Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-09-19T02:40:52Z by Lilis Margaret
Lilis Margaret
Lilis Margaret
9 Posts

Pinned topic How to connect from client to Windows Azure Virtual Machine

‏2013-07-24T04:38:25Z |

Hi.. I'm a new user of SPSS Modeler 15. I have installed IBM SPSS Modeler 15 Server edition  in virtual machine using Microsoft Azure (operationg system: windows server 2008).. I only can logged into my cloud virtual machine use remote desktop connection. I want to ask how can i connect from my client computer to this server at cloud? What should I fill <<Server: .?..    and    Port:..?..>>  in Server Login: Add/Edit Server windows ( see attachment) Thank you.

Regards,

Lilis Margaret

Attachments

• Kenneth Jensen (IBM)
    68 Posts

Re: How to connect from client to Windows Azure Virtual Machine

‏2013-07-24T20:35:17Z  

Hi Lilis,

You should enter the IP address of your IBM SPSS Modeler Server machine in the "Server" box and the port used by the IBM SPSS Modeler Server in the "Port" box.  Assuming that you did not change the default port after installing the IBM SPSS Modeler Server and that your client and server are at the same version (version 15.0 in this case), you can leave the port at the default value.

You will need to make sure that any firewalls between your client and the server will allow traffic on the ports used by the two to communicate.  The server listens for new connections on the port that is indicated in the server connection dialog (port 28052 is the default for IBM SPSS Modeler 15.0), but additional port are required for each interactive connection that is open.  Please review the documentation that can be found at http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/spssmodl/v15r0m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.spss.modeler.help%2Fadmin_pem_performance.htm to see how you can specify the ports to be used and to get some guidance on the number of ports that might be required in your environment.

Kind Regards,

Kenneth A. Jensen, M.Sc.(Econ.)
    Managing Consultant - Predictive Analytics
    Advanced Analytics & Optimization
    Global Business Services
  • Lilis Margaret
    Lilis Margaret
    9 Posts

‏2013-07-25T10:50:00Z  

Hi Lilis,

You should enter the IP address of your IBM SPSS Modeler Server machine in the "Server" box and the port used by the IBM SPSS Modeler Server in the "Port" box.  Assuming that you did not change the default port after installing the IBM SPSS Modeler Server and that your client and server are at the same version (version 15.0 in this case), you can leave the port at the default value.

You will need to make sure that any firewalls between your client and the server will allow traffic on the ports used by the two to communicate.  The server listens for new connections on the port that is indicated in the server connection dialog (port 28052 is the default for IBM SPSS Modeler 15.0), but additional port are required for each interactive connection that is open.  Please review the documentation that can be found at http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/spssmodl/v15r0m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.spss.modeler.help%2Fadmin_pem_performance.htm to see how you can specify the ports to be used and to get some guidance on the number of ports that might be required in your environment.

Kind Regards,

Kenneth A. Jensen, M.Sc.(Econ.)
    Managing Consultant - Predictive Analytics
    Advanced Analytics & Optimization
    Global Business Services

Thank you very much for your reply.. But how can i found my machine IP address in 'cloud'? I just know the dnsname : "trusud.cloudapp.net" and I connect to it via remote desktop connection.. Can I put this dns name to "Server" box ?

Regards,

Lilis Margaret

• Wannes R.
    Wannes R.
    138 Posts

‏2013-07-25T15:06:08Z  

Thank you very much for your reply.. But how can i found my machine IP address in 'cloud'? I just know the dnsname : "trusud.cloudapp.net" and I connect to it via remote desktop connection.. Can I put this dns name to "Server" box ?

Regards,

Lilis Margaret

Assuming the DNS name is known by your host system, you can use the dns name of the server. If you want to know the ipconfig, you can just try to ping for it in a command prompt (in windows by typing "ping trusud.cloudapp.net"), and the IP adress will appear. 

• Lilis Margaret
    Lilis Margaret
    9 Posts

‏2013-07-26T03:36:13Z  
    • Wannes R.
    • ‏2013-07-25T15:06:08Z

Assuming the DNS name is known by your host system, you can use the dns name of the server. If you want to know the ipconfig, you can just try to ping for it in a command prompt (in windows by typing "ping trusud.cloudapp.net"), and the IP adress will appear. 

Thank you Rosius Wannes for your reply.. I tried to ping "trusud.cloudapp.net" but the result was like attachment below..

Attachments

• TedFischer
    TedFischer
    268 Posts

‏2013-07-26T13:01:26Z  

Thank you Rosius Wannes for your reply.. I tried to ping "trusud.cloudapp.net" but the result was like attachment below..

It looks like that the server is on some type of private network or VPN and the server name is not registered on the DNS server you are using. 

You should ask your cloud system administrator for the IP address.  Or you can login into the cloud computer, open a command prompt there and type "ipconfig".  That should provide you with an ip address (the output may be difficult to interpret). 

Once you obtain an ip address, see if you can ping that directly and if so you can use that in Modeler client.  If you want to use the actual dnsname, you need to edit your hosts file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts on your local computer. 

As Kenneth said above, you need to make sure all the needed ports are open on the server machine or Modeler client will not run properly.

Ted

• Lilis Margaret
    Lilis Margaret
    9 Posts

‏2013-09-19T02:40:52Z  

It looks like that the server is on some type of private network or VPN and the server name is not registered on the DNS server you are using. 

You should ask your cloud system administrator for the IP address.  Or you can login into the cloud computer, open a command prompt there and type "ipconfig".  That should provide you with an ip address (the output may be difficult to interpret). 

Once you obtain an ip address, see if you can ping that directly and if so you can use that in Modeler client.  If you want to use the actual dnsname, you need to edit your hosts file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts on your local computer. 

As Kenneth said above, you need to make sure all the needed ports are open on the server machine or Modeler client will not run properly.

Ted

Now I've already installed windows server 2008 and IBM Spss Modeler 15.0 Server edition within it. What should I fill in these fields, (Repository: <______> and Port:<_____>), I attached the screenshot below.

Thank you in advance. :)

Regards,

Lilis Margaret

Attachments