1 reply Latest Post - ‏2013-06-12T13:26:00Z by gcorneau
Rita_Ceresi
Rita_Ceresi
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Client Server Compatibility

‏2013-06-12T10:33:38Z |

Hi,

mu customer has a large GPFS installation, with some Server Nodes and more than 200 Client nodes.

The actual release is 3.3 for the whole environment.

From the FAQ I read that it seems not possible to migrate to Server 3.5 for Server Nodes and maintain the client to 3.3 Version.

All GPFS V3.5 maintenance levels can coexist with each other and with GPFS V3.4 Maintenance Levels, unless otherwise stated in this FAQ.

But it seems also that migrate to server 3.4 and maintain the client to 3.3 could be a possibility

"All GPFS V3.4 maintenance levels can coexist with each other and with GPFS V3.3 Maintenance Levels, unless otherwise stated in this FAQ."

Do I understand correctly the compatibility matrix? So to migrate the whole environment, I'd need to do it in two steps, before the server to 3.4, then the client to 4.4 and at the end server to 3.5..??

Thank you for your help

Rita

• gcorneau
    gcorneau
    141 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Client Server Compatibility

‏2013-06-12T13:26:00Z  in response to Rita_Ceresi

You have the right of it.  GPFS supports N-1 compatibility (with some minor, documented discontinuities).  Therefore, that means V3.4 and V3.3 nodes can coexist in the same cluster, but not V3.5 and V3.3 nodes.

You don't have to do a two-stage migration (V3.3 -> V3.4, then V3.4 -> V3.5), you can do it in one step (V3.3 -> V3.5).  But this requires that the entire cluster be migrated in one maintenance window: both Server and Client nodes in one window, while GPFS is completely shutdown.

Here's the relevant section in the documentation:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clresctr/vxrx/topic/com.ibm.cluster.gpfs.v3r5.0.7.gpfs300.doc/bl1ins_mig32.htm