• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-11-11T16:57:40Z by francesco.latino
Michael_Knauth
Michael_Knauth
10 Posts

Pinned topic Targeting baselines at a recently reimaged device

‏2013-11-07T13:41:14Z |

Hi all,

Has anyone implemented an efficient way of targetting baselines at devices that have been recently reimaged?

I had a client setting defined in the donor image that signified that a machine was a fresh deployment, but this only applies if the device has been deployed by the bare metal server. If a device is "reimaged" through IEM actions, it retains all of it's client settings throughout the process, ignoring any settings that have been defined within the image; In other words, if a device is "reimaged" through IEM actions, it doesn't appear to be a completely fresh image.

It would be nice to target a baseline at devices that have been newly deployed for two reasons:

1. It may be necessary for a post-imaging baseline to be processed before any other baselines or actions - e.g. applying IEM client/relay settings;
  2. It may be necessary for components in a post-imaging baseline to only apply to newly deployed devices, regardless of whether the baseline/components may be relevant to any other device.

Thanks,
Michael.

• martinc
    martinc
    5 Posts

Re: Targeting baselines at a recently reimaged device

‏2013-11-07T14:40:49Z  

Did you try using the "Miscellaneous Options > Client Settings" when you deploy the image?

I have used that method and I have also used a different flag such as a file/folder that is in the image, but gets deleted as part of a post config step. 

One thing I also do is use that flag as a filter for various sites and actions. For example, I might not want to have all the patch baseline/baseline actions go before the applications, so I use the flag in the relevance to exclude it from that content. I have also used the flag in various sites (Patches for Windows, Power Management, etc) so that I make sure that the time is spent on getting the applications down and then do the other "stuff".

I have been considering this as a presentation at Pulse :)

• francesco.latino
    francesco.latino
    54 Posts

‏2013-11-07T14:52:17Z  

Hi Michael,

in the Reimage Template -> Miscellaneous Options there might be something for this.

In the OSd' user guide http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v26r1/topic/com.ibm.tem.doc_9.0/OSD_Users_Guide.pdf (around page 36)

there is also a sample about it

Thanks

Francesco

• Michael_Knauth
    Michael_Knauth
    10 Posts

‏2013-11-07T23:38:44Z  

Hi Michael,

in the Reimage Template -> Miscellaneous Options there might be something for this.

In the OSd' user guide http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v26r1/topic/com.ibm.tem.doc_9.0/OSD_Users_Guide.pdf (around page 36)

there is also a sample about it

Thanks

Francesco

The Miscellaneous Options may be an option here.

Do you guys know how the string might need to be formatted? The InfoCenter/PDF just states that you can use the options to achieve the sort of outcome that I'm attempting, not how to use or set them.

Is it a BES action? A single value? A parameter/value pair?

Michael.

• francesco.latino
    francesco.latino
    54 Posts

‏2013-11-11T16:57:40Z  

The Miscellaneous Options may be an option here.

Do you guys know how the string might need to be formatted? The InfoCenter/PDF just states that you can use the options to achieve the sort of outcome that I'm attempting, not how to use or set them.

Is it a BES action? A single value? A parameter/value pair?

Michael.

Hi Michael,

I just tried Reimaging by setting parameter in the REimage Wizard

system tag ="xx123456789"

After the reimage completed, I saw a reg entry (sysWow6432Node) BigFix\EnterpriseClient\ImageInfo\SystemTag with that value on my target.

So you can create an action using that reg key as relevance (to apply your action only to those flagged targets) and unset that key as first step of your action to prevent it being executed twice.

Thanks
    Francesco