 11, but works just fine with Chrome and Firefox. What happens is that first line just continues indefinitely - no wrap.

• mburati
    mburati
    2579 Posts

Re: Text area not wrapping text on Internet Explorer 11

‏2014-08-16T15:22:28Z  

I'm not sure what would cause that, but a couple things that are potentially different between when you run it standalone and when it's run as a portlet in a portal page are (a) the DTD on the page itself (your portal page may be setting a different DTD than when you run it standalone) and (b) Portal page CSS.

Are you sure it's a TextArea and not a Dojo Rich Text field?    Try setting it with DFS instead of DFM, to see if there's a difference.   If a Dojo Rich Text field then there may be additional Dojo CSS styles and dojo rich text editor attributes affecting it, not just typical text area attributes.

Try using the IE11 Dev Tools to see what the difference is (html, styles etc) on that input field between standalone and when running as a portlet.

I hope that info helps,
    ..Mike Burati 
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.
  • dmelby
    dmelby
    131 Posts

‏2014-08-18T18:31:32Z  

Since I'm using the DFM, how do I know if it's Dojo Rich text or not?

The DFM allows me to set size of the text area using rows and column attributes, is this possible with the DFS? I can see where I can change it to a text area, but not where I can set the dimensions.

• dmelby
    dmelby
    131 Posts

‏2014-08-18T19:58:11Z  
    • dmelby
    • ‏2014-08-18T18:31:32Z

Since I'm using the DFM, how do I know if it's Dojo Rich text or not?

The DFM allows me to set size of the text area using rows and column attributes, is this possible with the DFS? I can see where I can change it to a text area, but not where I can set the dimensions.

We just did some testing and confirmed that this problem is related to the custom theme that we have created for Portal 8. When we set the theme to the default IBM Portal 8 theme, then the text area works fine with IE 11. When it's set to our custom theme, then it has issues with IE 11. In all cases, Chrome and Firefox have no issues. I tried the text area with IE 8 and IE 10 and it works fine.

• dmelby
    dmelby
    131 Posts

‏2014-09-08T15:15:19Z  

According to the following links:

http://vcfvct.wordpress.com/2014/05/21/ie11-textarea-wrap-white-space/

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20149715/internet-explorer-11-word-wrap-is-not-working

the word wrap issue can be solved by applying white-space: pre-wrap to the text areas. Is there a way that I can try this with Web Experience to see if it fixes the issue?

• mburati
    mburati
    2579 Posts

‏2014-09-08T15:27:09Z  
    • dmelby
    • ‏2014-09-08T15:15:19Z

According to the following links:

http://vcfvct.wordpress.com/2014/05/21/ie11-textarea-wrap-white-space/

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20149715/internet-explorer-11-word-wrap-is-not-working

the word wrap issue can be solved by applying white-space: pre-wrap to the text areas. Is there a way that I can try this with Web Experience to see if it fixes the issue?

I don't personally have IE11 to try that on but sure, you can add/override styles either by updating a custom stylesheet if you're using one with a custom WEF theme or via Style Sheet Builder call if you are not,  and for a quick test HTML also supports inline style elements so you could just add one in your HTML for a quick test if you have custom HTML.

I hope that info helps,
    ..Mike Burati 
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.
  • dmelby
    dmelby
    131 Posts

‏2014-09-08T17:51:03Z  
    • mburati
    • ‏2014-09-08T15:27:09Z

I don't personally have IE11 to try that on but sure, you can add/override styles either by updating a custom stylesheet if you're using one with a custom WEF theme or via Style Sheet Builder call if you are not,  and for a quick test HTML also supports inline style elements so you could just add one in your HTML for a quick test if you have custom HTML.

I hope that info helps,
    ..Mike Burati 

I used the Style Sheet builder and the test was successful!