Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-06-13T23:02:08Z by ledezma@us.ibm.com
5B4A_Tech_Support
5B4A_Tech_Support
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic DS 3.2 no db2cmd so how to run GSDB setup

‏2013-06-12T20:09:55Z |

installed Data Studio 3.2 and Data Server Drivers 10.1 package (for excel stuff).  Do not have LUW or Data Server Client or Runtime.  Connecting to z/OS DB2, which is where I'd like to install the samples. 

So in my ignorance, do I need Data Server Driver Runtime to make this work?  

That is, in going thru the GSDB sample/tutorials stuff, it needs "db2cmd" to be able to establish connection with z/OS DB2 and create said stuff.   The Data Studio docs don't suggest a path to installation nirvana.

Thank you kindly.

• ledezma@us.ibm.com
    ledezma@us.ibm.com
    23 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: DS 3.2 no db2cmd so how to run GSDB setup

‏2013-06-12T23:53:02Z  in response to 5B4A_Tech_Support
    Hi,

While you can create connections to DB2 z/OS in Data Studio, it is my understanding that the GSDB scripts are meant to run from a command line environment, eg. as a Windows batch file.

Additionally, the scripts require that the DB2 z/OS database be cataloged on the local client catalog.  At a minimum, this requires the IBM Data Server Runtime Client.

Thanks,

-Sal.
  • 5B4A_Tech_Support
    5B4A_Tech_Support
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-13T15:55:03Z  in response to 5B4A_Tech_Support

Thanks Sal. 

To summarize: to get Data Studio 3.2 and DB2 for z/OS playing together (per DS Samples examples), I need to install on my Windoze 7 64bit OS

• DB2 Data Server Driver Package (32bit) - the fundamental requirement to support MS Office which is 32bit
    • DB2 Data Server Driver Runtime Client (32bit) - but in a different path (just to install the Samples?)
    • Cygwin
    • OpenSSH
    • Data Studio 3.2 (32bit)
    • (already have a 10.1 license installed on z/OS DB2)

Wow.  I'd suggest the Infocenter "Installing" needs some serious refactor/dedupe efforts.  Same for Data Server Drivers.  And a picture or two. 

Bottomline, I gather the GSDB samples and DS tutorials are not useable for DS 3.2 and this was a bad idea to try.   Oh well.  Can't say I didn't try.

Appreciate the response.

Cheers,

john

• ledezma@us.ibm.com
      ledezma@us.ibm.com
      23 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-13T17:58:07Z  in response to 5B4A_Tech_Support

Hi John,

I wanted to clarify that using Data Studio to connect to DB2 z/OS databases does not require the runtime client, Cygwin, or OpenSSH.

If you have already have a database on DB2 z/OS that you would like to work with, Data Studio has a "New Connection Wizard" that sets up a JDBC connection directly.  There is no need to catalog the database locally.

The only reason that GSDB setup needs an IBM Data Server Runtime Client is because the setup scripts require that the DB2 z/OS database be cataloged in the local database directory in order to run the DDL.

Thanks,

-Sal.

• 5B4A_Tech_Support
        5B4A_Tech_Support
        3 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-13T21:54:13Z  in response to ledezma@us.ibm.com

Thanks Sal.

That is not clear from the documentation at all.  In deed, it says just the opposite.  While I can connect and do a bunch of things, all the documentation bunny trails seem to run down to installing SSH "To run commands and utilities that cannot be run through the JDBC driver..."  There is no indication as to what those commands and utilities would be, leaving me to think I should throw SSH in during the install process rather than waiting for a clunking noise when I run into one of them.

So if you are saying, don't bother (unless you hear clunking noises), that would be great. 

It is also not clear what I can get out of the rest of the tools so I know I have more slogging thru Infocenter to do.

Thanks again.

• ledezma@us.ibm.com
          ledezma@us.ibm.com
          23 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-13T23:02:08Z  in response to 5B4A_Tech_Support
          You are good to go, meaning you can use Data Studio to connect, view, and work with DB2 LUW, DB2 z/OS, as well, as a number of other databases from additional vendors.

Currently Data Studio is not able to run commands or utilities against DB2 z/OS.  Data Studio will only issue SQL via JDBC, including DDL and DML.

However, Data Studio does provide functionality for administering DB2 LUW databases.  This is where commands and utilities, such as backup, restore, export, load, etc. come into play.  

As a client, you do not need any additional software, unless you need to administer a remote DB2 LUW database that is pre-v10.1 and is on Windows.  For this case, you do need a Data Server Client, mainly because you need to use the DB2 Administration Server (DAS) to communicate with the database.

If the database is on Linux or Unix or 10.1 or later, it will use SSH to communicate and you don't need anything else because Data Studio is already pre-configured with an SSH client.

Thanks,

-Sal.