Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-09-16T14:52:42Z by ScottALewis
ScottALewis
ScottALewis
14 Posts

Pinned topic Parameter Name Changes in the API

‏2014-09-05T22:37:24Z |

I have developed code to interact with the /searches API.  We noticed that all the parameter names changed between version 7.2.2 and 7.2.3.  Before they were 'camel case' like queryExpression and now they are lower case like query_expression.  Can someone tell me why they were changed and if they are planned to stay the same going forward? 

Thanks,

scott

• KateM (IBM)
    KateM (IBM)
    43 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Parameter Name Changes in the API

‏2014-09-08T17:52:55Z  

Hi Kate:

Thanks for the answer.  Is there a way to get advanced warning of API changes?  We will need to deploy changes to our customers in advance of the changes.

Thanks,

s

Hi Scott,

I'll see what can be done about getting upcoming API changes posted sooner.

Cheers,

Kate

• KateM (IBM)
    KateM (IBM)
    43 Posts

‏2014-09-08T14:52:02Z  

Hi Scott,

Yes, for some API endpoints you will see changes in the case of parameter names as described in the "What's new in the Qradar 7.2.3 API" posting.  We undertook an effort in 7.2.3 to standardize parameters across all API endpoints.  You can expect fields to be represented in snake_case from 7.2.3 onward. 

As we grow and evolve the Qradar API offering there will be some changes to API endpoints marked as "Experimental" (such as the Ariel API endpoints) as we improve the quality and consistency of all of our API endpoints. 

Kate

• ScottALewis
    ScottALewis
    14 Posts

‏2014-09-08T15:59:33Z  

Hi Scott,

Yes, for some API endpoints you will see changes in the case of parameter names as described in the "What's new in the Qradar 7.2.3 API" posting.  We undertook an effort in 7.2.3 to standardize parameters across all API endpoints.  You can expect fields to be represented in snake_case from 7.2.3 onward. 

As we grow and evolve the Qradar API offering there will be some changes to API endpoints marked as "Experimental" (such as the Ariel API endpoints) as we improve the quality and consistency of all of our API endpoints. 

Kate

Hi Kate:

Thanks for the answer.  Is there a way to get advanced warning of API changes?  We will need to deploy changes to our customers in advance of the changes.

Thanks,

s

• KateM (IBM)
    KateM (IBM)
    43 Posts

‏2014-09-08T17:52:55Z  

Hi Kate:

Thanks,

s

Hi Scott,

I'll see what can be done about getting upcoming API changes posted sooner.

Cheers,

Kate

• JonathanPechtaIBM
    JonathanPechtaIBM
    44 Posts

‏2014-09-16T14:46:30Z  

To follow up on this topic, we will push to see if the change statements published sooner.

Another route I would recommend to anyone using APIs is to watch for our Controlled Rollout Program offerings. In the News & Announcement forum, we post information on how to get added to the Controller Rollout program a month or two before the release of the next major QRadar update. This program would allow you use and test the next major QRadar release and validate your APIs. A dedicated support representative is assigned to you to assist with your upgrade and work through any issues or answer questions. The support representative would not be able to assist with issues in your applications leveraging the API, but you would have access to the next API version and a direct contact in support to log tickets. 

Due to a number of the API endpoints being experimental, it might also be worth talking to the system administrators about creating a maintaining/test environment. As the experimental tag indicates that there can be major changes release to release in those endpoints. A number of QRadar customers have a validation network where they evaluate software before it is deployed in their network. A validation network, in conjunction with the Controlled Rollout program would provide a non-production environment where you could test your applications a month or so before the next official software version is publicly available. I'm not sure if that is an option for most administrators, but thought I would mention it.

If you have critical applications and you want to be able to test against the next QRadar version, then I recommend that you request access to the Controlled Rollout program when it is available. If it would help, I can cross post the announcement in to the API forum.

Not sure if my answer was helpful, but I think getting the change lists posted earlier and having the option for Controlled Rollouts would be a good combination.

• ScottALewis
    ScottALewis
    14 Posts

‏2014-09-16T14:52:42Z  

To follow up on this topic, we will push to see if the change statements published sooner.

Another route I would recommend to anyone using APIs is to watch for our Controlled Rollout Program offerings. In the News & Announcement forum, we post information on how to get added to the Controller Rollout program a month or two before the release of the next major QRadar update. This program would allow you use and test the next major QRadar release and validate your APIs. A dedicated support representative is assigned to you to assist with your upgrade and work through any issues or answer questions. The support representative would not be able to assist with issues in your applications leveraging the API, but you would have access to the next API version and a direct contact in support to log tickets. 

Due to a number of the API endpoints being experimental, it might also be worth talking to the system administrators about creating a maintaining/test environment. As the experimental tag indicates that there can be major changes release to release in those endpoints. A number of QRadar customers have a validation network where they evaluate software before it is deployed in their network. A validation network, in conjunction with the Controlled Rollout program would provide a non-production environment where you could test your applications a month or so before the next official software version is publicly available. I'm not sure if that is an option for most administrators, but thought I would mention it.

If you have critical applications and you want to be able to test against the next QRadar version, then I recommend that you request access to the Controlled Rollout program when it is available. If it would help, I can cross post the announcement in to the API forum.

Not sure if my answer was helpful, but I think getting the change lists posted earlier and having the option for Controlled Rollouts would be a good combination.

Jonathan,

Thanks for the answer.  I will subscribe to that forum and keep an eye out for controlled releases.  I am also working with the partner team to certify our solution with the API with the hopes that will formalize our relationship so we can get advance notice through that process as well.

s