Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-06-04T19:56:06Z by lisaw
joshuawhite929
joshuawhite929
52 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Possible to install WXS on a Mac for development?

‏2013-05-16T01:18:40Z |

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to run WXS on OSX for development?  As more and more Java developers use Macs for development, I am curious why OSX is not a "supported" platform.

-Joshua

• lisaw
    lisaw
    101 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Possible to install WXS on a Mac for development?

‏2013-05-16T14:19:59Z  in response to joshuawhite929

Absolutely, in fact we have many developers using OS X.  IBM does not provide an OS X Java, so you will have to use Apple's Java for Mac OS X to get it running.

• joshuawhite929
      joshuawhite929
      52 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-16T15:40:37Z  in response to lisaw

Just to be clear, there is no installer for OS X, right?  If that is the case, are you simply copying over the jar's from another installation and running them on your Mac?

• lisaw
        lisaw
        101 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-21T14:25:57Z  in response to joshuawhite929

Here's a way to get eXtreme Scale up and running on a Mac.

Grab the trial zip located here. You can either use standalone or for Liberty.

Unzip the files from the trial download.

Make sure your JAVA_HOME is pointing to java.

Make sure your are pointing to using the endorsed lib directory (I think in JAVA_HOME/lib/endorsed)

Please note, OS X is not officially supported at this time, so there is no installer, not out of the box working, no bug support.  You may encounter issues when turning on security for instance, and it will not be fixed. You may also have to start grabbing orb jars and replacing them in your java lib.  However, this has worked with our team in the past to get up and running, so it is possible to run.

• joshuawhite929
          joshuawhite929
          52 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-03T14:50:16Z  in response to lisaw

Lisa,

When I try to download version 8.6 standalone, I get a 404 page.  Is there a different area I should be downloading the trial from?

Thanks,

Joshua

• lisaw
            lisaw
            101 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-04T19:56:06Z  in response to joshuawhite929

The server must have been down just momentarily because I went to the trial download page and was able to get the zip. 

If you wish to continue to use it passed the limited amount of time the trial allows you, you'd have to replace the trial jars with jars installed with the full product anyway.

So, your other option is if you have the full product install, go ahead and install "standalone" on a Linux machine, zip up the installed directory, and move it to your Mac.  I suggested the trial download because I thought if would have been the easiest. :)