Topic
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-03-19T20:40:32Z by Mangesh Shirke
Mangesh Shirke
Mangesh Shirke
43 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic V7000: Performance Monitoring.

‏2014-03-16T18:32:37Z |

Hi Guys,

I was just going through performance monitor tab provided in V7000 GUI. I have noticed that there is big difference between IOPS on volume and IOPS on interface.

My question is why there is big difference between this two IOPS and how to determine this difference.

Thanks.
Mangesh Shirke

• chriscanto
    chriscanto
    276 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: V7000: Performance Monitoring.

‏2014-03-16T23:21:26Z  in response to Mangesh Shirke

Assuming you're talking about the Fibre Channel interface, there will be significantly more I/O seen in that view of performance compared with the volume view as it includes:

* node-to-node communications, including cache mirroring (which is done using 32kB tracks, so host write I/O larger than this will result in multiple I/O operations between nodes)

* the value is for send + receive, so the above activity is effectively doubled in the view (as one node sending + another receiving)

* if there is external storage being virtualised, the view includes backend (mdisk) I/O.

• Mangesh Shirke
      Mangesh Shirke
      43 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-17T03:59:59Z  in response to chriscanto

Thanks for your response. I agree on the points which you have raised. Do we have any document which talk about it in details....???

Thanks.

• TMasteen
        TMasteen
        280 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-17T17:10:44Z  in response to Mangesh Shirke

To find out what kind of IO is going through the ports, have a look at the performance data with TPC or Qperf. For example you can see KB's to\from hosts and controllers, and also node to local\remote node traffic.

• chriscanto
        chriscanto
        276 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-17T20:51:28Z  in response to Mangesh Shirke

I suggest clicking on the 'help' link in the top right of the GUI when on the performance page.