Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-11-19T20:48:59Z by DaveN
OFWHMG
OFWHMG
27 Posts

Pinned topic Java Web Start (JWS) with the z/OS Explorer

‏2013-11-18T18:46:27Z |

My coworker Keith asked on the Java Web Start page if it would be possible to use JWS with the new (V2.1) z/OS Explorer with the CICS SDK installed and he was told that it should work.  Well I tried to use the z/OS Explorer v2.1 with JWS and I cannot seem to get it to work.  My CICS_Explorer folder is illustrated in the first attachment.  I tried renameing eclipse.exe to cicsexplorer.exe but it had no effect.  The install log (see attachemnt two) does not indocate any errors nor does the Java console.

When I start JWS nothing really starts.  We would really like to use JWS with our P2 z/OS Explorer install rather than Installation Mananger.  Any help would be appreciated.

• DaveN
    DaveN
    71 Posts

Re: Java Web Start (JWS) with the z/OS Explorer

‏2013-11-19T08:37:28Z  

Hi,

The Java Web Start is an example of how it could be done, set up for CICS Explorer. The same technique could indeed work for z/OS Explorer.

There are a number of things that you'd need to change in the sample source code, in particular the eclipse.product property in the Runner java class - I guess you're trying to start up a copy of Eclipse (with the z/OS Explorer features installed into it) rather than CICS Explorer, so you'd need to use the eclipse product ID.

Also you would need to review the file names and directory names that the code is expecting and consider whether you want to change them to be more z/OS Explorer focussed, or put your z/OS Explorer into CICS Explorer-centric jars and directories.

I'd say the first place to start would be having a look at the sample source code and getting an understanding for what's happening in there.

Dave

• OFWHMG
    OFWHMG
    27 Posts

‏2013-11-19T19:01:51Z  

Dave, thanks so much for your quick reply.  I looked at Help>Installation and found org.eclipse.sdk.ide under a column called ID.  Would that be the eclipse product ID?  Thanks.

• DaveN
    DaveN
    71 Posts

‏2013-11-19T20:48:59Z  
    • OFWHMG
    • ‏2013-11-19T19:01:51Z

Dave, thanks so much for your quick reply.  I looked at Help>Installation and found org.eclipse.sdk.ide under a column called ID.  Would that be the eclipse product ID?  Thanks.

Hey - quick answer is that I'm not sure.

You can get your bearing a bit more by going to Help > About > Installation Details and then the Configuration tab. If you go there in CICS Explorer, you can see eclipse.product=com.ibm.cics.explorer.product. For a bog standard Eclipse, I don't see eclipse.product, instead I see eclipse.application=org.eclipse.ui.ide.workbench.

So it might be that you need to set that.

Essentially what you're trying to do is replicate what eclipse.exe does, but without using eclipse.exe. What happens is that you invoke the launcher jar and you need to pass in a set of parameters to make it start up correctly. I think this is googlable. You can experiment without having Java Web Start in the way by putting the launcher jar on the classpath manually.

There's a bit more info here - http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox_Launcher.

It is just a case of fiddling around and getting an understanding of what's happening - this is how I did the CICS Explorer one. Eclipse is a 3rd party technology that we build on so in terms of making alterations to just make it run Eclipse, I would be googling too!

Dave